Anyone hear of Cryptolocker, thoughts?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Recently a ransomware virus called "CryptoLocker" has become a bigger issue to anyone on a Windows pc. It basically encrypts all your files -EVERYTHING- with a custom key and you have to pay ~$300 for it to decrypt your files. Here you can see it works to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiGSr-HSPb0

Anyways, have you heard about it? Worried about it possibly affecting you? Im thinking of actually startting regular backups of my files and system images.

Any feedback and replies welcome!

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I had a few of my clients get hit with this, it is nasty. If you have a network share drive on the infected computer it will also encrypt any file on that network share. The only way we were able to recover is my one client has good backups, and in the registry of the computer is the list of encrypted files. My other client did not have backups and the whole company share folder got encrypted. In the end we payed the ransom to get the other half of the key. The other thing that sucks is you have I think 72 hours to pay the ransom or they key to decrypt the files will be deleted.