Apple’s MacBook Pro: Rotting Core?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
There isn't much to say at this point in time,as the point to Apple's wares could be shown as a fault that Apple's has come to know,and really doesn't care.Regardless of any artcles that point a finger at Apple's way of doing business,mean less to us in our PC world,and even less to MacBook uses?Point being they'll still sell and people will buy.Just like the stories we hear about Microsoft's ways of gaining over the market of owning a OS,It hasn't changed a thing.

G

I can tell this is a geek site, not a business site. What on earth makes you think the price of anything is determined by the cost of the components inside? The only thing that determines the price of something is what the market will bear. Obviously Apple's market for laptops has found a $2K level at which they maximize margins. Period.

Other laptop manufacturers price their product like the commodity parts inside because the laptops themselves are commoditized products. They are not competing against Apple anymore than Kia competes against BMW. And don't bring up the component argument - my BMW glass comes from Chrysler and the transmission comes from Cadillac. But is the BMW worth the higher price? Yes, because the ownership experience is that much better - or at least perceived as such.

Put another way, Apple prices its products according to market position. Their laptops are perceived to be the high-end experience and that market position is $2k. As long as that perception doesn't change, neither will the price. When the new line comes out, it will still be $2k because experience has taught Apple that $2k is the sweet spot for the top market position.

So now you can argue that your breakdown of the components inside PROVE that Apple is NOT the top tier. Good luck with that. Apple has won that spot not by lying to the public but through performance. I am an IT consultant and generally get hardware from each of my clients. So as I sit here with my third Dell in two years from "client A" and am boxing up my second HP for repair with "client B", I am typing this on my 5-year-old 17" Powerbook G4 on a 7 year-old 32" Cinema display on which I still code.

Last week I brought my wife's 5-year-old 15" Powerbook to my Apple store because it stopped charging. They took it in and called me the next day saying it was fixed FREE because the problem was similar to one the machine had FOUR-YEARS-AGO that they also fixed under warranty. Fixed in two days and even gave me a new battery, too! It will now be sent to my cousin who I am sure will make good use of it for a few more years.

Will I pay $2K for the next gen Macbook Pro? You bet.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Also, how is Joe Consumer supposed to know the difference between Core 2, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and i5/i7 chips? The only way is because I just listed them from oldest to newest. Numbers are easier: 2GHz, 1.5GHz, 3.2GHz...but once again, how the hell does some non-tech savvy consumer know the difference? You go into a Best Buy and yes, the numbers are all there, but there's 20 models from 30 companies with 50 different numbers. By the time you look at 3, your head's spinning.

Apple, alternatively, does away with the confusion. They sell only the latest models, and those looking to spend less can go to their online outlet store, or buy it used from someone else. They have limited customization for laptops, and its expensive and generally intended for the more expensive models. Sure, they don't offer i5 or i7 chipsets yet, but so what? Most companies don't sell those CPUs in laptops widespread yet, and the way Apple does it, everyone knows that there's a new, faster, better Macbook available. Every single convention or showing they do shows off one of their products, all the media swoops in (ourselves included), and everyone immediately knows.
Uh just to say I am 17 and I built my computer from scratch and it runs at 30 C idle with and i7-920 at 3.6 Ghz and ran 24 hrs and 2 mins straight on prime95 full load all cpu's 6 gigs ddr3 1600 mhz and at full load my case hits 40C all with air cooling. and pretty much if your not teh savvy you ask someone around you... they have to give you the inside out of the computer. and right now about 20 different laptops sell with the i3/i5/i7 and some can overclock and a 1920x1080 screen and 8 gigs ddr3 all for $1600 and the lower lines cost only about $700-$1200 plus some include face detection for a password so don't be spouting something if you don't know anything about whats out there. Acer sells the overclocking i7 laptop and its service I found is better than the stupid Apple because they charge big money then don't support their own products or warranties. they make cheap sell big and rip us off of our money (only those stupid enough to actually buy from them) then don't give anything in return. so there you have it jamezrp, a 17 year old just out did you in the tech world because you thought you knew what you didn't

G

There is a BIG problem with the introduction to this article. The next MacBooks will most likely use the Arrandale version of the Core i3/i5/i7 but that wasn't officially announced by Intel until early Jan. 2010 (just two months ago). Yet this article claims that the "Core i7 (and Core i5)" has been out for six months. However, the only MOBILE version of the Core i7 that was introduced last year is the quad-core Clarksfield processor which at 45-55W TDP is too battery inefficient to use in a MacBook.

