Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4 Fall to Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I am not surprised as the apps ask for all kinds of permissions and some don't even need them.

What I find interesting is the iOS hack. Since its a flaw in Webkit, I wonder if this flaw could be used on Safari and Chrome since both browsers use Webkit. If so that means that even on PC or Mac it's not safe.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I also find interesting the fact that Google is offering money to hackers (as prizes) to discover Chrome vulnerabilities. It's a smart tactic and pays off in the long run. If the other "hacked manufacturers" would do the same the Internet would be a much safer place.
My SGS4 had the GE version of the OS, which had been on 4.3 for a long time and will get the 4.4 by the end of the year. No Samsung bloat on it. Of course, it would be nice to see which specific apps were vulnerable, because there is a way to disable these on a phone, even a non-rooted phone.
I always read the permissions required when installing apps, and if something sounds fishy I never allow it to proceed. I've been using Android since the glorious days of Cupcake and never had any malware on any of my phones (TBH, I have never seen personally an infected Android phone, despite the apocalyptic previsions of this or that "expert").

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
All "crapware" should have the ability to be uninstalled and re-downloaded if desired. Or since unlocked phones are allowed, their should be an option to get a phone crapware free from your provider before you have it in your hands. aka make it optional when you sign up.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Were any Windows Phone 8 devices included in this? Curious to see how it compares. Otherwise, my next phone will be a pure version of Android.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So they never got out of the sandbox on the iPhone but were awarded a significant sum anyway? I would have thought the award would have been relative to the seriousness of the attack.

excursion

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Android and IOS may have changed the look of it , but the code usually doesnt change much , if you leave a window open long enough something will eventually come through.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
And this is why I flash a stock Android rom onto my phone and read permissions when I install apps.
Really, there's too much bloatware/ crapware crammed onto our phones that doesn't need to be there.
Flashing clean improves security, performance and battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.