Apple Commands 83% Of Global App Market Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Yea moron, like developers don't need money at all. Piece of shit idiots, start paying for software morons.[/citation]
And comments like this make me laugh. No one is forced to write a free software but people choose to release them on Android. Dude, not everyone writes software for money and that's what open source is all about.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Then you should develop on iOS. I was merely saying that "
Then Google shall command 83% of global free apps market". What's wrong with you dude?

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Yea moron, like developers don't need money at all. Piece of shit idiots, start paying for software morons.[/citation]

Why should I have to pay for software whenever there is a free alternative that works better Example: 7zip, etc

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
This is why iOS will rule in the app market. Top developers (meaning the ones that get paid for what they do as opposed to the "charity" developers) will go where the market (money) is, and right now it's clear that means iOS.

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@smochina just becuase your app is free doesnt mean you cant make money off it. that was mentioned in the arcitcal that people are moveing more towards transactions with in the app to make money.
i have read that people do much better out of this than selling apps becuase you suck people in with the 'Free' line then they dont just give you 99c once they keep buying things over and over so you have food to feed your family for the life of the program not just when every one decideds to buy it.
sounds to me like you need some lessons in bussiness if you want to develop your own apps

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ Yeah, and have you seen the quality of apps that use the in-app purchase model? No "serious" app that any businessperson would use should require in-app purchases. Should my e-mail client require that I make purchases to keep using it? Maybe I have to pay extra if I get too many e-mails?

Have a look at the top 20 "must have" apps that are used by iOS or Android and you'll see that none of them revolve around the in-app model.

In-app purchases are usually used for stupid games to let you unlock levels or get in-game currency. If you're in it to make money, then go ahead and develop more of these crappy apps (and hope the FTC doesn't make new rules to slow down your gravy train).

Besides, there's already a system in place to get consumers to try your product and hopefully get them to buy it (if it's any good) - it's called the free trial. You should read up on it.

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]You know who writes applications for free? Those that already made a ton of money working for Microsoft or other big companies. And what about us independents?[/citation]

If you or your applications were any good, you'd get a job at Microsoft or another big company, make a ton of money and then come back to write awesome free apps.

G

The Android user base is growing now @ 300,000 a day. That number will increase as android becomes more widely available on lower priced phones. Google doesn't need to charge yet. Soon there will be more users than iOS. Developers will then flock to Android. It's a marathon, not a sprint. What we're seeing is a strategic, structured campaign.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Android is plagued by piracy, the fragmented OS, app store is poor, too many different handsets and versions to think about. All things that put off developers.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
1. Are they including revenue based on advertising on apps in the android market and 2. I do not think as many app sellers are trying to leverage Android to make money.

To defend these two statements we look at Angry Birds .. which is easily the most popular phone game app to date even before it was free on android. Why did they put Angry Birds on the market for free, of all the game developers they had the market awareness and draw to actually sell it and make a profit, but instead they chose to give it away free w/ advertising. So the question is, has that advertising paid more than they would have made selling the game for $1.

Don't get me wrong, the android market was not designed as nicely, and until very recently you could only browse via the phone (now you can use market.android.com). I think its a combination of two things ...

1. Some of the top game developers for iOS (apple) have not yet moved into the android market. Game sales make up 70% of Apples app sales. Until more higher quality game developers bring their products to market on Android, android sales will not grow as fast.

2. Game developers on android need to stop giving their stuff away for free w/ advertising OR they need to get statistics on how much revenue the android developers are making from advertising vehicles as this might change the reported app market revenue numbers.

3. Lastly ... google doesn't care if they make as much money on app sales as Apple. Googles primary goal with Android is to have more and more people using their technology and seeing their Ads. Google makes money on Ads. So if developers give away free apps on google and those apps have google ads in them, Google is making money via the method it wants to make money. It would be interesting how to see how much money Google is making in this way.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
angry birds on ios = one time sale

angry birds free on android with ad support means ongoing revenue...

ios for devs is liek a one time payment foran anuity sure it gets you somethign up front but you lose in the long run

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah everyone should work for free, everything should be free, free free free ... in fact, since you insist on people working for free, why don't come over and wash my car and clean my house FOR FREE ... why should I have to keep paying my maids when I can get a Tom's nut job communist to do it for me for FREE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.