Furthermore, the only Core i5 that Intel markets as a MOBILE processor is from the Arrandale family and those have just now begun to ship. Therefore, the MacBook Pro "core" isn't so rotten as suggested by this article. Either that, or this author doesn't know the difference between the Arrandale, Clarksfield, and Lynnfield processor families. Here is a link that includes the release dates and TDPs for Intel's Core processors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

G

Tech pundits know this all too well. It's what I feared the most as soon as they switched to the intel side. Now they're just like every other PC manufacturer (yes, they do innovate but as the article states the PC industry catches up. Like, really fast.) The second spell towards this disaster was when Apple dropped the line 'computer' from it's business name. Apple Computer Inc. suddenly became Apple Inc. and it's clear that they're no longer interested in their core platform.

Buying a MBP is borderline crazy but there are people who are still buying them to this day (even devoted Mac fans) because, well, the company doesn't have anything else on offer.

Time and time again, I'm tempted by the offerings from the PC side. Microsoft has finally hit a home run with Windows 7 which is more than a Vista SP2 and with their growing confidence, they're in a really good position at the moment. I've sold my MBP in anticipation for an update, but I'm almost ready to switch back (if only a certain Apple creative program ran on Windows!)

With all the Apple hatred going around (Apple suing HTC, Nokia, not getting along with Google and making its own chips upsetting Intel) I think Apple really has to reimerge. But it doesnt have to because most people still swear by their iPods, iPhones and sexy unibody MBPs. And as a company they're doing ridiculously well despite their monopolistic practices.

G

Apple..expensive aka people who have lots of money to buy it...i prefer gaming laptop like alienware or msi gx640 or asus g51v...more powerful but cheaper than apple mac pro...i like apple too but the prices...a bit steep for people like me...not much of deep pockets

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Apple has lost performance to the hardware manufacturers ASUS and MSI years ago so it should be no surprise that they are going to stomp the floor with them in the future. The obvious example is the ASUS G71JH-A1 which is the same price point as the MacBook but performs at desktop speeds.

I don't think people who buy Apple really want performance because if they did those are the manufacturers you would look at. I think the people who buy Apples want aesthetics, so a new design is a must I would say.
The rumored hardware in the new MacBook Pro's seem terrible. Core i5 and a nVidia mobile GPU. Definetly not the creme de la crop.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I have come to the conclusion most mac users have no idea about hardware. They buy it on the fact that it is pretty. Why would you spend 2 grand for a laptop with old hardware in it. I would expect an I7 chip and a big ssd drive not an old core 2. And why does it cost 300 to 500 to go from a 2.53 ghz chip to 2.8 or so. If most mac users knew anything about hardware they would not buy it I think.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]annon7[/nom]There is a BIG problem with the introduction to this article. The next MacBooks will most likely use the Arrandale version of the Core i3/i5/i7 but that wasn't officially announced by Intel until early Jan. 2010 (just two months ago). Yet this article claims that the "Core i7 (and Core i5)" has been out for six months. However, the only MOBILE version of the Core i7 that was introduced last year is the quad-core Clarksfield processor which at 45-55W TDP is too battery inefficient to use in a MacBook.Furthermore, the only Core i5 that Intel markets as a MOBILE processor is from the Arrandale family and those have just now begun to ship. Therefore, the MacBook Pro "core" isn't so rotten as suggested by this article. Either that, or this author doesn't know the difference between the Arrandale, Clarksfield, and Lynnfield processor families. Here is a link that includes the release dates and TDPs for Intel's Core processors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7[/citation]

Yeah, the writer has done next to no research and is talking out of his rear end on the most part. One would think a Toms Hardware writer would have a little more of a grip on CPUs, chipsets and availability of parts etc.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
There are many factors that play into price gouging of the consumer.

First off...they don't have to rely on being competitive with any one particular device. They have so many different products that give them market share in that particular segment and huge profits that it really is surprising that they use this position of profit (greed) and DON'T actually cut prices to take even more market share away from the PC.

If Apple did not innovate and create the ipod, iphone and delve into the song and application market with itunes you can bet that prices and technology advances would be much more competitive and timely. Instead...there is a good chance you have already bought one of the aforementioned devices and if you are a PC user who is really computer illiterate often wonder if buying the any iteration of Mac would make your life easier like the commercials say.

But...then Apple also relies on it's Mac purists to spread the word about how great the Mac is and how smart they are for purchasing one. I had an arguement with one guy on a forum about how smart he was because he was using a Mac. I quickly replied that any doofus with a credit card can run down to the Mac store can buy an overpriced Mac. Would that make me as smart as him? Funnily enough he never replied.

