Apple Gets Sued by Motorola Over Phone Patents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Day 1) Microsoft sues Motorola over smartphone patentsDay 2) Motorola sues Apple over smartphone patentsSo what's the big story going to be for tomorrow?Day 3) Apple sues Microsoft over smartphone patentsEveryone declares victory, all hand money around in a cirle and everyone agrees it was a big waste of time[/citation]
Its not a total waste.. Some lawyers made some major cash on that deal..

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
As much as Apple needs a taste of karma... It's sad to see another technology patent infringement on the internet. If we had one of those "Days since last" signs, it'd never get past 0.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I didn't know you could patent 802.11

kind of makes the open standard a joke doesn't it? lol

And how many damn companies have a wireless email patent? It seems like they all use that as an excuse to sue other people.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Day 1) Microsoft sues Motorola over smartphone patentsDay 2) Motorola sues Apple over smartphone patentsSo what's the big story going to be for tomorrow?Day 3) Apple sues Microsoft over smartphone patentsEveryone declares victory, all hand money around in a cirle and everyone agrees it was a big waste of time[/citation]

Well, MS is suing over software patents relating to Android implementation. It's like when both MS and Apple sued HTC over Andorid but HTC struck a deal with MS that gave them patent access that shut out Apple.

So it's not so much a circle as a direct line of money pulled away from Apple and going to MS.

And Apple tried suing MS once, it didn't go so well for them.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I can't stand the law. This is so stupid. What ever happened to developing the best product for all at the time? Who cares who came up with the name of something, or design. Does it work? Is it the best? Perfect, then let everyone use it.

Money has completely FUCKED this world to hell. I can't stand it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
apples only response is for his royal Jobsness to personally cut a check for fifty percent of the revenue apple has recieved for the last 4 years. personally, if i was motorola, i wouldn't claim anything to do with the antenna, but i guess motorola figures even bad publicity is good.

can we get a caption contest of mr.jobs freaking out in some photo upon recieiving the cease and desist order from motorola?!

kudos to motorola waiting until they have all off apple by the bal....erm stem.
just watch apple bribe their way out of this one with the FTC just like microsoft did with the DOJ.still pisses me off i can't remove liability prone outlook and netmeeting from my computer.

G

I don't undersatnd the people saying Apple is getting a taste of their own medicine... Many people seems to embrace the thinking that Apple copies some other manufacturer and is succesfull becouse of pure mind manipulation... Do you think that Apple have a secret mind controll recepi that every other company lacks???
All this suing i think is the same case as with Nokia, Motorola is trying to get some kind of excesive leverage out of some standard technology becouse they don't have good numbers to show their shareholders, Apple don't accept their terms and so they go to legal battleground, in the mean time Motorola's leadership gets some time to try to make something from company.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Anyone else think they should have gone to law school to be a patent lawyer? Somehow I don't think the recession is affecting them to much right now.Company A: Man, sales are down and we need to report good profits to the share holders. What can we do?Patent Lawyer: LOLZ, go write a bunch of generic patents that vaguely describe every invention ever and then SUE EVERYONECompany A: Anyone got any better ideas? ... Won't they just sue us back the same way?Patent Lawyer: Who cares, its the American way as endorsed by the political morons who call a government. Oh and by the way my legal fees are 110% of whatever you get.[/citation]

Well, WCDMA (3G), GPRS and 802.11 are not vague patents. Isn't Nokia processing Apple for Telco patents too?

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]apples only response is for his royal Jobsness to personally cut a check for fifty percent of the revenue apple has recieved for the last 4 years. personally, if i was motorola, i wouldn't claim anything to do with the antenna, but i guess motorola figures even bad publicity is good.can we get a caption contest of mr.jobs freaking out in some photo upon recieiving the cease and desist order from motorola?!kudos to motorola waiting until they have all off apple by the bal....erm stem.just watch apple bribe their way out of this one with the FTC just like microsoft did with the DOJ.still pisses me off i can't remove liability prone outlook and netmeeting from my computer.[/citation]

Update to Win 7 and you won't have outlook nor netmeeting on it. You can also always go linux...

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]MS sues HTC, Moto sues Apple, Apple sues MS, MS sues google...Its all some sort of perverted circle jerk, really.[/citation]

Talking about the perverted suing circle jerk...
Take a look of this interesting figure on Gizmodo yesterday(http://gizmodo.com/5656913/whos-suing-who-in-the-mobile-industry)

I am not sure how updated and complete the figure is.. but it is interested to see that Nokia and Kodak are leading the pack of suing while Apple is in the blender of suing and being sued...lol

G

@Smochina
'I wonder what would you guys say if Sony would start asking money because they hold the patent for progress bar?'

probably laugh their heads off then invent/patent the progress circle, followed by the progress triangle......

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
wireless email
multi-device synchronization

I'm developing a small company to patent the inhalation and exhalation of gasses into and out of the human body.

And then I'm going to sue the socks off you ALL!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]In your face, Apple! Although those so called patents look like common stuff we have on most smart phones, I still think that it's good that Apple is getting a taste of its own medicine.[/citation]

Most companies actually license the technology they use if possible...otherwise, they actually try to develop something. Apple has a history of stealing technology going all the way back to the Mouse...which Apple store from Xerox then tried to sue MS over. Thankfully, Apple lost.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Far out I'm so sick of reading these articles!!!

Too much Toms!!!!! Every second day someone is sueing someone and I really don't think anyone cares.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The American patent system is broken. Software patents should be excluded from the patent system. Anyone with some money can patent obvious ideas and sue other companies for infringing them. Patents should be original ideas and non obvious most of the disputed patents in these patent battles fail on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.