Apple Patent Reveals Face Detection for iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I don't want Apple or anyone else storing my digital facial profile.

Also, how is "low threshold face recognition" secure? If I mock up a mannequin head with the same general features in the correct (or close-enough to pass) positions, or even hold up a photograph of my face, isn't that enough to get past the facial recognition system in a "low threshold" configuration?

G

How is this possible, isn't the new android doing the same? why can't they rape apple for this finally?

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Nah, this is no battle, after 10 years they'll sue everyone using FR saying they invented it. Pretty simple foresight actually, since it's very cleverly labeled as low threshold, meaning the beginning or basic of FR tech of the future.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The patent was applied for almost two years ago. It predates Androids use of this technology. On the other hand though PC's have done this for far longer than that.

G

people recognize each other all the time... I don't care if apple patents the technical methods, filters etc... to derive recognition. But if they think they can patent "recognition" itself then the patent system is truly broken.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]The patent was applied for almost two years ago. It predates Androids use of this technology. On the other hand though PC's have done this for far longer than that.[/citation]
The Android face unlock was first shown in may 2011, and this patent was filled in June 2010. I wonder how much time was face unlock under development for Android. Also like you stated facial recognition isn't something new.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]The patent was applied for almost two years ago. It predates Androids use of this technology. On the other hand though PC's have done this for far longer than that.[/citation]

Google Goggles was Google's test bed for FR and other recongzation, GG has been out for about 3 years now and pre-dates this patent.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I don't want Apple or anyone else storing my digital facial profile.Also, how is "low threshold face recognition" secure? If I mock up a mannequin head with the same general features in the correct (or close-enough to pass) positions, or even hold up a photograph of my face, isn't that enough to get past the facial recognition system in a "low threshold" configuration?[/citation]

Sigh.... As you probably have hundreds of pictures on mySpace or Facebook....

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The Android face unlock was first shown in may 2011, and this patent was filled in June 2010. I wonder how much time was face unlock under development for Android. Also like you stated facial recognition isn't something new.[/citation]

Irrelevant.

Prior art has to actually be art. Not just a claimed 'in progress' art.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Dantte[/nom]Google Goggles was Google's test bed for FR and other recongzation, GG has been out for about 3 years now and pre-dates this patent.[/citation]

Was Google Goggles used to unlock smartphones?

To confuse this patent with facial recognition in general, as per 'Vladislaus', is to misunderstand what that patent is actually for.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I don't want Apple or anyone else storing my digital facial profile.Also, how is "low threshold face recognition" secure? If I mock up a mannequin head with the same general features in the correct (or close-enough to pass) positions, or even hold up a photograph of my face, isn't that enough to get past the facial recognition system in a "low threshold" configuration?[/citation]

No it isn't enough.

G

This has been around forever on PC. If you google "face login webcamera" you can find a bunch of free applications to "unlock" or log you into your PC. Its been around for a really long time and even included as a standard feature in many of the major PC makers laptops / desktops.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]bunmchole[/nom]This has been around forever on PC. If you google "face login webcamera" you can find a bunch of free applications to "unlock" or log you into your PC. Its been around for a really long time and even included as a standard feature in many of the major PC makers laptops / desktops.[/citation]

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]To confuse this patent with facial recognition in general, as per 'Vladislaus', is to misunderstand what that patent is actually for.[/citation]

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
iOS trying to play "me too" with this, just like they did with the notification bar, multi-tasking and so on.
Next year they will "invent" widgets and after that power controls...

Status
Not open for further replies.