Apple Passes RIM; Now 4th Largest Phone Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]Im amazed to see how many units Nokia is pushin... rest of the world for the nokia win.[/citation]

you're talking about nokia in a dying market, in the years of the inevitable smartphone dominance, i can almost guarantee you that you will not see nokia or lg on that list. in other words, you see nokia on top in that list its because of ANY type of mobile phone including cheap ass prepaid phones are being sold.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
It's got to be the thing I like most about Apple, & I'm not an Apple fan. I'm happy that Apple could force everyone else to get serious with making Smartphones. I was tired of being the only one with an HTC for years. Now I'm not stuck with Windows Mobile & Android is forced to offer lots of Apps.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
when apple makes a phone without glaring hardware flaws, they make an all right phone, and its great for their extensive library of fart apps, the problem being android phones catch up and outpace them not very long after release.

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]rattyuk[/nom]@branemanPerhaps if you learned to spell brain, you may have a point...[/citation]
Perhaps he actually means Brane. It is a word.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Just really disappointed that in today's world, nothing but style and flash and some marketing can actually overcome a seasoned veteran of the smartphone arena that innovated in useful terms. I mean sure, Apple was innovative in some ways but let's look at it frankly. All they did was help a bunch of attention-deprived people get addicted to useless games, while BlackBerries are running the world, producing GDP and actually doing good for the society...

Just a little rant.

G

eddierools, 'nothing but style and flash'?

Firstly - Apple phones pretty much set the benchmark for the whole smartphone market. Their phone is still the simplest, sleekest, most usable on the market, with the most apps. In key metrics such as battery life and screen quality, for example, they are so far ahead of the competition.

Secondly - I now own an Apple IPhone and I've not played a single game on it. I use it to operate my various business concerns and it is invaluable in that regard. Blackberrys and IPhones can both be used for business and both can be used for games. Don't be so ridiculously judgemental.

The only reason the Blackberry was popular is that it was the only real 'business' oriented phone, but over time businesses have grasped the obvious fact that the IPhone can be used just as well for business, and because it's easier to use it increases productivity.

And many people would argue that the elitist 'Blackberrys are running the world', meaning helping the big corporations to become richer at the expense of the smaller businesses, is not exactly doing 'good' for society.

In fact, I would go a step further and argue that a phone which is focused on personal relations, family, communication and simplicity does a lot more good for society than being driven by the bottom line.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I agree with ManOfTheWorld... except for the last paragraph.

''In fact, I would go a step further and argue that a phone which is focused on personal relations, family, communication and simplicity does a lot more good for society than being driven by the bottom line.''

You do realise this is Apple you are talking about? ALL companies are driven not by the bottom line, but by profit. Apple just seems to take this a little further than any other company with regards to their huge mark ups on their products.

I do not like the way Apple forces you to by in to their whole family. I may want their phone, but I do not want iTunes to manage my media, for example.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
The problem for RIM is that blackberry is viewed as a professional business phone but many, while the iPhone is seen as the hip and cool phone. More of a status symbol then anything else.

If I where RIM i would release a phone under a name different then blackberry and market the hell out of it as the "hip" new phone. The Majority of the population does not even know the RIM name just know what a blackberry is.

G

Go figure.Apple stock has been driven down to just above $300, poised to fall through in Mondays trading and then this news. Surely to send the price higher.Knock them if you must but Apple is an amazing company.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]The problem for RIM is that blackberry is viewed as a professional business phone but many, while the iPhone is seen as the hip and cool phone. More of a status symbol then anything else.If I where RIM i would release a phone under a name different then blackberry and market the hell out of it as the "hip" new phone. The Majority of the population does not even know the RIM name just know what a blackberry is.[/citation]

No, the problem with blackberries is they stink at everything except business compared to other phones. They are still the best in corporate environments thanks to central management and security. But if all you want to do is brag about apps...BB has few that are worth having. Also their phones are slow...and every new OS fails to address that.

I've been a loyal BB user for years, but I am tired of the slowness and 10 minutes it takes to reboot the thing. Likely going Android or W7P if they are much faster and ofter keyboards.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]You do realise this is Apple you are talking about? ALL companies are driven not by the bottom line, but by profit.[/citation]

The bottom line is profit...

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
@rattyuk you are the first person in 3 years to even mention that, I would honestly like to thank you for that.
the point I was trying to make is that apple makes great phones if you don't look at the hardware flaws they don't fix(I would get a iphone 3g if an archos tablet wasn't cheaper), the app store that has is very elastic on what they actually let through and block(admittedly I'm assuming they have quality control).

Apple would be an amazing company if they didn't have the ability to turn a technical flaw into a major pr disaster just look at the antennae problem for the iphone 4, they could have included generic one color bumpers with the phones and reduced the price on the different colored bumpers, or they could have not tried to cover it up with a software patch.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]xantek24[/nom]you're talking about nokia in a dying market, in the years of the inevitable smartphone dominance, i can almost guarantee you that you will not see nokia or lg on that list. in other words, you see nokia on top in that list its because of ANY type of mobile phone including cheap ass prepaid phones are being sold.[/citation]

Will it be so? In the next few years when tabs hit the market hard. Most people who buy them will realize they don't need a smartphone.

Conventional phones offer something that smartphone hardly offer: the ability to make reliable phone calls. Charge them once and they'll be in a standby mode for two weeks and they won't you let down when you want to make that important phone call. Smartphones are usable when you have them pluged in all the time.

Smartphone as too lame for gaming and to small for browsing and reading and when you used them properly their battery life is too short to be useful.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I LIKE IT VERY, VERY MUCH! When somebody puts a table with numbers on the web as an image. Especially a low resolution image - they way Tomsguide likes it the most!

:D

You're a jokester, Tomsguide! A good one at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.