Apple iOS Apps Can Easily Be Hijacked, Researchers Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I hope this will shut up all the noobs claiming that "Apple is taking care of them, so they don't have to".
It all comes down to user's common sense, in this case, do not connect to wonky networks, just like in Android's case the lesson was 'do not modify the default security settings if you don't know what they mean'.
iOS is NOT more secure than Android, and this proves it (yet again). Sleep on it.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
The problem you miss house70, is that even leaving the default settings in place you can still easily load garbage onto your Android device from the Play Store. My wife ended up getting bombarded with countless apps delivering spam directly to the phone (in the status bar as well as other places). No settings were changed. She is a regular user, they do not check the permissions over and over again with each app install.

Neither systems are safe from having problems, but the problem posed by these researchers requires such an elaborate setup that most will never encounter it. Compare that to an app you can install from the Play Store that delivers crap all the time, some of which will prompt you to install other apps, that's a bigger problem.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@ jarred125 just Google 'AppStore malware', you'll have fun reading through it...

Point being, every user has to be aware of what they choose to install on their devices, regardless of OS. I don't see one problem being bigger than the other, unless you choose to ignore some aspects. AFAIK, iOS does not disclose all the permissions apps need, whereas Android does, and there are even apps that allow individual permissions to be set.
Ignorance is hardly an excuse (I didn't know that app was malicious, officer) nowadays, when everyone and their mother has heard of malware for various computing systems.

verage

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
my co-worker's step-aunt makes $70/hr on the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her income was $21412 just working on the internet for a few hours. . .......:> w­w­w.j­o­b­s­6­0.c­o­m

Status
Not open for further replies.