Any idea what this patch on my laptop is?

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Hi!

I was looking to upgrade my laptop and found this patch on the cover of the hard drive and ram section.

QUue2i9.jpg

I know this may sound silly to ask, but just wanted to be sure before dropping cash on new components :p

Just wanted to ask if it could be water damage or something? If so, would it be safe to upgrade the components now? Or could the potential damage affect the new parts?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

This is what the panel looks like under the patch. As far as I can see, the patch doesn't go through to the bottom of the panel, but it's a little difficult tell exactly because if that silver bit.

Just to note, the patch goes directly on top of the area where my hard drive sits.

IOIeaIt.jpg

Solution
If it all looks good aside from whatever it is on the outside of the case, I don't see how that can do anything bad to the system. If the computer is running fine, clean that off and use it.

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Remove the panel and see what it looks like under that. Bit hard to tell from the image, could be label residue, could be dried up something.

Sorry about that, I've updated the question with a picture of the bottom of the panel.