Solved! Anyone else having pause issue on SamSung? (S7)

godlytoys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I have a Galaxy S7. I love it. I use it all day every day. Just last week, it started pausing. Almost like a lag. My first thought was "oh, time for a new phone, but I DONT WANT a new phone". I think a recent update may have caused this issue. Anyone else experiencing or have any solutions?

Here is more info:
1) If I am playing a game, like Puzzles and Dragons, it pauses and ultimately messes up the game. For instance, if I am moving a gem when it pauses, even if I keep my finger in place, it will drop the gem on resume and messes up my turn. Most of the time killing me on the level.
2) In google maps, it will periodically minimize the map if I have other apps running. Even if I don't press anything.
3) If I am watching a video in full (tilted) screen, it will come out of it without me pressing anything.
4) I have rebooted the phone, updated the PRL and Profile to no change.
5) I have booted into diag mode and cleared the cache partition to no change.
6) Just now, I was watching videos on fb and it would pause the video (I would have to hit play again to continue). I am confident it is happening every 1 minute. It stopped at 1:15 and I resumed and then it stopped at 2:19 again then 3:24. It takes me a few seconds to press resume. . .

I have Sprint and unlimited data plan so I don't think its the network. At home and work (places I have had no issues in the last 8 years) I get these pauses, so it's not location.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

Solution
Well, it could be the phone's OS when updated. It could also be something else like a virus, malware, bad app, etc.

Also, while you have the unlimited, it could still be the carrier/service provider. If you use a lot of data they could be throttling your speeds.

I would suggest checking with the carrier/service provider and then also check the phone for viruses, malware and any recently added apps or updates to apps that could be the cause.

A way to check it (at least to a point) is to put the phone in "Safe Mode" and see if you get the stopping. You won't be able to access most apps in that mode, so you will be limited on what you can test. However, if it doesn't happen in there, then it is likely a virus, malware, or bad app.

To...

godlytoys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I confirmed it is happening every 1 minute. I opened Puzzles and dragons and watched the animations and had the clock open on my PC (shows the seconds hand). Every 35 on the minute it would pause animation in game for 1 second. Clockwork. Every minute.

I turned on then off power saving mode. No change.
I removed the last app I installed (happened to be Lyft). No change.

Ideas?

Well, it could be the phone's OS when updated. It could also be something else like a virus, malware, bad app, etc.

Also, while you have the unlimited, it could still be the carrier/service provider. If you use a lot of data they could be throttling your speeds.

I would suggest checking with the carrier/service provider and then also check the phone for viruses, malware and any recently added apps or updates to apps that could be the cause.

A way to check it (at least to a point) is to put the phone in "Safe Mode" and see if you get the stopping. You won't be able to access most apps in that mode, so you will be limited on what you can test. However, if it doesn't happen in there, then it is likely a virus, malware, or bad app.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Solution

godlytoys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Thanks for this. I booted into safe mode and watched a 5 minute video in youtube (one of the apps available) and no pauses.

I booted back to normal mode and downloaded two different virus scanners (AVG and something else) and neither found anything malicious. Just "recommendations".

I watched the same video and every minute it would pop out of full screen mode (and continue playing). Definitely not the same behavior as in safe mode.

I have a feelings if I contact carrier support they are going to want me to try putting it back to default settings and wipe it. I am not going to do that. Any other suggestions?

You scanned for viruses but that doesn't scan for malware. Also, recent apps installed or updated? Any of those could be causing it.

Make sure all apps are off, no one running, when you try it. If you have to, go into "Settings" and then "Apps" to "Force Stop" and non-system/non-necessary apps that are running when you start up the phone and then see if you have problems. If no problems while they are stopped, then it is an app. You just have to figure out which one.