Apple Acknowledges iPad Wi-Fi Problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Instead of pointing fingers they should quickly develop a fix. Acting like a bunch of 12 year old kids is not a way to go.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Instead of pointing fingers they should quickly develop a fix. Acting like a bunch of 12 year old kids is not a way to go.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
its called "Bleeding Edge" for a reason... Glad I'm waiting until the second generation so all the kinks are worked out.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]How'd they screw this up?[/citation]
Haven't you been listening? They are Apple Almighty! THEY "DON'T" screw "ANYTHING" up. It's everyone elses fault! So it has been written in the stone and handed down from the mount. OBEY!

/extreme sarcasm/

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]martin0642[/nom]What exactly is a 3rd party device? Who are the first and second parties? This is an iPad software glitch where they didn't link mac addresses to the ssid.[/citation]
Apple Almighty is the "First Party," you are the "Second Party," and anything else is "Third Party."

Comes from contract legal speak.

G

I really wish that people were this engaged when it came to issues that really matter - like starving children, crime, stupid people allowed to breed uncontrolled, etc... wow, please evolve - quickly... before we all go extinct...

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Changing the router's SSID works for some people but not all... but it's better than telling users to rewrite the wi-fi stack so it works. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I'm assuming they're going to be doing that, but are offering a workaround for some people in the meantime.

To put this in perspective, I have some wakeup issues on both my desktop and my laptop. Neither one Apple. I wouldn't know who to call (microsoft? graphics or wi-fi board maker? motherboard maker? bios maker?) and imagine I would wait 30 minutes and have to pay $40 to be told it's someone else's problem. So I just live with it.

That doesn't make apple right, but perhaps apple users have more of an expectation that the product will work, and they can get apple to fix it if it doesn't?

Note -- not an apple fan-boy. I don't own an apple, unless you count a shuffle.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, so you can't charge your iPad over a standards-compliant USB port (not while doing anything with it anyway), but you CAN charge it if you use an Apple completely-making-this-crap-up-as-we-go high-powered USB port (12V, what the hell Apple?).

Now, you can't get a reliable Wi-Fi connection using your standards-compliant wireless router, but if you mess with the default settings that every other product uses just fine, you should be able to correct the problem.

Thanks for that Apple!

kenwheeler77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]qwed88[/nom]Considering that the hardware is so similar to the Iphone or Ipod, I don't understand why their having problems with the wifi?[/citation]

The iPhone has the same issue. 10 feet away from my multi-band, 3rd party (linksys) router, and I don't get any bars. Reboot my iPhone and "whoop, there it is!", full bars.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I don't know if it is the same problem but I experienced something similar with my home pc when I tried a wireless router. I live in an apartment complex. The system would routinely identify a dozen or so wireless systems that were within range. A lot of them of them had the same name as mine and aparently the same setup. Sometimes I wound up on someone else's system.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]its called "Bleeding Edge" for a reason... Glad I'm waiting until the second generation so all the kinks are worked out.[/citation]
Yes enlarging the iPhone makes this "Bleeding Edge", this is all completely brand new never before seen hardware to Apple... right.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I don't know if it is the same problem but I experienced something similar with my home pc when I tried a wireless router. I live in an apartment complex. The system would routinely identify a dozen or so wireless systems that were within range. A lot of them of them had the same name as mine and aparently the same setup. Sometimes I wound up on someone else's system.[/citation]
That means you have not changed a thing from default setup and are just asking for someone to break into your network. I would change your SSID, change the encryption and put in a custom password for your wireless network quick.

frank96b

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
The wifi range issue on the new iPad (3) is a real pain. I was really annoyed when I tried my new toy and this happened to me. After spending ages looking for a solution for this issue, I was just about to give up because all of the step by step guides which I found didn't solve my problem with the wifi reception. I did a bunch of research came across WIRED magazine and found a extensive and detailed review of Pong Research cases. These guys make a very special case which has a built-in antenna in between its layers, which redirects and boost the signal and range of your new iPad, iPhone and other devices. As a result, I'm able to connect to my router from much further without a problem. And that's not all, one of the features I like the most is their Origami Cover which folds in 5 different positions while still maintaining the sleep/wake function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS