Apple May Reveal Cloudy iPhone September 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Here we go. First major device where they'll take storage away from you... It doesn't even matter that it's Apple, it's just the global cloud trend... it's a highway to hell. Mark my words.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Anyone else feel like they have zero use for iCloud. I enjoy lots of iPhone features. Apps are great, the iPod part of it works well, internet, maps, etc. It syncs well with the iMac, ok i get it everything works with everything. Gadget nirvana.

But cloud storage/syncing? I have to wait to get things from some server instead of instantly having them on my phone? Why? Just give me a 64GB phone and problem solved. I don't want to upload all of my photos and MP3s, that's a waste of time. Everyone I talk has similar feelings. I wonder how Apple will get users to adopt this? I'm trying hard, but I really see no use.

G

Apple, verizon and all the providers are going to *LOVE* this for a while. They are going to have millions of people blowing through their 2GB data plan in 2 weeks if you have to stream everything you want via "the cloud".

Personally this fad (yes it's a fad) of "the cloud" is stupid. Why should I pay more to let someone ELSE hold onto my data? i'm a big boy, I can take care of my own stuff thank you.

Can't wait to see everyone up in arms when they get their first cell phone bill and see an extra 50 bucks tacked on for all the data they are eating up thanks to the cloud.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
A 32GB microSDHC cost around £32, if this is 15% of the phones cost does this mean a 32GB Iphone should cost around £213. I did pick up a 32GB flash drive just last week for £17.79 which would make that £118.60. You can bet Apple are getting thiers for alot less. All of which makes me think that the idea that the storage costs 15% of the cost to build the device is just a very bad guesstimate.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Cloud is nice for a secondary backup, but it is horrible idea for iPhones. AT&T and Verizon have dollar signs in their eyes right now, because unlimited data plans don't exist anymore and they stand to make millions off of the fools that buy a iPhone Cloud and go over their 2GB data plans.

This has to be the worst idea I've heard in a while, but there will be people out there that don't understand that getting an iPhone for FREE with a 2 Year Agreement will cost them more every month. Hopefully this will die a miserable death like the Kindle!!!

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
why not just drop internal storage to 8GB or even less then put a micrfo SD slot like the rest of the industry. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Riv4L

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Who wants to bet that opting out of auto syncing everything (including sensitive documents) will be very difficult and riddled with errors.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
This is likely a conspiracy between apple and their 2 phone lovers at&t and verizon. If apple skims on the storage, these service providers get to ether charge more when users go over their limits or re-release unlimited internet... which with these companies of course means 6GB istead of 5 this time around!

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Remember when cloud computing was called a mainframe and you used a terminal. Feels like we are going backwards. AND yea Im goona trust the naked pictures of my wife on an apple cloud..

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
People who aren't impressed with iCloud have no idea how it really works. If you think it's just another version of DropBox, Google Docs or a big hard drive in the sky then you are clueless to what Apple really has in mind for iCloud.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]People who aren't impressed with iCloud have no idea how it really works. If you think it's just another version of DropBox, Google Docs or a big hard drive in the sky then you are clueless to what Apple really has in mind for iCloud.[/citation]
It will be fantastic... for ISPs. Most people don't have unlimited data plans on their cell phones, I also thought that cell phone providers removed all unlimited data plans from their services which will mean an added cost of using the phone.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
iCloud isn't just for phones. And iOS 5 has options to set up if you want to wait until you are near WiFi before it syncs up or if you want to use 3G. So it's not like you're forced to use your cell phone data up. iCloud services also only transfer changes to your documents, files or devices, reducing the amount of data needed.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
ummm... if all my data's on the cloud, what happens when my Captivate drops connection several times during my express train ride? I lose the priviledge of listening to my own music or watching my own videos because its on the cloud? no thanks.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Imagine trusting the Apple parasite with you valuable and personal data. Why not establish you own cloud drive available through the internet using a NAS. You will pay zero monthly fees and have all your files accessible from whereever you are. Yes apple thrives on the ignorance of the masses. A nice NAS drive http://fwd4.me/097I

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS