Apple Cuts 1,600 Retail Workers, Kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Layoffs are expensive as is training replacements once the economy improves. Much better to try and keep the people while reducing costs. This is a smart move on Apples part, though the employees loosing hours may not see it that way.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
The elasticity of labor these days is sickening. So if the part-time employers want to make the same money they have to find more than one jobs

It is good though that they keep the same $/hour and they don't fire them. Nice comment by tenor77 btw :p

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Beats working for Wal-Mart I guess. Have heard too many horror stories about how they handle their employees. Some of them have to be true.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]nkarasch[/nom]wal-mart - random shifts, forced unpaid breaks, minimum wage, no benefits, overtime not allowed[/citation]

You'd be surprised how many employers share some of these qualities. when I was there from 2006 to 2008 Lowe's required all full-time associates to take a full unpaid lunch hour. Honesty what's the point? Maybe a quarter of that time was actually spent eating, and the other 45 minutes were spent wondering why an hour of unpaid meaninglessness had been injected into my day. In an hour lunch, anyone that doesn't live within a 10 minute drive pretty much just gets to sit there and do nothing. It unnecessarily turns an 8-hour work day into a 9-hour work day with an hour of it unpaid.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Actualy, Wal-mart provides benifits and pays higher than minimum wage. I am an entry tech support employee and have worked for 3 tech companies including IBM. I have also worked for Wal-mart.

The funny thing is Wal-mart paid about the same and treated me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. I'm actualy considering another field as tech support employers try to nickel and dime you to hell. IBM outsources to keep costs down.

Now Wal-mart was very bad on random shifts. On breaks, they required you take your breaks. Period. That was great.

Basicaly, now I work on the phone supporting people. I get paid as much as I did at Wal-mart, have no benefits, and have a liar of a Human Resources manager as I was hired for a certain wage and received a lower one.

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
There are tons of labor laws on the books and WalMart has to follow them religiously because if they didn't, they would have their asses sued from here until Black Friday. WalMart is very smart and legally savvy. They have to be. The people that bitch about WalMart fail to understand that every all-in-one box store has to do the same thing. You think Target, ShopKo, KMart etc are better places to work? I'd work at WalMart over any of those other stores.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
This is exactly the point I was trying to make before on the previous article about Apple sales being up. Just because sales are up, doesn't mean the company is doing well. It needs to be taken into context. But no, I guess I'm just a PC fanboy.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
There is a point in it, just not a top priority. By Apple selling the platform, they get more people to buy more things Apple, from more hardware, more licensed accessories, and more software upgrades...

For people with dough, that in-store experence is key. Very wise of them not to cut the 'mac people' all together. Keeps them 'enthused' to have a job, and keeps the experence of handling customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.