Anonymous Warns of Weekly Scheduled Attacks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]brown subhuman[/nom]We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.[/citation]
Grats. You memorized their motto. But are you wearing the official Anonymous briefs?

kingius

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I agree, this isn't news, this is merely publicity for the threat of a traffic jam. Only it's not even real traffic, its virtual. Somebody is paying the media to publicise this nonsense. Is Anonymous supposed to be the new terrorist threat the the public must be scared of?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
"Expect a DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) every Saturday on the UK Government sites.”

Shutting down a government site on Saturday kinda seems like a waste of time, doesn't it? Unless your intent is to ruin the weekend plans of Govt IT workers...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Lol, if it were really that simple, do you think massive corporations and government organizations would be having these problems? The real problem is that DDOS attacks aren't the real attacks in most anonymous threats, but instead merely decoys while they data-mine whoever is caught off guard.[/citation]
Oh look, somebody who doesn't know anything about security praising the skills of supposed hackers who also largely don't know anything about security.

DDoS attacks aren't decoys. If you DDoS something, you then cannot access it, because the whole point of a DDoS attack is to block access. It would be like a thief encasing a house in concrete to distract the owners while he broke in.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I wouldn't mind some more insight into what their complaints are.

"Many speculate the cause of this hacktivist uproar may be the extradition of British criminals to the United States. This has the Anonymous community up in arms because most of Anonymous group believes that the UK should deal with their own criminals instead of shipping them off to the United States." Really?

G

They aren't doing anything productive, just taking down websites. I have no problems with flys until they start annoying me - then I kill em. Everyone does this.

When they get caught, execute them for crimes against their respective country. Make an example of idiots who think they can attack a nation and get away with it. If someone was attacking my country, I wouldn't have any problem shooting someone in the head to defend what I care about. I realize most of them are children but the punishment should be the same. You'll see this crap go away real quick. Get it done.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
can't wait as the new UK laws also allow them to track these attacks and take them out with MI teams now and capture and imprison these hackers now.
best way to remove an americans rights to put them in a foreign jail for crimes comited against the crown.
wouldn't surprise me or make me fuss if they used a ship and keel hauled these hackers along the way.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh look, somebody who doesn't know anything about security praising the skills of supposed hackers who also largely don't know anything about security.DDoS attacks aren't decoys. If you DDoS something, you then cannot access it, because the whole point of a DDoS attack is to block access. It would be like a thief encasing a house in concrete to distract the owners while he broke in.[/citation]
Sony would like a word with you:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Sony-Data-Breach-Was-Camouflaged-by-Anonymous-DDoS-Attack-807651/
"Sony didn’t notice the security breaches that compromised user accounts on the PlayStation Network, Qriocity and Sony Online Entertainment because it was distracted by distributed denial of service attacks"

A successful DDoS will bring it entirely down, but you can still breach during an attack while the servers are still up.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seriously? This "threat" has all of the sophistication of a brick through a window. I am not impressed by their claims nor their methods. DDoS? Is that the best Anonymous can do? Sounds more like a bunch of bored script kiddies to me.

Next....

Status
Not open for further replies.