It's slick marketing. It's like taking candy from a baby. Only the people who are saavy and read these tech articles know what is really going on. That's why Apple can still charge whatever they want. Until someone makes a commercial to illustrate these glaring inconsistencies in price (which might snap the Mac corporate juggernaut lawyer team into action?) they will continue to screw anyone and everyone that wants what they have to offer.

Can you do an article on the video card fiasco with MacPros? I really hate how far behind they are with video card offerings. I just recently purchased a 4870 Mac Edition because they 5870 is nowhere to be seen (it's been out for close to a year now already!!!)

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
You forget only one think in this article.
Mac OS and Mac software are optimized for see you have an OLD hardware.
On a Mac, when you play video with QuickTimes, the application have build-in restriction. Play an h.264 mov with the best quality. This should take a large part of the CPU. The fact is... the quality of the video is decease and the cpu load is low. Just play the same video with VCL, and the quality is here!

Apple doesn't talk about this... probably cause he doesn't want to.
Anyway Apple users doesn't take time to understand that... or understand theirs software bundle will cost them the double of the price.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Great article. Interestingly, I had just noticed this problem last week when looking at apple's current offerings. I was surprised to see they were so behind the times (I couldn't believe that what I was looking at was 2 year old hardware at the same 2 year old price).

Dell has had i5s and i7s in their laptops for several months now. Heck, you can get a Dell laptop with a core i7 920QM, 320 GB HDD, and 4 GB of ram for under a grand.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I am always annoyed by the people who say “who is interested in apple”. This is my first post at toms because I don't like to make posts but, to answer your questions, I am an enthusiast, I have 4ghz i7 on water-cool.

I am interested in apple products and want information on hardware, software etc ... Just like any other computer product. Please next time speak for yourself instead of for me.

G

I think you might have missed the point, Apple is a brand around software and user experience, making products that just works.

Also changing notebooks every 6 months is actually not a reality to most of us, even though, replacing an old Mac with a new one is much more painless than replacing a PC, when using technologies such as time machine or mobile me.

In addition, the PC industry is driven by cost, then all PC brands fight for price. Apple thinks they should pursue quality and consumer experience, which are aspects often not well addressed in other products.

Personally speaking, I wish I could buy a 27" iMac or 15" MacBook Pro for just USD 999.00, but I prefer to buy a Mac at 1999.00 than a PC at 999.00, the construction and experience, specially with Time Machine/Capsule and Mobile Me, are enough.

G

This article is full of egregious errors and was clearly poorly thought out. Tom's should be ashamed for publishing this pile of crap.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]8888[/nom]This article is full of egregious errors and was clearly poorly thought out. Tom's should be ashamed for publishing this pile of crap.[/citation]
We're ready to address any fact-checks you'd like. Please be specific and we will evaluate your suggestions.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I bought a 15" 2.66 w/ 9600GPU in November, including Parallels 5 and doubling the RAM, for just barely over $1800. There's retail price, and there's the price it's on sale for. Lets not forget. But yes, Apple can hold that price a LOT longer. When sales begin to slide, they do offer discounting (MPB price did drop twice in last 2 years btw).

As for the next new MBP: I think BR is a non starter. It really has no necessity in a notebook. Almost all the BR media being sold comes with digital copies today, and HD content is easily available through a lot of other providers. If it's available at all, it better be an option, and it better be a writer first, reader second...

As far as processors and other specs, for $2K, I'd expect in the pro line that it not be a cut back i7, as Dell offers, but a slightly more powerful version of it, and that chip only as an option with the i5 standard. I'd expect likely on the 17" to come in quad core version.
I expect 4GB base, with 8GB standard in the higher end lines. Tripple chip slots, not double, DDR3 at 1333 or faster. I expect reasonably prices SSDs in 128 and 256 GB to be options but still basic yet high speed HDD standard on all the models.

LED backlit IPS panels, slightly higher resolution, and an adjustment in ratio to more fit HD content. GPU includes Optimus or equiv technology, and even the base model will have 1080p native h.264 playback capabilities (not the Intel embedded GPU). The secondary GPU option will be something we have not seen yet, not the most powerful on the market, but ahead of the curve and at least 2-4x the power of the 9600.

Slight improvements in battery life, but not much. A fraction of a mm thinner too, still unibody construction, but an even thinner (and yet somehow more solid feeling) screen.

I think 3G will make a debut in the machine, as an option, if not a way to wirelessly tether, same data plan options as the iPad, $29 and no contract.

Add wireless HDMI/DisplayPort to this equation as well, and although i think its a complete waste, USB3. The MBPs 15"+ will retain firewire, but it will likely disappear from the other machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.