Apple Accused of Copying Design of Swiss Clock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Come on anyone would think of that design!!! LOL!!! Apple sucks hard ballz ... but yes I bought the iphone 5. I hate myself.[/citation]

Yes, just like every touch-screen interface designer think about icons arranged in a rectangular screen. BTW, I plus one your post since it makes sense.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]adbat[/nom]Jobs once said that they are not shy of coping good designes of others. Shame they do not allow others to do the same and get mad when they get cough. Well the rule in primitive cultures is:" We still cow good, our cow stolen bad" - this should be apple motto for the past 4+ years[/citation]
Reading this actually hurts my eyeballs (o_O)

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom] Either way, it's a change to see Apple, usually so quick to lawyer up at the first sight of any similarity, caught with what appears to be a blatant case of copying.[/citation]

It's a change to see apple copying??? Really??? Where have you been all these years?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
The fact that crApple can simply "get away" with paying a licensing fee RETROACTIVELY, is bullcrap. They copied, now they must pay the same way they demand others must pay them. and the iPhail should be banned until the court case is settled.

That's how crApple would handle it if the tables were turned.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
@santeana: Hey, why did you quote me? I didn't write the article. :sweat:

OT: This probably happened when one Apple "designer/artist" saw this clock somewhere - simple, easy to read, universally usable (no numbers), thinking "who'd care. It's just a clock. We copied a lot of things and got away with it."

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, if this wasnt apple, would it really matter? i mean its a clock, they all have 60 seconds, a minute hand and a hour hand, and the higher end ones also a second hand, only reason its even here is the ball at the end of the second hand. google "clock second hands"and you will see a decorative second hand inst all that uncommonnow would this be a big deal if it wanst apple? would we defend them, probably with my argument?[/citation]As much as I dislike Apple, I have to agree with you here. Patenting this clock design is just as silly as a lot of the Apple design patents, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]As much as I dislike Apple, I have to agree with you here. Patenting this clock design is just as silly as a lot of the Apple design patents, and two wrongs don't make a right.[/citation]
This clock design isn't patented, it's trademarked.

G

patenting a teeny weeny scrollbar that disappears after a couple of seconds is equally ridiculous - as is bounceback; dumb software gimmicks that any developer could write in a couple of minutes.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]As much as the avengeful me likes this, can you seriously patent such a simple design?[/citation]

It's the fact that the design of the Swiss clock is so distinctive that makes this more than a case of a simple design, it is a lot more valid than anything Apple so far have been able to produce against Samsung in their recent US case.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Apple you never cease to amaze me , from troll to copy cat to hypocrite...keep it up and you will be hated by your own isheep eventually

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
So a simple clock is the mascot of the Swiss Railway? ugh.. okay.

Wait, and they want to cry about similarities to Apple's clock? ugh... okay.

And what will come of this? uhg... who cares?

It won't affect ANYTHING at all. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.