Apple Patent Detects Device Abuse

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Well, there goes my iGrenade app I was hoping to make my fortune on.

If this goes into an iPhone or iPod and you own that app that acts like an old Etch-a-sketch, do you void the warranty the first time you erase the drawing you just made?

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
$5 says taking you brand new purchase home from the store, opening it's packaging, or turning it on will result in an "abuse" flag for some customers.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]You're all morons.[/citation]
Way to start a post. People always love to be called that.

[citation][nom]Maxtor127[/nom]No one even bothered to bring up the only question that really matters, which is how much will all of these sensors add to the cost and what happens when a sensor goes bad or is inaccurate or not calibrated correctly?[/sitation]
Actually, acecombat above did ask that question.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]How are we to know that this "abuse event recorder" will not label a device failure as abuse? I hope that someone finds a quick workaround for this mechanism, then the consumer will have the last laugh.[/citation]
My guess on ETA for hack: 3-9 days.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Straight after a consumer abuse event occurs, there should be a "You've been screwed by Apple" event with its event ID being a counter so we can keep track.

G

Great, so I can check my purchase before I hand over the money to make sure it hasn't been Abused prior to purchase? Is that right Apple? I sure wouldn't like to take your "word" on it, especially where my money is concerned!

holodust

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
With all these BS they're doing in last few months Apple finally started to reveal its true ugly face - White Supremacy Nazi Big Brother.

G

How would we know it hasn't been dropped before we bought it?

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i doubt very much whether this will affect customer returns what-so-ever. Most times you have a faulty piece of kit as described in the article, it is usually replaced for new in the store you got it from to avoid arguments with the customer. Also many people have insurance policies in place the guarantee new for old. the system described is for use in reporting post-return so that the manufacturers can see better the types of thing that causes the failures..

That being said, it does have the potential to end up being used in-store using a simple plug in adapter that can interrogate the onboard chip to read the "events" when you return your product, however we are a long way from that... do u really think the average shop assistant could be trusted to carry out such tasks in front of the customer? me thinks not...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm this has a lot of potential for mis-use...

Buy an iPod. Replace crappy white earbuds with something decent that isn't Apple brand. Flag as abuse. Same story for all those iPod docks, chargers, etc out there.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I confidently predict a massive Apple fan will pipe up any minute to "defend" this. I wonder what kind of moronic, pin headed, fuckwit abuse of the laws of physics they will come up with.good".[/citation]
You sir, are an idiot.
Many devices include such monitoring devices. Moisture detection is common. A shock sensor isnt a bad idea if it works. Why should they pay for your screw up? I do not see a need for a continuity monitor though. This is all to protect apple. I am sure you do not realize the massive returns/exchanges apple has to deal with because of simple consumer carelessness. Don't hate on apple for implimenting existing (and more common then you think) technology. And no, i'm not a fan-boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS