Any Free Antivirus software for Windows 2003 Server?

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi,

One of my computers has Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 (don't ask), and I don't really use it as a server, but rather as a workstation. I have a corporate licence, and therefore the Windows Server-to-XP conversion pack doesn't work for me.

The point is, I am wondering if there are any free (not a trial version) Antivirus software that's compatible with Win 2003...

I have talked to and e-mailed Bitdefender's Technical support, and they have said they would tell me of any method/patch to work around the compatibility issue, but have not gotten any replies yet. The reason is, I think Bitdefender is the best antivirus. If anyone knows if there are ways to install Bitdefender v8 Free, that would be appreciated also.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kranitz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Well I use clamwin as a secondary AV for most all my computers. It doesn't have an active scan, but It does work for Win2k3.

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, I use ClamWin too...
And, I do have McAfee Enterprise 8.0 on there, but strangely, it detects viruses that ClamWin does not. I hope it's not detecting ClamWin as a virus. And I don't know which antivirus to trust, on which is the more trustworthy one.

What primary antivirus do you use?

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi,
thanks for the reply.

I don't mean to sound rude by questioning you, but are you sure AVG Free works in Win 2003? Perhaps if I search around the 'net for older (Pre- v7.5?) versions it will work, or maybe there is a patch, or a workaround?
Because I think I remember trying to install it, and it said it couldn't install.

Kranitz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I think I use Mcafee enterprise too. It has the shield shaped icon in the taskbar. I was kinda disappointed when the normal mcafee suite wouldn't work on win2k3.

jameswil

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Jameswil
I run CA AV on my server. Runs fine. Downloaded for free from Time-Warner.