Apple Has Idea for Fuel Cell Battery That Would Last Weeks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
crApple has a patent. Big deal. Where is the commercial version of this? Or is crApple just trolling patents and waiting for someone else to commercialize the technology, and then sue the pants off of them?

Time to put up or shut up (as they used to say) crApple. A patent is a long way from a commercially feasible and commercially viable device.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
All these worries about hydrogen tickle my funny bone. They have been working on ways to store it somewhat inertly, such as having it bond to something. You don't think they would let us ride around with a compressed gas in our vehicles, do you? They might. Gasoline is already pretty explosive, especially on an empty tank. Hydrogen has a lot more energy per stored volume, so you could essentially use a smaller, more protected tank anyway - which in turn means that you have more space/better economics. Batteries are relatively dangerous, especially when you consider the toxic metals they contain and how most are simply discarded and end up in our rivers.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Make sure you don't get any of your battery tech from Obama Motors/Government Motors (GM). Last I read their electric cars are going up in flames at the cost of $250,000 per vehicle to the taxpayer. That is it cost the US taxpayer $250k per vehicle to make/subsidize this failed union controlled company. Your green dollars hard at work, stupid tree huggers.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I like the idea of batteries that are lighter and last longer
but...

I lit a balloon filled with Hydrogen once.
BOOOOM!!!! It wasn't just flamable, it was a powerful explosion that send a sockwave out that felt it hit me. I was 9 feet away behind a protective wall that had a hole that was just big enough for me to fit a burning candle attached to a long stick.

It's actually a good thing they didn't mix in O2 with the hydrogen because much like my balloon experiment it would have been a massive bomb like explosion instead of towering flames.

Last comment...
I'm disappointed that Apple came up with this technology cause they will likely keep it for themselves rather than lease the technology for other companies to have devices with batteries that last that long.

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]A fuel cell does not produce hydrogen and oxygen that needs to be captured.It 'burns' (flameless) hydrogen and as chemistry teaches us the result is H2O... water.You may have steam coming out of your cell phone, nicely melting your ear wax :)[/citation]

It seems more likely the water vapor would condense, so your cell phone would leak on your shoulder--unless the device contains and recycles the water. Here's a call for a working prototype!

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Apple invented phones. Apple invented calling. Apple invented messaging. Apple invented touch screens. Apple invented computers. Apple invented OS...
Now Apple wants to invent TVs, fuel and batteries... Wait that all existed before, didn't it?

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]...and the exhaust is just water and oxygen...[/citation]

Last time I checked water and electronics didn't mix very well. Is this going to have a little drain that drips a little bit of water onto your lap while using it? What happens if you're using the laptop in a non-level position and the water can't drain out? I'm thinking that this isn't the right application for this technology.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
What about nano-wire lithium ion batteries? I hope they are just a few years off, who knows though. From smartphones to laptops to electric vehicles, it'll be awesome

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jonnydough[/nom]All these worries about hydrogen tickle my funny bone. They have been working on ways to store it somewhat inertly, such as having it bond to something. You don't think they would let us ride around with a compressed gas in our vehicles, do you? They might. Gasoline is already pretty explosive, especially on an empty tank. Hydrogen has a lot more energy per stored volume, so you could essentially use a smaller, more protected tank anyway - which in turn means that you have more space/better economics. Batteries are relatively dangerous, especially when you consider the toxic metals they contain and how most are simply discarded and end up in our rivers.[/citation]

Yea, Honda has been making a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) Civic for years, still is.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jeffjwatts[/nom]"Apple's patent overview starts off by stating that the US is reliant on fossil fuels which has forced the government to maintain complicated political and military relationships with unstable governments in the Middle East, and has also exposed our coastlines and our citizens to the associated hazards of offshore drilling. These problems have led to an increasing awareness and desire on the part of consumers to promote and use renewable energy sources. "This seems an absurd case of Green Washing. This is a fuel cell. It uses a "fuel" like natural gas or hydrogen. And how do we produce hydrogen? Yes, we get it from natural gas. And while natural gas is largely domestic, it still comes from drilled wells. This device does not in anyway whatsoever reduce the US demand for oil which is what the patent overview strongly implies.-1 Misleading Propoganda[/citation]

Try not to spread misinformed propoganda of your own. The "easiest" source of hydrogen is water. It takes energy to split water (H20). One of the sources of energy to split water molecules could be natural gas. There are many others including good old oil, solar, or new tech around bio-engineered bacteria and a host of others.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]Last time I checked water and electronics didn't mix very well. Is this going to have a little drain that drips a little bit of water onto your lap while using it? What happens if you're using the laptop in a non-level position and the water can't drain out? I'm thinking that this isn't the right application for this technology.[/citation]

Its OK, you and your phone can relieve yourselves when you visit the bathroom. And imagine the market for cellphone and laptop diapers!

Status
Not open for further replies.