Apple, DoJ May Settle Over Ebook Pricing Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Not that this affects me because I'm one of the few that likes physical media, but I hope CrApple gets thats coming to them, poor Tim Cook has to clean up Jobs mess.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Most of my Ebooks come from Baen Books' web store. Many of them are $6, and the authors get a considerably larger segment of that $6 from Baen then other authors get from the 'big' publishing outfits that are just trying to protect their print books by charging almost as much for books with, relatively speaking, zero 'printing' costs after telling us for twenty years that the only reason the cost of paperbacks was going up was the increased cost of printing them.

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Everytime my family or myself sign on to iTunes on our iPhone's, iPad's, or Mac's, we feel so rewarded purchasing our apps and books through iTunes. When the price of the book goes up, we purchase it anyway. My Apple stock is flying upward. It's safe to say, I'm in love with Apple, and they can do no wrong.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]Not that this affects me because I'm one of the few that likes physical media, but I hope CrApple gets thats coming to them, poor Tim Cook has to clean up Jobs mess.[/citation]

So true Tim Cook is doing a lot of good tho, fixing foxcon, paying dividends, settling on stupid lawsuits (including the ones with Samsung). +1 for Tim Cook

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Sorry Apple, my bookshelf is already established and I have paid for the physical copies that will always rightfully belong to me. For tonight's read: Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time. 1 price, 1 book, no conditions.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Everytime my family or myself sign on to iTunes on our iPhone's, iPad's, or Mac's, we feel so rewarded purchasing our apps and books through iTunes. When the price of the book goes up, we purchase it anyway. My Apple stock is flying upward. It's safe to say, I'm in love with Apple, and they can do no wrong.[/citation]
Lemme get this straight: you feel rewarded for paying more for some stuff? And you acknowledge that you are being ripped off, but still feel great about it?
It's safe to say, you have a self-destructive trait that I hope you don't pass on to your kids. Hope you enjoy your few pennies worth of dividends that Apple paid you, that should be enough to buy the first page of a book from Apple. Through iTunes, no less....

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Lemme get this straight: you feel rewarded for paying more for some stuff? And you acknowledge that you are being ripped off, but still feel great about it? It's safe to say, you have a self-destructive trait that I hope you don't pass on to your kids. Hope you enjoy your few pennies worth of dividends that Apple paid you, that should be enough to buy the first page of a book from Apple. Through iTunes, no less....[/citation]

He's trolling you. It's sarcasm.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Apple should have no right to control what price others wish to sell their products for. Go burn in hell Apple you fool.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
its not apple's "fault" its the publisher's fault for wanting as much or more for eBooks as they get for dead tree books, you'd LOVE to hear some of the excuses that the publisher tell authors as to why a paperback is $8 and yet the eBook version is $9.99...

G

"providing ebooks at lower prices rather than overinflated, fixed prices established by the Apple-driven "agency model."

Prices were not "overinflated", they were realistic based upon publishers overall costs of bringing books to market, both print and e-book editions. Amazon, to bolster its position in e-book sales sold books at a loss. Does anyone think that once they had commandeered the ebook market they would have continued to sell books at a loss or, more likely, would they not have gone to publishers and said, "we are now going to pay you based on our discount off our selling price and not your list price for the book." Take it or leave it.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Apple is evil and all, but they're evil geniuses. Seriously. How many people would do what they're doing if they had the chance. If not Apple, it'd be someone else. They're a business person's dream.

G

lol price collusion, anti-competitive, and anti-trust going to bite deep in apples azz now.
can count on Europe to stick it to them :p

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]its not apple's "fault" its the publisher's fault for wanting as much or more for eBooks as they get for dead tree books, you'd LOVE to hear some of the excuses that the publisher tell authors as to why a paperback is $8 and yet the eBook version is $9.99...[/citation]
Apple also has blame since they colluded with the publishers to bring the price up.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The pricing model actually makes sense and is common on websites. The site just hosts the products and allows the seller to set the price. Ironically, this is exactly how Amazon works for most of the products they sell. The issue here is just that Apple worked with the publishers to change their policies with other companies. That is firm grounds for an anti-trust suit.

Either way, I really hope that e-book prices go down. I bought my first e-reader about 4 years ago and have seen prices double or triple since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.