Apple Lets Go of iPhone Hacker for Not Replying to Email

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"So... no point in delaying. As of last week, after about a year, I'm no longer associated with Apple," he tweeted. "As for why? Because I forgot to reply to an email."

The e-mail in question contained an offer from the firm to extend his employment as a remote intern. "I wasn't too happy about it, but it didn't seem like I was able to fix it," he told Forbes. "So that's what it is."

It seems to me that there is some hidden agenda here, why would Forbes ring some young hacker to ask about his employment situation, and what was it he couldn't fix?

G

I delete hundreds of emails a day. I do NOT forget to respond to my boss, their boss, their boss and so on. No, if there is more to this story than "I forgot to respond," even if it is that the kid has major social issues. And interns where I work DO get paid, some of them quite well. Not all intern positions are unpaid.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I work in the real world and get hundreds of emails a day. Dozens claim to be "important" I've missed or misfiled more than one important email on occasion.Besides there is more to this than him just missing an email.[citation]Allegra added that his departure from Apple was more complicated than just a forgotten email, and that “it wasn’t a bad ending,” but declined to say more.[/citation][/citation]
He didn't miss it - he read it and forgot about it. That's pretty incompetent.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Yeah, usually get swarmed with emails and can easily get lost in your inbox unless you go through everyone.You would think that if he was offered an extension or new role post internship, that at the very least be contacted by his manager or supervisor regarding the subject.[/citation]
1) Set up inbox rules
2) He didn't miss it - he read it and derped out over it.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Am I missing something? Are contract extensions usually handled over email? I thought that was something you went over with HR or something.

Like, how does that play out exactly?

Apple: "Hey dude, we'd like to renew your contract, you wanna do this some more?"

Hacker: "Yes."

Apple: "Alright then, we're good to go. See you on Monday!"

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
how do you forget to reply to an email?....is he that lazy?...there is a button called "reply" and it only takes mere seconds to type a fast response.....this guy is an idiot and deserves what he got....

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
my guess is he was debating if his next ap " there's a hack for that" was going to be more profitable than working for apple or not.

G

Um.. Apple hired this kid to get him to stop telling people how to jailbreak. The fad died out a little bit (because isheep can't manage a simple root). So Apple canned him.

Hope he starts hacking Apple again.

G

It's good he forgot to reply "whatever the reason".
Who care about apple.. if a 20 year old can find vulnerabilities in ones of its most refined devices what makes apple so brilliant and note apple is not new to the industry.

It's getting to a stage where soon 5 year olds girls will be breaking the iphone I mean laterally hahahaha.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Sounds more like Apple hired him so he'll stop jail breaking Iphones for the millions of users who want it. And then fired him because Apple feels like they plugged all the jailbreaking holes.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]dude, you were giving away secrets to their buggy code. you cut them off, therefore they cut you off lol.[/citation]

that would normally be the case, except there are millions of iphone users who rather Comex not work for Apple and instead work for the consumers in supplying iphone jailbreaks forever..

G

Actually this one is pretty simple. He was pissing Apple off by jailbreaking iPhones. Now (because he worked for apple) if he so much looks at an iPhone wrong Apple can claim he had insider knowledge about it and sue him, his family and his children for more than they could ever be worth.

G

If an employer wanted to offer me a position, the very least I would expect is them to call me in person if I dont reply to a one single email, emails can get lost, technology isnt perfect.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Nobody is allowed to email or text me with time sensitive information. They get a scolding and are reminded to actually call me. Common sense.

snipeye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]ashesofempires04[/nom]Remote Intern is what Apple referred to him as. Do interns get paid? I can imagine him being like "how about a paycheck, sometime?" and Apple saying "There's the door, don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out."[/citation]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/05/08/the-best-internships-for-2012/
"The average monthly base pay for software engineering interns at Google totals a whopping $6,463 — but the paycheck isn’t the only thing keeping them happy.
Pay varies for interns at Microsoft, depending on their position, but the compensation is usually hefty. Research interns, for instance, reported an average base monthly pay of $6,746, while program manager interns earned about $5,232 in one month."

Apple isn't even on Forbes 2012 Best Internship Top 10 list.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]I actually work in IT. No, missing an email is not easy to do.[/citation]
I agree with you, I have often missed emails but it was never really because I "missed the email" it was always because I didn't want to know it was in my inbox. Unless you get dozens of spam emails and every time you log into your account, or open your inbox, it's flooded with new emails, and you simply can't take the time to scan through it, then I guess it's possible, but if you work in IT and spam is a problem, well...then Apple definitely dodged a bullet here.

Status
Not open for further replies.