Apple Inventory Points to New iPhone 5, 4S and iPod

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I don't like Apple, due to their stances on things like net neutrality, content delivery, and so on. BUT, as much as people like to snicker at the cost of their devices, I think they really know how to build solid consumer devices. It really irritates me when someone compares, say, the cost of a Macbook Pro against a horrible build quality Dell, as if it's the same thing, when a device that was built similarly by a company like Samsung, costs exactly the same amount.

When it comes to mobile devices, I prefer Android, because I don't want to be tied to iTunes, don't particularly want to have to Jailbreak my device to gain what I've come to think of as basic software functionality, and dislike devices without a hardware qwerty. That said, Apple is still the quality standard with these sort of devices, and when they release revisions it usually means that competing products will soon have to step up their game.

What I mean, is that before Apple decided that they were going to put a front facing camera in their phones, there were only a few Android devices that did that. After they did, it became more of a standard feature that more high end smartphones needed to have. The hailed "retna screen" wasn't even the best out there on release (compare pixel density, black quality, white quality, color accuracy, etc, against a normal Droid, and overall Apple's display is inferior), BUT, after it released, it upped the ante on the quality of displays we'd typically see in other devices.

It'd be neat if they did something unexpected. Like release an iPod touch with a touch sensor on the back (ala Sony Vita), or maybe even an original idea for a new i/o device... but... I doubt they will. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hardware wise I have to say though, the A5 SOC is not very impressive. If Apple doesn't have anything special in regards to that, I'm going to have to raise an eyebrow considering the amount of quad core and even 5 core cortex A9 SOCs that are right around the corner. A dual core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU + dual core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU is soon to be pretty weak shit.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I'm waiting for the iphone to drive down prices of the other handsets. You can't complain about Apples prices for the iphone being subsidized so I rationalize the cost. If there was no jailbreak for the iphone I wouldn't buy the phone.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i would only become interested again once they let us run things such as flash on their mobile devices,,, like, jeeezzz it is a pain in the arse having thousands of appps mostly because their hardware won't run flash.

G

Guys, I think you miss the point. Apple works simply BECAUSE they lock the hardware, softwaree and infrastructure. Having spent 30 years in IT making disparate systems work I relish a product that massively reduces the moving parts and delivers a product that is genuinely consumer ready. If you want to spend hours a week fixing your Android phone and tweaking it with techy s/ware then go ahead and buy and Android. On the other hand, I like a phone that I never have to turn off, always works, is simple to use and, oh yes, is a design icon

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Whoot... a white iPhone and white iPod. The most Magical thing about them, is that for the price of one, you could buy a car.

Iphone 4 $115/month for unlimited talk text and 2GB of data +$200 up front for the phone.
Hyundai Accent - $125/month

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Quote:

"The hailed "retna screen" wasn't even the best out there on release (compare pixel density, black quality, white quality, color accuracy, etc, against a normal Droid, and overall Apple's display is inferior)"

By 'Normal' Droid, I assume you mean one which was available at the time? If so:

Droid: 854x480 display with pixel density of 267ppi
IPhone4: 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Whoot... a white iPhone and white iPod. The most Magical thing about them, is that for the price of one, you could buy a car.Iphone 4 $115/month for unlimited talk text and 2GB of data +$200 up front for the phone.Hyundai Accent - $125/month[/citation]

Difficult to see any point in there without any comparative prices. Unlimited plans are always expensive.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i don't hate apple or their prices or their closed os system. why would i hate an inanimate object? i just like their alternatives better, that's all[/citation]

Best anti-Apple post yet. The first one with logical reasons for not buying. Take note, guys!

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
The iPhone 5, if it fixes the reception/signal deterioration and call dropping problems of the iPhone 4, will be successful for the next 1.5 years or so. That is the biggest complaint of iPhone users.

Eventually, only 1 OS will control the market, the iPhone OS, the Android OS or some new form of a Windows OS will win out.

Status
Not open for further replies.