Antenna tv won't show DVD channel needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
DVD player and antenna tv can't get on needed channel to work together. How do I fix this? Worked fine when I had cable but when they took the cable away because I couldn't afford it then I could never get the TV back on the channel needed for the DVD to play DVDs. I can't do it with the remote I have now and I can't do it trying to push the channels on the TV manually. It will not show channel 3 or 4 for example. I don't really know what to do and I'm not good with these kinds of things and I don't have anybody who can help me so if you have any advice please let me know. The antenna channels basically won't show any movies now and I don't like most of the shows that are on so I have nothing to watch except news. Is there anything I can do to play DVDs so I can buy or rent them and at least have something to watch?

Solution
Good Luck when the new remote arrives! You will get the best quality picture from the DVD player if you use the Component connections on the back of the TV. See page 22 of the manual. The component section is the green one. You only need 2 additional RCA cables, as you can use the current yellow one as well as your 2 audio cables, by switching them over to the component section.

The composite connection (AV2), will work, it is just the lowest quality of video. I think it is 480-I, compared to 720-P (DVD Quality) for the component connections. If you are interested in learning more about the different type of connections, here is a link to an article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks to the recent responders. If I have RCA cables I don't know where they are anymore. It sounds like what I have should work. Regarding the remote, if I can find or order one that looks similar to what I have will that be OK? The problem was when I looked in the stores they had newer remotes and I didn't know if they would still work for my TV or if it had to be exactly the same remote type as my original.so I got one that was supposed to be universal and would work with various models including mine but obviously I don't have it programmed correctly or whatever so it doesn't work properly for me and I would rather just get one like I had before.so I got one that was supposed to be universal and would work with various models including mine but obviously I don't have it programmed correctly or whatever so it doesn't work properly for me and I would rather just get one like I had if necessary. I'm not sure I can change the input from the menu as I have had trouble messing with the menu before manually. I'll look for the model number on the TV when I get back home in a few minutes. Thanks again to those who are trying to help. I don't have much of a support system here where I moved so I have just tried to get by with this TV DVD issue the way it is but it's getting pretty annoying.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
OK, I will look for the manual online tomorrow (am watching TV now). I don't blame you for not having Cable. I can easily afford it, but haven't had cable for at least 10 years, as I don't like paying for a bunch of stuff I would never watch.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
judging by the pictures your DVD is part of a combo system. There should be a button on the system or on the remote for it that makes it switch between DVD and VHS. Try doing that to see if it will make it turn on to the DVD. Also, when programming the universal ONN remote you should have the booklet that came with it with all of the codes. there should be more than one code for Vizio and more than one of them will work and get you some functions on the remote but only one of them will give you all of the functions properly programmed. Try some of the other codes and see which one might let you use that button. If only one of the codes works for that TV and the input button doesn't work then there is more work to be done.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I don't have the instructions for that remote anymore. Gave up on programming it long ago. I think I should probably just try to find a replacement like my broken one. I will check Amazon or eBay if they have something similar. The DVD/VCR remote works fine but no help until the tv is on the correct channel. I tried manually working the menu, never found anything that said input, and the other things I tried didn't help. I have a tv menu setup instruction booklet - somewhere........haven't needed it in a long time and since moving it could be anywhere.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
OK, on my second pass through your TV's manual, I found out how to select the input source using the menu button on the side of the TV.

Here is a link to your manual:

http://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/legacy/va26lmanual.pdf

Go to page 47. Press the menu button on the side of the TV. Use the volume + and - buttons to scroll left and right on the main menu. Select "Setup", then use the channel select + and - buttons to scroll up and down through the setup sub-menu. Scroll down to "Source" and then use the volume + and - buttons to scroll to AV2 which is the connection on the side of the TV that your DVD player is plugged into based on the pictures you posted. When you want to watch regular TV again, you will have to go through the same procedure again and select TV as the input source. Kind of cumbersome, but it can be done. Your best bet would be to get a replacement remote for the tv, or get a universal that can be programmed so that the input button works. Perhaps your universal would work properly if programmed correctly. I don't have any experience with universal remotes, but the instructions for programming it should tell you how to set it up for the Vizeo TV.

Let me know if this works. Be sure to have the dvd player on with a dvd inserted and playing when selecting AV2 from the source menu.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Thank you very much for finding that for me! If I get desperate I will give it a try, but it does sound like it will be difficult to have to change it repeatedly to watch TV versus DVD without the remote. I went on Amazon last night and found what appears to be a replacement remote and ordered that. Hopefully when it comes I can push the input button and get everything set properly with a little hassle. Here's hoping. Thanks to everybody who helped me sort out this problem. Apparently when I went from cable to antenna is when I was no longer set up with the DVD player and then when I broke the remote I was unable to do anything after that. It's been so long I wasn't sure what the exact problem was anymore so thanks to all who helped clarify it. If I have trouble with the new remote I'll be back on here for sure!

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Good Luck when the new remote arrives! You will get the best quality picture from the DVD player if you use the Component connections on the back of the TV. See page 22 of the manual. The component section is the green one. You only need 2 additional RCA cables, as you can use the current yellow one as well as your 2 audio cables, by switching them over to the component section.

The composite connection (AV2), will work, it is just the lowest quality of video. I think it is 480-I, compared to 720-P (DVD Quality) for the component connections. If you are interested in learning more about the different type of connections, here is a link to an article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Solution

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
A big thanks to everyone who contributed. The universal remote was what was giving me trouble. I got a remote just like the broken one that originally came with my tv, and the new remote works fine and will put the tv in the right mode for the DVD player. Thanks a lot!!

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Glad you got it working with the new remote! If you can find a couple of additional RCA cables, using the Component connections on the DVD player and the back of the TV will give you a better picture, but if you are happy with the composite video connection, you are good to go.

TRENDING THREADS