Apple Maps Utilizes 80 Percent Less Data Than Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
vectors soundlike a great idea, but also a TON of work

bottom like, APPLE mas a completely amateurish childish asshat move when they deleted a far superior maps app from people's phones and replaced it with their maps app that currently is a piece of $#!%.

G

so because they made it incomplete they should be congratulated? Zak get your head out of your ass.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
btw - if google maps a image based maps and apple maps are vector based, then once apple gets their $#!% together they could (in theory) have an equal quality product with much less bandwith requiment.

billybiff

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]vectors soundlike a great idea, but also a TON of workbottom like, APPLE mas a completely amateurish childish asshat move when they deleted a far superior maps app from people's phones and replaced it with their maps app that currently is a piece of $#!%.[/citation]

:)

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Isn't think Zak the same person that wrote the "Steve Job was the first to think of a Tablet PC" article? :/

Toms needs more techies and less apple fanboys writing their articles :p

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hey, I have a map app that covers the whole planet at 0.01% the amount of data Apple uses!
It displays a blue sphere...

Please let's not compare Apples with Googles. First show the same results, details and accuracy; THEN we compare who did it with less bandwidth usage.

G

"It's worth noting that Google Maps running on Android devices already run on vector-based graphics."

So native Map Apps on the respective OS run Vector. Where exactly is the news here.

Ohh I get it..

Apple copies Google and runs Maps on Vector!

G

Wait, so at the end the article says "It's worth noting that Google Maps running on Android devices already run on vector-based graphics." So their comparison wasn't really fair then? Since most users use maps from their mobile phones, wouldn't you compare that or at least both!?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]HyperChicken[/nom]Wait, so at the end the article says "It's worth noting that Google Maps running on Android devices already run on vector-based graphics." So their comparison wasn't really fair then? Since most users use maps from their mobile phones, wouldn't you compare that or at least both!?[/citation]
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]"It's worth noting that Google Maps running on Android devices already run on vector-based graphics."So native Map Apps on the respective OS run Vector. Where exactly is the news here.Ohh I get it..Apple copies Google and runs Maps on Vector![/citation]
It just proves the advancement of AndroidOS and it's superiority over iOS. Nothing more.

G

Because it has 80% less mapping data available!!!! lol...!! I can make a 100x100 pixel blank image in photoshop that only uses 10k of data...! yes, I'll use that as my mapping program....!!

bobafert

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
That bit at the end there was most telling. That Google has the more efficient vector maps program available, but was only willing to give it to their Android users and not to Apple. I can see that as a reason for Apple to want to create their own maps program even though they still had a license to use Google Maps. That, however, does not excuse Apple for pushing out a vastly inferior product. Espeasially when their fortune has been made by charging more for a "superior" user experience.

G

Google has Google maps, Google sky maps, and now Google is mapping the ocean. Seems like Google will map the moon and mars before apple finishes a decent state map.

G

What a crappy headline, at least they corrected their misleading statement at the very end. Google uses vector graphics on android too. The only reason they cant on iOS is because APPLE WONT LET THEM. Google maps on iOS is nothing more than going to maps.google.com and downloading them through HTTP. The "app" is basically a bookmark shortcut. They might as well say "Apple maps offers turn by turn navigation unlike Google..............when used exclusively on iOS devices lulz"

G

Day By Day the quality of the site is going to the toilet with articles like that one , are you trying to get more comments ? to get more views on the web (like I'm going to share with other people this laughable article) .
Give us a break (And a bit of credit) and stop acting like a yellow tabloid......

Status
Not open for further replies.