Apple Modernizes iOS 5 With Android-like Notifications, BBM-like Messaging, and

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I own an ipad and an iphone 4. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about them, mostly the resolution, color, and touch screen, and the camera, but i'd still much rather have a phone that is hmmmm.... Less proprietary.With that, here is a list of things I hate and would like to see different.[/citation]

I have Android and an iPad... so I'll knock some back at you. :) I won't quote everything on your rant. They will be numbered thou...

1) Agreed... but that is the "tech" in us. For many people, its easier to "sync" as all you have to do is tell iTunes WHAT folders you want to sync.

2) App store issues... ditto. Perhaps in iOS5?

3) FLASH issues: That should be understood. Yes, its a battery hog... HTML5 can handle Flash type content. But there is a REAL reason for FLASH being banned from the iPhone.
Control. With FLASH, you can get apps and games and NOT go through the Apple APP store. So its only about security and control.

4) Yes, in a sense - the iOS is the most owned platform that plays games. Angry bird, etc. Don't count on them ever coming out with a joystick-button phone. You have options... SONY PlayStation Phone. It has what you want... oddly, a rather out-dated CPU.

5) Pretty much nobody has true 4G. As you should see, they are moving OFF of using wired HDMI... The dock connector goes to USB. Removable battery (agreed) but understand why. Makes for a bit thinner device and design style. Don't count on that happening.

6) 2012~2013...

7) You know better than to dream that. Get an Android. Windows7 is also a closed platform.

8) Their DOCK connector works with hundreds, if not thousands of iOS type devices. 1 connector is idiot proof... It is a "standard" connector in that ALL iPhone, iPad, iPod devices work on the same connector. You won't see that happen with Android and WP7 devices because each manufacture can decide what and were to put various connectors. For 3rd party makers, they KNOW that the iOS Dock Connector is located and what it can do.

9) Multi-tasking ? Even my Android is a bit slowing sometimes switching between modes.

10) Wifi hotspots has to do with your phone carrier more than anything else. Has nothing to do with Apple. at&t, etc will milk you for whatever they want. HotSpots SHOULD be free since the whole point is: faster data and to take the load off of the 3G/4G/etc.

11) LOL... Root it and take your chances.

I've installed the Launcher7 onto my Android phone, makes it work very much like Windows7. Works great, love it. An HTC will most likely be in your future.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
To be fair most "tards" buy Android as its cheaper, they are a bit stupid so have crap jobs and cant afford the super cool products like us cool fashionable people.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
iCrap is certainly innovative. Indeed impressive, and the iCon Mr Jobs has yet to unveil the iScaf, a scarf matching the iCrap logo that promises to get you laid pronto once you wear it in your favorite coffee shop, regardless of whether your look like crap. Stay tune for the New York Times article on this innovative idea by their iGinious, the con artist Mr Jobs.

We all love the crap Mr Jobs nicely encases for his iToodumb fanboys. What would the herd do without the ingenious innovations of Mr Jobs.

pacostrano

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]That's almost as amazing as their revolutionary cloud service! What a concept![/citation]

Google do the same thing with gmail

felipex

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
People may iHate them, I personally iHate them a little, but one thing they do right (at least): they upgrade ALL versions with new OS. Take a look at the shameful Android failure: I have what they call an "open" platform with my Samsung Galaxy Tab... Well, I've bought it because it was "open" so surely I would get all upcoming Android versions... I've bought it at the Brazilian launch (actually I've got it before launch in a prerelease). It came with Froyo (2.2), and, guess what: the Xoom was lauched a few months later with Gingerbread (3.0) and my Tab is still suffering with the stupid tablet-unfriendly Froyo... This is almost ridiculous...

When I bought my iPhone 4, almost an year ago, it was in iOS 4.1, now it is in iOS 4.3.3. I can tether my 3G freely (in Brazil it is against the law to charge for tethering) and I use the iPhone as a hotspot to access the internet in my Galaxy Tab. I've also got the free Find My iPhone update in iOS 4.1 which allowed me to recover the robbed iPhone...

What update did my Android tablet get? None whatsoever.

What can I do? I have an amaxing (hardware-wise) tablet with the Galazy Tab and crappy software. Should I BUY the new version running 3.0? I've already spent U$ 900 in it (the price here in Brazil), it is DISRESPECTFUL to FRAME me into buying again a new version of the hardware only to get the new firmware/software/OS.

I never ever considered buying the iPad due to the shortcomings of the platform, but while Apple keeps a stead flow of updates to all hardware versions, bringing in new features, even ripoffs from other OSes (which are welcome because I want what is best), Android-based hardware is lagging behind. This is a NO-SHOW for me. If I was aware of this before buying the Galaxy Tab I would never have committed all that money into an obsolete platform that lacks firmware upgrades.

Ando don't tell me to root my device: there is no fully working version of Android 3 for the Galaxy Tab...

Status
Not open for further replies.