App Inventor for Android: Dev't for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Finally an IDE from Google. I'm sorry, but eclipse is too ancient for me. Now we need a full IDE not one for dummies.[/citation]Eclipse isn't just an IDE, it's practically an OS.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I think I'm going to sign up and check this out, I currently use Eclipse for the bit of Android programming that I do, but I'd be interested to see how capable App Inventor is.

G

Actually, I quite like Eclipse. I've completely migrated to it for all the supported languages that I use. Of course, I'd just be using a text editor otherwise.

This graphical IDE may allow Joe wannabe to whip up something, but ultimately it's just going to flood the market with poorly-programmed apps. Good developers are intimately familiar with their code.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Eclipse is getting worse with every release... Unstable, Features not working, difficult to configure certain perspectives (PHP), slow like hell (try developing something having ZendFramework in the include_path), crashing sometimes, issues with SVN out of a box... Yet it's best IDE I've managed to find... the only one that is better is Zend Studio - but it's not free - so sort of - out of range... I cannot say Eclipse is BAD... it's not... it just lacks the "integration" and "smoothness" - that evil MS gives you when it comes to their Express Series...

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I guess this is good for newbies learning the basics. But a true Android dev will probably use DroidDraw to generate the XML (saves a hell of a lot of time for me) and do the rest via code.

joe20king

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
This looks like it has potential... Just like appOmator for the iPhone which has been out since january.
I recommend you check it out if you have an iPhone.

http://www.appomator.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.