Apple Modernizes iOS 5 With Android-like Notifications, BBM-like Messaging, and

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf634

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
This is a god send!!! All hail to Steve & Co. for giving us the feature enjoyed by android all along, on the most advanced mobile os that is the ios which didn't even have copy/paste and multi-tasking until the revolutionary evolution. Not to mention for the first time people can own an apple gadgets without needing a mac or pc! This is what I call innovation! ios 5 is gonna be awesome!

I like how in the video they are so proud and full of themselves. Wifi sync is cool though, if you own a mac and use itune.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Some neat ideas. Some big brother ideas. Some false statements.

Some of this I do with my Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5. That's pretty disappointing if you're an Apple fan.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Okay I have only 2 real replies to this news. Cloud service is NOT revolutionary for Apple and is in fact archaic and grossly costly. For example Mobile Me is how much for a year? For the price of roughly Mobile Me for 1.5 years you can get a 1TB external hard drive with cloud storage service from Iomega with the cloud service being free in contrast to how much Cloud storage from Mobile Me? As far as contacts, Google does it better and for free. Nice Apple, your actually BEHIND in the market place for cloud storage and the cost alone is ridiculous.

Secondly, shouldn't we be seeing in the news tommorrow from Google about a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on its user~interface. I mean isn't this what Apple does? What's to say Android won't go "Oh hey you're copying us, we're gonna sue your a@@ now". Wait for it people... On the bright side this is a hint to Tom's to get on top of this and beat endgadget to a story for once LOL! J/K

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Everything we do at crapple is original...well as original as android. Sad thing is how many sheeples will be totally amazed at this and hail it as "revolutionary" and of course "magical." Yes..if you exclude the rest of technology I *guess* it's revolutionary...

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I really like how awesome is that now you can even have a tabbed browsing. Who would ever guessed that it can be possible? /s

G

I love how the song they choose for the background is "I'm Your Prostitute, You Are Going To Get Some (Lykke Li)", what message are they sending us?

Would somebody PLEASE think of the children!??!

G

sdeleon515 : I don't get it ... while are you keep holding Apple hostage with MobileMe. Jobs admitted it ... it failed, so he's introducing iCloud. Let's compare Apples to Apples, so to speak.

Your constant whine and complaining makes you look weak. iCloud DOES provide something that Google cannot offer without signing a deal with the labels. Whether you like it or not, the iCloud services DOES look more convenient than what Amazon or Google offers.

People like convenience for a small feed. It might not be for everyone, but it sure looks like there's going to be mass adoption. Let the market decide. They will be the ultimate judge of that. Not me, not you ....

No one cares who came out with what first .... at the end, it's about who's got a better product. Consumers are buying the product/service ... not something intangible like innovation or patents or first movers advantage.

Right now, it looks like Win8 better be kick ass or Lion is going to be a step ahead once again ...

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Guess what the minute windows 8 comes out, I'm burning my ipad 2, and getting a real tablet that has java and flash and the worlds biggest largest software platform. The iphone was cool, after I got the ipad 2, I learned iOS simply sucks a$$$$$ for any real type of web experience , I'm not even talking for power usage. I honestly can't wait to throw this thing on ebay for the next sucker.

PS my blackberry torch puts my iphone to shame. What a sham. This is a rant I get more frustrated my iPad Waste of Money every time I go to a site I can't view because Steve Jobs thinks his ***k is so large, that he can rule everything. The same reason why apple got it's a$$$$$ kicked by the PC in the 80's will be the same reason why I'm never buying another IPAD , and now that MS has turned it's attention to doing it the right way and giving me the openess I'm accustomed, I'm mean seriously, java and flash you don't like as technologies so what, it's ubiquitous, it's like saying I don't like high ways so everyone should fly instead, bottom line highwas get the job done and have a place.

G

Too bad all these feature are available already to Jailbroken iPhones. FAIL!

6joshh6

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
at least five of these 'new' features already exist on my original n95 which was released in 2007. They ARE improving iOS but it should have happened way back in the past really. The keyboard is interesting though. I think a keyboard that can shift around the screen would be useful. If they became more open and became truly innovative I might think that android has competition.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I own an ipad and an iphone 4. I got them both as gifts from my wife. I would gladly trade them for an android or a windows based solution.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about them, mostly the resolution, color, and touch screen, and the camera, but i'd still much rather have a phone that is hmmmm.... Less proprietary.
With that, here is a list of things I hate and would like to see different.

1. Hate Syncing... What a pain... Can I please have drag and drop.

2. App Store... I understand why everyone likes it, because it's one place to search for everything, but, can I please have an app store that remembers what I was looking at last time I was on there, or some pages I can select through? Every time I download an app, I have to scroll through 10 pages and wait for loading to get back to where I was.

3. There is nothing I hate more then a developer "DECIDING" what I need on the phone. PLEASE ADD FLASH!!

4. Is it really the most popular game platform (I really doubt it)? Hate being forced to use the gyroscope or the touchscreen to play games. Can I please have some "REAL" buttons, in the form of pushbuttons, D-pad, or analog stick like the PSP. Or at least have the ability to use a controller with it some how. I've given up hope of playing any "REAL" games on the ipad or iphone.

5. Hardware I'd love to have: HDMI, USB, Micro SD slot, Removable battery, 4G.

6. Hardware i'd love to have, in the next generation: 3d screen, 4g.

7. Maybe in the next O.S. it would be nice if it was more "Open Platform" so that I can edit the files system on my phone and use non apple apps, and be able to use third party apps, instead of being forced to only buy apps with "APPLES" aproval. (I know that will never happen).

8. One thing I really hate is the iphone "Dock" connector. I'm sick being forced to use a propriety connector when there are better solutions out there. Again, hdmi, instead of paying $60.00 on a special cord to do wi-fi out, usb for chargin and "OTHER THINGS".

9. Multi-tasking... I want real mult-tasking, not close one window, then open up another window, and go back to a loading screen. Just hearing music or taking a phonecall when your on the internet does not qualify for multi-tasking.

10. Can I please have free Wi-fi hotspot, I already pay for my data plan, so why charge me to use hardware already built into the phone?

11. Hopefully the next ver. of IOS will have more customizing, Instead of just being able to change the background.

Sorry for the rant... Next phone is definitely gonna be android or windows, most likely windows phone.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Wow iHaters flocking to another Apple article...shocking!!! lol Good to see iOS and Droid feeding off each other to make better product for the consumers. Win 7 mobile is not a bad OS but too little too late and I expect the same for Windows 8 tablet.

Also people tend to forget what battery hogs flash is and there are reasons Apple is trying to stay away from it until Adobe seriously optimizes Flash!

G

You know whats will make ios a lot better? try putting flash on it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS