Apple Facing Increasing Claims of App Store Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
*Unlinks card details from iTunes*
Problem solved.

*Continues happily purchasing songs and albums from Dick Smiths Electronics Music kiosks*

Joking around aside, I think I remember hearing noobs boast about how much more "secure" Apples products are in comparison to the competition. Just another example that no system is safe, every system has its vulnerabilities. Even if it happens to be the user.. lol.

I'm actually assuming these "hacks" are nothing more than victims of keyloggers or using their password all over the place and one of those databases got hacked.

.....Or they used weak-arse encryption and used stuff like polyalphabetic ciphers.

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Awww... sounds like the honeymoon is over. Like Apple's products, but their business practices lately have left me with a very negative feeling towards the company itself.

As for the fraud itself, this is why my itunes account it linked to a disposable credit card, and I refill it with iTunes cards anytime I want to buy something, which isn't often. I prefer to buy my music on CD, and then rip it myself at lossless bitrates. Paying essentially the same price for inferior music is ridiculous.

G

i dont see it as apples fault these people can't manage their computers. though it is apples fault all these idiots have gadgets they don't undestand.

i use prepaid for online purchases. transfer what i need, buy item, hackers can get the remaining 80 cents if they like.

id wager most of the people being hacked could stand to spend a few hours with a virus scanner, and probably use IE as their browser. i don't see how they can stick apple with this until they have an actual scientific experiment proving that a clean computer will allow for this fraud to happen.

I'm not saying fraud isn't possible, but from someone that has a lot of experience with average computer users, my money is on error # ID10T .

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Not happy with robbing the customers thru their iCrap prices, now they're outright frauding. Way to go :)

Now Apple may want to sustain the common bullshit that says iOS ain't vulnerable to viruses or hacking. Oh wait.

G

Lame article, stupid comments. Those accounts were not hacked... either phishing => user is a dumb ars, or password was like "12345" => user is a dumb ars.
But haters gonna hate no matter what, facemalm.

Apple's only fault, that it allowed so many dumb arses use it's services.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RandoKneeArrowGuy[/nom]Lame article, stupid comments. Those accounts were not hacked... either phishing => user is a dumb ars, or password was like "12345" => user is a dumb ars.But haters gonna hate no matter what, facemalm.Apple's only fault, that it allowed so many dumb arses use it's services.[/citation]

I don't know how to say how stupid that comment was. Probably not as stupid as this one in reply to you but still.. It was so stupid it made me quote you on how stupid it was so you would become aware how stupid I think it is.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Do the account hijackers then resell the virtual currency on ebay or how does this work?

I don't see why Apple is at fault here. They could implement stricter security measures like Valve does with the Steam Guard thing, but if the attackers can hijack the iTunes account then they can probably hijack the email-account as well.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
At the same time the company is facing a class action lawsuit in a U.S. District Court, fraud claims related to Apple's iTunes app store have increased dramatically.

Apple is synonymous with fraud propaganda deceit and hoodwinking. Publicly degrade Apple and its lies whenever possible and you will be serving the march of technology and open standards. It is the duty of every woman and man who values freedom to fight Apple!

United we win divided we fall

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Buying an Apple product is already a big fraud. A U$120 bill-of-materials +manufacturing cost would sell for U$800.00, thats a rob, and now buying from apple store steals more!

G

They should focus on patenting the anti-suicide nets over at Foxconn

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Middleman[/nom]Like Apple's products, but their business practices lately have left me with a very negative feeling towards the company itself.[/citation]
Lately? Apple has been like this for many years.

Your brand new, incredibly expensive phone drops your calls?
Apple: You're holding it wrong, you dolt.

You want to install software not approved by Apple on the device you own?
Apple: Jailbreaking your phone should be a criminal offense (they're gearing up for Round 2 now)

You want to use Google Voice on your iPhone?
Apple: This makes our software look inferior, so we'll block it from the App Store and nobody can have it.

Somebody find one of your device prototypes you left behind?
Apple: Let's use the San Francisco police to intimidate some poor guy into thinking Apple employees are law enforcement agents so he'll let them search his home.

Seriously, I could do this all day. Apple is a thoroughly despicable company.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The bigger they are, the more hacks, virus's, etc etc they are...

I got a big smirk out of this article because now, all them shiny apple products, with their snotty iUsers are gonna get their just rewards for being little punks....

Enjoy!

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Wohoo, the fanboys already found me. How dare somebody point out shitty things Apple has done! Quick, rate him down so we can keep pretending Apple is perfect!

I think I'll just post some more shitty things Apple has done.

1. In 2008, Apple issued a DMCA takedown notice to OdioWorks, a nonprofit company that operated a wiki. Their offense? Daring to host articles that showed users how to use third party hardware and software with an iPod. Apple did not back off until the EFF came to OdioWorks' defense, and issued a lawsuit against Apple.

2. A few months ago, Apple was fined more than a million dollars for violating Italian law and failing to notify customers of the two year warranty they already had on any Apple products and instead attempting to sell all its customers an additional two year warranty, overlapping with the one they already had.

3. When somebody finally decided to make malware for OS X, Mac Defender, Apple was ready and waiting to not issue any help to its customers whatsoever, even though the process could be easily stopped manually. Even when customers were handing over all their credit card numbers willingly and the majority of calls coming in to Apple were related to Mac Defender, Apple specifically instructed its employees to provide no assistance and not to tell them where they could get assistance. This policy stood for days before Apple decided to actually help its users in any capacity.

4. When an unofficial biography of Steve Jobs portrayed him in a highly negative light (the official biography has since confirmed that Jobs was more than a bit of an asshole), all of the publishers books (almost entirely educational materials) were banned from Apple stores.

I might come back later and post more as I remember them. Trying to stay away from Foxconn, since Apple is certainly not the only one who deserves the blame there (I'm looking at you, Microsoft).

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]One of my classmates boasted about how it was so secure.I'm going to print off the source article and shove into her face.[/citation]

Its only as secure as stupid peoples passwords. If an account gets hacked it means an easy to guess password. Apple is not the only victim of this. However, this headline get people to read this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.