AOL Ditches ICQ; Who Still Uses ICQ Anyway?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This doesn't address the fate of Mirablis.

More important than ICQ is IrCQNet, the IRC network administered by Mirablis. It opened on July 5, 1998. I've been a regular there since Feb or March of 2000.

It was a wide-open net at that time, and remained so until Mirablis switched to unReal IRCd in August of 2002. Since then, it has become more and more restricted with a good half of the standard IRC commands disabled.

G

It is amazing that you can go on ebay.com and bid on icq numbers.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
AAAhhh ICQ..
I remember back in the days of dialup I had a 28.8 dialup modem using Netscape and ICQ. I started using Microsofts messanger because it seemed like all of my friends had it and those who didn't could easily start using it since it was built into the OS.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Sorry for the double post but just 1 more thing to add...
Today I don't use an instant messanger at all. Today's verson of instant messanging is texting on your phone. I bet if you checked overall usage of these instant messangers you would see a sharp decline while phone texting went up on a sharp incline.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I can't remember my old icq # and password so I created a new one a few years ago. It is a pretty nice client, better than the plain AIM one but just knowing that AOL had a hand in it in 1998 lost my interest and I quit using it. I still have buddies on my AIM that refuse to use MSN but I rarely ever talk to them. The show up in google talk...I wonder if there is a way to abandon the AIM portion of google talk. I don't like seeing those crappy AOL icons in my google.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Ah, I haven't thought of ICQ in years... When AOL took over and started mucking with it, I droped ICQ. As of today, I still rarely ever use any IM.

My ICQ number was around 25,000 (1996~97), that is all I remember.

Oh well.

h83r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
We still use ICQ at work, and man, it is riddled with ads these days. I finally just decided to link Jabber to my ICQ to avoid all the 'talking' ads.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
AOL LMAO! Please dont report on this crap. Although I will say it did make me laugh. No one cares about AOL and the only people who do dont even know yet that they really dont. Let AOL die in peace.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Haven't checked the "monthly fee" on AOL recently, but last time it was around $20+ for dial up. Those who pay $20 a month for dial up is either too old or too stupid.

earthwormsvx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I'm also a Trillian user but started it all with ICQ and what is essentially a 5 digit number (11xxxx) considering they started at 100000. I still use the account but not much.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I only used ICQ back when I played UO of course this was back when the game was released and things like ventrillo and teamspeak weren't around back then.

G

ICQ was the first IM network I ever used. My account number is 8 digits. However, I haven't used any of the IM networks in years. It was simply taking up too much of my time with people always wanting to chat when I was trying to do other things. Marking myself as away all the time defeated the purpose.

G

the numbers used to register in sequence but then they changed it to random megabillion numbers. i'm in the 3rd million reg'ed. had a 6 digit but lost it

Status
Not open for further replies.