Apple iPhone HD/4G Ads to Show Video Chat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
As overloaded as the networks are now, I'm not looking forward to new features that suck more bandwidth. Just give me tethering and I'll be happy.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Yea I'm sure AT&T is really happy about Apple adding video chat to their garbage network. Either that or it will only be on Verizon's.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]As overloaded as the networks are now, I'm not looking forward to new features that suck more bandwidth. Just give me tethering and I'll be happy.[/citation]

Really they wont even give you an fm radio.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Video chat becomes more feasible as networks get faster. So it sure makes more sense nowadays. A friend's old Windows phone had it in theory, BUT it simply didn't work reasonably enough to be useful. Times change, and I am looking forward to see my daughter when on the go. No useless at all, even if it's not revolutionary as Apple is likely to claim. I could see, however, that they made it easier to use (however that looks like).

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This could work... charge ridiculous extra service costs for the video chat option... most users who buy in will barely use it... pump the extra money into the shit network...

InfiniteVertigo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]Video chat over AT&T's network? buahahahahahahaha![/citation]

Hahahah exactly! Kinda like trying to swim in a pool filled with cement!

G

actually video chat capabilities have been around for an age now, the reason why it has not taken off is simple, battery life, video chat eats through batteries like no tomorrow, a phone with 3 hours battery talk time can barely manage 30mins video chat time. What does video chat bring to the table that's worth sacrificing 2.5 hours of normal phone call time....... unless you plan on phoning ms knowles

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Man you guys are all jaded and always bashing Apple. Its kinda sad really. Sure video chat has been around a while. But what company has implemented it correctly where its actually useful on a daily basis? Oh that's right, no one.

So Apple may not have invented the wheel, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make it go around faster than anyone else has at this point.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing the new iPhone specs but this feature is junk except for a few novel uses. Though it would certainly be more fun interrupting a rude video chat caller than those who use their phones in the public rest room...

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Video Chat? OMG! Time to change my briefs now. I'll get excited when the Iphone performs fellatio and wipes my ass... until then, it's just another hyped up phone.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]But what company has implemented it correctly where its actually useful on a daily basis?[/citation]

Oh that's right, no one. Oh wait, you said that already.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Man you guys are all jaded and always bashing Apple. Its kinda sad really. Sure video chat has been around a while. But what company has implemented it correctly where its actually useful on a daily basis? Oh that's right, no one.So Apple may not have invented the wheel, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make it go around faster than anyone else has at this point.[/citation]

No its a gimmick. Poor battery life. Crappy service, closed (as in you need the other person to have an iphone) and expensive. I am guessing that is okay with you, but I would rather have an fm radio, flash, voice command, language translation, a bigger screen, more codec support, larger storage, and reduced dropped calls. Att cant keep phones from dropping calls now, what makes you think that will get better when you are pumping two way video at that same time?

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]Macbook ProIntel Core 2 Duo or i5 or i74GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphicsgee...last time I check, those are standard Intel notebook parts...and do look up OTHER notebook manufacturers...they DO have unibody constructions....[/citation]
What laptops are as thin as a 17inch macbook pro? I have been searching for one for a couple months. Although I will say I dropped my macbook from about 3 1/2 feet to solid concrete and it barley dented it. I ended up buying one of the new 17inch i7 macbook pros and looked everywhere for a same spec machine that was that thin and light.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]No its a gimmick. Poor battery life. Crappy service, closed (as in you need the other person to have an iphone) and expensive. I am guessing that is okay with you, but I would rather have an fm radio, flash, voice command, language translation, a bigger screen, more codec support, larger storage, and reduced dropped calls. Att cant keep phones from dropping calls now, what makes you think that will get better when you are pumping two way video at that same time?[/citation]

