Any Chrome OS users out There? Would love your opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
So I think I have decided I want a Chromebook. I intended to wait for the upcoming Windows OS, but considering my intended use... I think Chromebook is a valid option at the moment. Especially since my HP Pavillion dv4 looks as if it's about to die at any second.

I have narrowed down my choices to the Acer 720 and 720P (4gig versions) or the new Toshiba with IPS display. I don't plan on doing anything intensive, just Word processing and heavy web browsing (for study use at the library).

My questions:
For those of you who initially hadn't used a touchscreen... Does it make a world of difference? Does it justify the $100 increase?

Is the 1080p IPS display for toshiba and downgraded cpu worth it?

I am leaning toward the Acer 720 4 gig RAM and haswell cpu, but if anyone has a case for an IPS display or Touchscreen... I am all ears. I don't have ANY experience with either of these features.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N99FXIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=26DCH4K8G0NQV&coliid=IE16LH5M508VY

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNPD1OY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=26DCH4K8G0NQV&coliid=I24YNCHELEQB74

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDQYJUI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=26DCH4K8G0NQV&coliid=I2IH5W27GD6IB2&psc=1

Solution
Would depend on the tabs. If there are any Flash or Java applications running on them, it will slow you down a fair bit. It'll usually be from ads and things, so you can use various ad block and script/Flash/Java blockers to cut down on that. Still, I suppose in that scenario you might want to learn more towards the Haswell processors.

One thing to keep in mind then is the power draw and heat. The Toshiba uses a Bay Trail which, while offering a less performance than the Haswells, draws much less power, resulting in less heat and a more silent system.
Personally, would go with the Toshiba not because of the IPS display but because of the 13" size and the 1920x1080 resolution. The IPS display will look gorgeous, of course.

Don't think you'll really need much processing power for what you want to do, so it should ultimately come down to the displays and available ports. The touchscreen seems to have 3 USB ports as opposed to the other two's 2 ports, which might be important for you.

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

What about video watching? I don't watch livestreams often but I do occasionally when taking breaks. is CPU power that big a deal for youtube or other services? Thanks for the reply.

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I do plan on having A LOT of tabs open. I currently have 15 and counting. Wouldn't RAM cover this? How much impact does a CPU have on a browser with a ton of tabs open plus 1 video stream?

Would depend on the tabs. If there are any Flash or Java applications running on them, it will slow you down a fair bit. It'll usually be from ads and things, so you can use various ad block and script/Flash/Java blockers to cut down on that. Still, I suppose in that scenario you might want to learn more towards the Haswell processors.

One thing to keep in mind then is the power draw and heat. The Toshiba uses a Bay Trail which, while offering a less performance than the Haswells, draws much less power, resulting in less heat and a more silent system.

Solution

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks a ton for the great info, Titillating!

Anyone else have opinions on a touchscreen? It's inclusion in my Chromebook race stems mainly from curiosity? Is this curiosity justified?
Otherwise it's down to Acer C720 and the Toshiba.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.