Apple Event Slated for March 9: Expect Apple Watch Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalerian

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
"Pebble just announced the Pebble Time, which offers a color ePaper display and 5 to 7 hours of battery life (more than the expected 1 to 2 for the Apple Watch). "

I believe this should be "days" and not "hours."

NikoKiko

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Even if I'm not getting one, it's good for the competition. It's clear they won't get it right from the first time but we'll cut them some slack :)

Not a fruity fanboy

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
"The thing that Apple still can't do right at all is the smart watch. Too big, too little, too late = EPIC FAILURE LAUNCH EVENT"

As much as I'd like to agree with you, you underestimate the brainwashed masses that Apple has under their control. As much as I loathe Apple and everything they stand for, I have absolutely no doubt that the iWatch will sell more than all other smart watches combined.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
"Pebble just announced the Pebble Time, which offers a color ePaper display and 5 to 7 hours of battery life (more than the expected 1 to 2 for the Apple Watch). "

I believe this should be "days" and not "hours."

Even if those figures are days and not hours it seems like pretty poor battery life. compared with the five years I've gotten out of my current wrist watch's battery.

Sure, I know that smart watches do way more than my chronograph but personally I would consider less that a week to be insufficient if Apple or any other manufacturer for that matter, wants more than the fan-boys to take them seriously when it comes to wearables.

tom71

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I don't know what you people are complaining about. You get what you pay for.

Their hardware may be relatively expensive, but you also get well-designed software with it (with free OS upgrades)

At work, I work with Windows and Linux OS's (btw, Linux is great), but, at home, I wouldn't swap my retina Macbook Pro with OS X for anything.

I agree, it costs a lot, but you get fantastic build quality, amazing display, PCIe SSD (it's really fast) and ABSOLUTE SILENCE.

I've done some DTP work, edited a video, built malware analysis environment in a VM and I've done all kinds of other things in SILENCE. This thing doesn't make any noise and it's FAST. Oh and IMO the biggest advantage of OS X (other than relatively good security) is stability. In the last 18 months that I've owned it, I only had to reboot it for OS patching. Other than that, there are no reboots needed on OS X. Eat that Windows

After working on this, Windows PC seems frustratingly slow and buggy and vulnerable and all sorts.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my good old noisy Windows desktop for gaming :).

I suppose, there's room for everything. It all depends on your needs and budget.

I've worked on an iMac and Mac Pro (old gen) and would recommend those too for people wanting silence and stability whilst doing their work. You don't need a new one. Get a 2nd hand one off eBay.

Trust me, if you work in IT, the last thing you want at home, is a Windows PC. Many of my colleagues and former co-workers have either Macs or Linux PC's. Windows is good, because it's popular, so games are made for it, so gamers like it. But, other than that, it's a really messy, buggy OS with an ability to degrade itself over time...

It has a lot of holes too, which hackers just love. Drive-by downloads whilst watching those "free" TV shows/films online? Anyone? :)

I could go on forever comparing Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, Android and all that. Each of those has their target user. All I can say is try each of those for a good while and then see for yourselves. :)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@ tom71

At any/all whitehat conferences the Macs are the first ones to be cracked wide open. They might be well built machines (overpriced at that, too, and losing their crown fast to the likes of Dell XPS13 and so on), but the OS itself is just as penetrable as any. Black hat hackers are just not interested because there's money in volume, and the greatest volume belongs to Windows.
You should enjoy whatever system gives you pleasure, but when comes to arguments about it you should rely upon factual information, not anecdotal. If you want anecdotal, I have kept my Windows PC on for more than a few months at a time, only rebooting when updates required it. Still runs like a champ, and zero malware (even after visiting a couple of shady websites). Does this mean that Windows is impenetrable? No, it just means it's all about the user at the keyboard. Same goes for any/all OSes.

As far as the Apple watch is concerned, I really don't see the great hardware+software combination. So far, even Tim Cook admitted it will require charging every day (meaning battery life of one day or less), along with what I consider a clunky interface (compared to other smart-watches). Maybe the second or third iteration to be better, in what is now a typical Apple style - waiting to see what other manufacturers come up with, then slap a shiny patent on it and proclaim it.

Status
Not open for further replies.