Antimalware Service Executable 100% disk usage

namanhpro1990

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Hello!
I am using Windows 7 on your machine. then I upgrade Windows 10 from my Windows 7. Recently, the on screen display shows that my system is reaching 100% CPU usage.
When opening Task Manager, I saw MsMpEng.exe, which consumes 90-100% of memory. I used Malwarebytes to scan for and kill any malware but the problem is still not improving.
Need help from everyone!

Solution
Your system might be quite busy pulling in many Windows updates after a fresh install, and, depending on your internet connection, this can be time consuming....; leave it on overnight so it has a chance to complete all updates, etc...

If you check ProcessExplorer with virus-total option displayed, it might be able to reasonably confirm all processes running to be harmless....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

mdd1963

Distinguished
Your system might be quite busy pulling in many Windows updates after a fresh install, and, depending on your internet connection, this can be time consuming....; leave it on overnight so it has a chance to complete all updates, etc...

If you check ProcessExplorer with virus-total option displayed, it might be able to reasonably confirm all processes running to be harmless....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Solution

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Seconding Mdd's opinion. If your internet is slower or your system specs are low, it can take some time for Windows to fully finish the installation, especially when upgrading from one version to another. You have to give it some time.

For potential problem solution. Use RKill to kill malicious processes and see if that helps. If it doesn't, restart your PC in "Safe mode with networking" and attempt to do Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, and Hitman Pro scans there. Let me know if this helps.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Some systems are going to be hammered more than others during even a Defender scan... the little 1.6 GHz Atom-based laptops are slower than proverbial snot.....; add a slow internet, and a scan on a 5400 rpm drive, and a WIndows update, and watching paint dry becomes an exciting alternative hobby.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
I had a nice laugh from the remark, but the truth is, systems like that are still very much there. A good recommendation is to consider an upgrade to your system. While it can be a little financial taxing, the benefit and speed at which you can work/use the internet are worth it in the end.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Every time I jump back to the wife's 5400 rpm laptop with a Celeron while traveling abroad, I want to heave it off the hotel's balcony the first hour or two; I have little patience anymore after being spoiled with high speed internet, M.2 drives, etc... :( However, once it is done with overnight updates, it straightens itself out to only 'semi-slow' the following day normally.... :)