Apple Accused of Copying Design of Swiss Clock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lolkillerbr

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Samsung should buy the Swiss company, sue Apple for 3 billion dollars and make sure that the next iPhone comes with nothing more than digital clepsydras.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Come on!

Who really thinks that apple is going to be sued? I mean, apple will likely make an arrangement off court with said company.

After all, who doesn't like easy money?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, if this wasnt apple, would it really matter? i mean its a clock, they all have 60 seconds, a minute hand and a hour hand, and the higher end ones also a second hand, only reason its even here is the ball at the end of the second hand. google "clock second hands"and you will see a decorative second hand inst all that uncommonnow would this be a big deal if it wanst apple? would we defend them, probably with my argument?[/citation]
It would be a big deal; you have to admit though that it was Apple who brought on frivolous lawsuits with "squares with round corners" things.
If you honestly believe that a phone with a different screen ratio, bigger screen, and a big fat SAMSUNG logo looks identical to an iPhone, then you need to believe that this design is identical to the Swiss one (which actually is). Otherwise, you're just blinded by your iOS love...
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Let's the iHating continue....[/citation]
Nah, let's let them sit this one out now, after all, they're just innovating, Steve Jobs' style. Right?
*another one that can't see the forest because of the trees...*

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]geometry 101[/nom]I thought it was apple who owned the patents for rectangles and circles not a train company, world never seizes to amaze.[/citation]
I's not a patent it's a registered trademark that they hold with this design, it would be like another company using an apple with a bite taken out of it. Now we all know that Apple has gone after companies who just use an apple in their design no matter how different it is to their logo, yet here Apple is taking the entire design this company owns without asking. Has nothing to do with patents but that this design and the color scheme has been trademarked and is a symbol that the company is known for (and yes it is unique enough to be trademarkable).

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The second hand of the Swiss original is a straight bar thru the center.
Apples second hand has clearly a small circle in the center.
This innovative feature clearly not just upgrades the Apple clock but also
completely invalidates the Swiss design as dated and outmoded.

The Swiss should have to pay Apple to be allowed to add the circle to their clocks !

/sarcasm (as if that is needed)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Apple would have to settle this out-of-court. Otherwise whatever argument they bring up in their defense could also be used by Samsung.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
So what is going to happen when national parks or art museums start suing people for taking pictures of these landmarks or artwork and posting them online? Or if some family just so happens to be posing in front of Disney Castle. So Apple or any other company liked the style of the clock, in this case, Apple did not copy of the internal parts of the clock it stylized the front of the clock. So next time I am in Swiss "land" I have to remember not to take pictures or at least blur out the background so I do not get sued...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]So what is going to happen when national parks or art museums start suing people for taking pictures of these landmarks or artwork and posting them online? Or if some family just so happens to be posing in front of Disney Castle. So Apple or any other company liked the style of the clock, in this case, Apple did not copy of the internal parts of the clock it stylized the front of the clock. So next time I am in Swiss "land" I have to remember not to take pictures or at least blur out the background so I do not get sued...[/citation]

The front style is what is trademarked, so your argument is moot.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Apple's argument: our clock doesn't have black (RGB 0,0,0), it's 10,10,10; our clock is only a few inched wide, have shorter minute hands and doesn't have a frame; and ours doesn't sport a logo. When we look at your (Swiss) clock, we also don't see a logo... you copied us? We'll counter sue!

This is Apple. Only looking for their patents infringed by other companies and not the other way around.

@AndrewMD: If the picture's not going to be sold, then they're fine. Unless you're telling me that iCraps are free?

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]LOOOL! Let the iSheep butthurt begin![/citation]
I normally see more Apple haters butthurt about good news with Apple. It makes me butthurt to see such ignorance and hypocrisy from someone who prefers Android over iOS. It's like watching fellow atheists telling someone that God doesn't exist and that they are not going to heaven in a funeral.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]I normally see more Apple haters butthurt about good news with Apple. It makes me butthurt to see such ignorance and hypocrisy from someone who prefers Android over iOS. It's like watching fellow atheists telling someone that God doesn't exist and that they are not going to heaven in a funeral.[/citation]

That's really not the best analogy.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]So what is going to happen when national parks or art museums start suing people for taking pictures of these landmarks or artwork and posting them online? Or if some family just so happens to be posing in front of Disney Castle. So Apple or any other company liked the style of the clock, in this case, Apple did not copy of the internal parts of the clock it stylized the front of the clock. So next time I am in Swiss "land" I have to remember not to take pictures or at least blur out the background so I do not get sued...[/citation]

There is a difference in taking a picture of something, and then taking someone's trademarked logo to use as a piece of your commercial product.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
If you were taking your family vacation photos of Disney World and selling a virtual tour through Disney, you would get your a$$ sued off.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]It would be a big deal; you have to admit though that it was Apple who brought on frivolous lawsuits with "squares with round corners" things.If you honestly believe that a phone with a different screen ratio, bigger screen, and a big fat SAMSUNG logo looks identical to an iPhone, then you need to believe that this design is identical to the Swiss one (which actually is). Otherwise, you're just blinded by your iOS love...Nah, let's let them sit this one out now, after all, they're just innovating, Steve Jobs' style. Right?*another one that can't see the forest because of the trees...*[/citation]

dont get me wrong, hate apple and all the crap they brought, but really, i see this as a minimalism clock, that has larger second notches to make it easier to see, the only part that makes it similar to the swiss one is the second hand ball.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]If Steve were still there this would result in an instant firing spree.[/citation]
If Steve were still there he would have found a way to counter-sue the SBB for letting their railway clocks copy the Apple clock-app ********wrzzzzzzz*****realitydistortionfield*****wwwwrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzz************

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Jobs once said that they are not shy of coping good designes of others. Shame they do not allow others to do the same and get mad when they get cough. Well the rule in primitive cultures is:" We still cow good, our cow stolen bad" - this should be apple motto for the past 4+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.