Apple Forces eBay to Pull Steve Jobs Figurine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Can't make a doll to look like Steve Hand-jobs in the US? WTF this country legal system coming to! Oh Yessss sorry, rules for the rich, even their image is protected. Go FO Hand-jobs! Another reason the world hates you! I know you didn't have anything to do with this personally but you DA company bred lawyers do and they represent you my little butt buddy. Sooo keep I'll just keep on steering clear of anything to do with Steve Hand-Jobs. How's date UDF!

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Someone was correct: California law isn't applicable in foreign countries, like China. Of course, Apple's focus was on eBay as the 'seller', since it's based in California. However, I think that eBay shouldn't be held to the silly law, as it's only facilitating the transaction, and not actually selling the product itself.

Either way, someone should call the ACLU. I'm surprised the higher courts haven't abolished this stupid law, since it clearly steps over our First Ammendment rights. Just another reason to hate crApple though.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Whats the bet that Apple will "confiscate" one of these, mass produce them with a little apple logo on the bottom, then sell them for 5x the price?

claudecat

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Jobs is just a complete and utter power-mad wanna-be dictator. Any other human would be pleased that there is a "doll" version of them on the market. Jobs sees only potential profits for himself being usurped. Such a dillwad.

G

All hail to Führer Jobs. We will xenocide the inferior pc from the world!

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]bonezy[/nom]Someone was correct: California law isn't applicable in foreign countries, like China. Of course, Apple's focus was on eBay as the 'seller', since it's based in California. However, I think that eBay shouldn't be held to the silly law, as it's only facilitating the transaction, and not actually selling the product itself.Either way, someone should call the ACLU. I'm surprised the higher courts haven't abolished this stupid law, since it clearly steps over our First Ammendment rights. Just another reason to hate crApple though.[/citation]

ACLU? Seriously? Apple got California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team REACT to kick in Jason Chen's door for a lost iPhone. As much as I tend to agree with you, I don't think theres anyway the ACLU would touch something like this. It has nothing to do with his civil liberties.

By the broadest definition, the right of publicity is the right of every individual to control any commercial use of his or her name, image, likeness, or some other identifying aspect of identity, limited (under U.S. law) by the First Amendment. The right of publicity can be referred to as publicity rights or even personality rights. The term "right of publicity" was coined by Judge Jerome Frank in the 1953 case Haelan Laboratories, Inc. v. Topps Chewing Gum, Inc., 202 F.2d 866 (2d Cir.).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights#United_States

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]slipdisc[/nom]ACLU? Seriously? Apple got California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team REACT to kick in Jason Chen's door for a lost iPhone. As much as I tend to agree with you, I don't think theres anyway the ACLU would touch something like this. It has nothing to do with his civil liberties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perso [...] ted_States[/citation]

Bingo. Steve Jobbs's Likeness, his right to control. Now... he can ask Ebay to take the sales down, but I am not certian he has any legal sway with Ebay unless he gets some kinda court order.

if it were you or me who had bobbleheads made of them outside the US, and Ebay was selling them, I think they might require a court order.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]luc2k[/nom]They should release the same figurine with a small tweak, replace Steve's head with a turd and call it Shit Jobs[/citation]

Now now, lets not pull a nvidia and rebrand the same product.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Wait.. they copyrighted Steve Jobs? What's next? A patent on black shirt & jeans?[/citation]
Damn, good thing I wear a white shirt and jeans! Saved, woohoo!

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]aaron686[/nom]Now now, lets not pull a AMD and release a slower product with a higher model number.[/citation]

Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.