Antenna Ground Question

grimsleym

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I have a OTA that I need to ground, but unsure how to do this. The coax has a ground wire that is connected to a 4 way amplified splitter. I have read that I can't just attach the ground wire to a grounding rod, but that it needs to be attached to the service ground of the house. The service ground is on the opposite side of the house from the antenna and the location where the cable enters the house. Can I connect the the anntena ground to the grounding rod alone or if not can I run another lenght of ground wire on the exterior of the house from the ground wire to the service ground. I estimate the distance to be about 30 to 40 feet.

Solution
Here's what you want to do. You want to put a ground rod in the ground right underneath the antenna. Hopefully this is also where it goes into the house.

Then run a grounding wire from the antenna pole to the grounding rod.

You don't want to run the wire around the house.

Here's why.

You want the ground wire as straight as possible, as short as possible and you want to keep it away from anything that's conductive.

By running it around the house...it's a much bigger pain because you have to keep the wire away from things (otherwise you risk arcs)....plus you will have bends in the wire too.
Here's what you want to do. You want to put a ground rod in the ground right underneath the antenna. Hopefully this is also where it goes into the house.

Then run a grounding wire from the antenna pole to the grounding rod.

You don't want to run the wire around the house.

Here's why.

You want the ground wire as straight as possible, as short as possible and you want to keep it away from anything that's conductive.

By running it around the house...it's a much bigger pain because you have to keep the wire away from things (otherwise you risk arcs)....plus you will have bends in the wire too.

Solution