App Makers Sued Over Secret Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Advertising profiles have become a hot topic in recent lawsuits and will likely continue to upset many more people, but are they really all that harmful?
Why would such ridiculous question even be asked?

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Do I like it? Nope... but at least for Android (not sure about iOS) when you download an app it says what the app can access. Unless they’re not fully disclosing information at that point then I can see an issue, but if they are disclosing everything then by installing the app it appears you're giving permission.

Could things be clearer? Certainly. Should every app at least have an option to hide location and RDID info? Of course.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Why would such ridiculous question even be asked?[/citation]

Because I personally love all these adds that tom's has in the comments. Its a perfect addition to our reading experience.

I WANT these people to have my profile.

..........Do i seriously need to put the /end sarcasm?

Memoscorp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom][/nom]Because the UDIDs of devices cannot be changed, users are helpless to apps that make use of these ID numbers for advertising purposes.[/citation]

UDID Faker.

gbean02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I do not like advertising that follows me as I scroll. I realize advertising is needed, but to make it annoying will lead to losing customers.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I am in favor of anything that shuts down the incessant advertising. Furthermore, if fraud was involved, I'd prefer to see Death for the guilty. It won't happen, but it's what I'd like to see.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Stoogie[/nom]Android > iOS[/citation]

While this statement is true and false all at the same time and incites great debater. Really this statement is just trolling. But I do find it funny that checking every app is getting apple in hot water because they touted that as a plus compared to Android Market. Well it seems we are no more safe with big brother watching. It will be interesting to see if they can prove that Apple actually had knowledge of these advertisement profiles. And how are they going to explain that they didn't. Because even with that they lose. Because they prove that they are not testing well and then what's the point. They really can't win on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.