Do you have AT&T? I have had AT&T for the last 5 years or so and have never had more of a problem then anyone else. I am near the Denver, CO area and at my house Sprint and Verizon both have lots of problems, can't even talk longer then 15 minutes on a call with them. Cell network coverage various so much by area that you can't really go by people who just post that X Cell services sucks. I also am in a different city about every weekend and never have problems with AT&T. Was just in NY City couple weeks back no issues, Seattle, Portland, I goto San Diego and San Francisco about every other week and nope not an issue there. Phoenix and Flagstaff are always GREAT and in Page, AZ . Even I was backpacking in the Lost Creek Wilderness and was startled when my phone rang and I could answer it! This was from my iPhone and my Tilt 2. Also, I have an AT&T 3G USB Modem that consistently pulls around 4-7mbps! I have even ran several Xbox 360s off of that modem with nice latency using a Cradlepoint Cell Router.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Oh you mean like what Sony and Asus do all the time? How about them Dual core processors the Mac still incorporates..Yeah, its nothing like those crappy Core i3's 5's and 7's. Oh but i hear that apple is starting to implement those! yea, they're only a couple years behind. But man, I wouldn't trade my alluminum chassis laptop for the world.Oh whats this? A pure alluminum computer case for only $50 on newegg? Well what the heck sony? you make alluminum chassis laptops with better parts than the Mac has to offer, and you still stay $300 cheaper! hmm..what to choose, what to choose..[/citation]

Since when does newegg sell aluminum laptop chassis? And if you are speaking about Mac Desktops they use Xeon processors and have been for a long time. However, I would never buy a mac desktop, they do have some cool feature with the case, but you can find cases at newegg that are really close (Cooler Master HAF is my favorite). Mac desktops are overpriced and I would rather build my desktop, but when it comes to laptops I would never trade my macbook pro unless I can find a laptop that has same specs as the 17inch and is as thin and light. I realize that may not be important to a lot of people but that is what my buying decision was based on. I would love to find a windows laptop that is comparable to my macbook pro. If anyone knows of any please post a link. And anyone that is going to slam Mac OS X, please include something with more substance then just Apple sucks.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Oh you mean like what Sony and Asus do all the time? How about them Dual core processors the Mac still incorporates..Yeah, its nothing like those crappy Core i3's 5's and 7's. Oh but i hear that apple is starting to implement those! yea, they're only a couple years behind. But man, I wouldn't trade my alluminum chassis laptop for the world.Oh whats this? A pure alluminum computer case for only $50 on newegg? Well what the heck sony? you make alluminum chassis laptops with better parts than the Mac has to offer, and you still stay $300 cheaper! hmm..what to choose, what to choose..[/citation]

Your an absolute moron, you simply look at all the details and do a side-by-side ... and compare nothing in real world terms. It seems that a lot of Apple-haters do this, so I don't blame, have fun on your wagon.

You and others state all of these machines from other manufacturers that contain the hardware similar to what the new Macbook Pro offers ... yet the Macbook pro continues to be the choice of most design firms, schools, and art oriented people.

Benchmark the two, see which machine does best under Photoshop for example. I guarantee, in fact I will bet my left nut, that there is not laptop out there with the same specifications that will stand against the Macbook Pro.

Instead of bashing, prove me wrong. Let's deal with facts, they always speak the truth.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]Heh, keep trying to fool yourself into believing that.[/citation]
Spoken like a true peecee fanboi. Please, do tell us all, which peecee manufacturer offers a laptop made from an aluminum unibody chassis? Oh, right. None of them. Peecee laptops are all made of shitty black plastic.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't be sad for these Microsoft fanboys ... looks like Apple has finally overtaken Microsoft: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/technology/27apple.html?hp

Try not to cry you Microsoft leg humpers.

I think now is the time, I say "I told you so". Wait until Apples starts in on the business market with HUGE support from Intel.

And does Tom's show this article, naaah, not a word. Geeez TG, maybe now you'll have some forums covering Mac's, iPods, iPads, iPhones ... there is a ton of tech (including mods) for all these devices that have gone untouched at TG. Makes me wonder??

Status
Not open for further replies.