Apple Pays South Korean Man 1 Million Won

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Off forgot to add. There is no separate civil court system in South Korea. Due to this it's no where near as expensive as it is in the USA but it can take a long time depending on the availability of a judge. The judge after hearing both sides will announce a verdict and deliver the sentence (criminal) or fine (civil / criminal) of the offending party. In this case the amount won by the man may seem small, but it sets the precedent that victims can claim money from Apple. Once he gets more people, then Apple is looking at losing serious money in the largest cellphone market in the world. SK is now approx 50 million people, there are 55 million cell phone subscriptions, I'll let the readers work the numbers out.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]My 1500 square foot city apartment is 1,100,000 KRW a month with a 20,000,000 KRW deposit. Same apartment in Seoul would be 3,000,000 KRW a month with a 20,000,000 to 40,000,000 KRW deposit.[/citation]

So, a BMW is 80 million KRW and the deposit for your apartment is 40 million KRW?

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]BleachForMyB[/nom]Let's say you are licensed to do in-home anal bleaching.[/citation]
Dude, I just shot m Coke through my nose! LOL!!!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Apple Pays South Korean Man 1 Million..."

I am getting so tired of THG using these misleading headlines just to entice us to open a B.S. article so they get a few more add display counts at the expense of our time.

Peter

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ralfthedog[/nom]The sad thing about this is, the information was never sent to anyone. It was stored on your iPhone. If you backed up your iPhone, it was also stored on your computer. It did not even store your location to any degree of accuracy. It was just a table of near by cell phone towers that was used to give a faster lock for GPS. What happens in your phone, stays in your phone.[/citation]

Unless you are having an affair and your 'other half' is an IT person checking your PC, phone etc. The consequences can be dire; and avoidable if Apple would properly disclose the fact that the phone stored the data. And please, let's skip the B.S. that it was a 'bug'. Yeah, and I have a bridge for sale !

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Unless you are having an affair and your 'other half' is an IT person checking your PC, phone etc. The consequences can be dire; and avoidable if Apple would properly disclose the fact that the phone stored the data. And please, let's skip the B.S. that it was a 'bug'. Yeah, and I have a bridge for sale ![/citation]

Lets just assume for the moment that Apple is an evil(TM) company that decided to store this information so they can mind control every human in the world. How could they use that information if it is never sent back to Apple? If they never get their hands on the data, why bother storing it? (Hint, next time you have an affair, turn off location services first. It is standard operating procedure. Hint # 2, most if not all cell phones that have GPS functionality will store a similar file, the difference is, the code that truncates the file is not commented out.)

One other thing, Apple had no idea this much data was being stored, why would some IT person off the street? From Apple's perspective, it was a bug because the file was becoming unmanageably large for some users.

G

irrespective of whether was a win for whoever, i have come to the sad conclusion that the smartphone was in fact invented by lawyers as an alternate revenue stream......

G

@ralfthedog

the information does not need to be sent anywhere for it to be abused, your personal address book on your phone for instance, will go no where at all, stored completely locally (for the majority of cases) yet i bet you'll be not pleased if apps where accessing it left right and center

forget iPhone, any phone, that stores your GPS data is somewhat suspect, for what exact purpose would such data serve, and if your engineers could not figure out a decent algorithm that determines the best cell towers to use for any given location without the need of historical reference information then you really shouldn't be making phones at all

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]LOL, 1 million won sounds like a lot of money until you look at the currency exchange rate... US$986[/citation]
There was a Top Gear special episode where they're in Vietnam and each of them got
14 million dong to buy them some wheels. Turns out 14 million dong is about $1000 USD.
To buy a BMW in Vietnam it cost about 3 billion dong!

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
That is allot of Dong....

I couldn't resist.

[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]There was a Top Gear special episode where they're in Vietnam and each of them got14 million dong to buy them some wheels. Turns out 14 million dong is about $1000 USD.To buy a BMW in Vietnam it cost about 3 billion dong![/citation]

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Unless you are having an affair and your 'other half' is an IT person checking your PC, phone etc. The consequences can be dire; and avoidable if Apple would properly disclose the fact that the phone stored the data. And please, let's skip the B.S. that it was a 'bug'. Yeah, and I have a bridge for sale ![/citation]How much for the bridge? I'm looking for a good roof to put over my head, and I'm tired of renting bridges from the local hobos.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
You'd think that if people really cared about their location data being stored on their phone, they'd ask for a public apology and the problem to be fixed ASAP.

How's money going to help you if you're worried about someone potentially seeing that you've been to walking to work the last 3 days (god forbid)

Oh greed, where would we be without you.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So, a BMW is 80 million KRW and the deposit for your apartment is 40 million KRW?[/citation]

40 Million KRW if in Seoul, I'm in a different city so deposit is only 20 Million KRW. The chonsei system is where you put down a large amount of money and essentially pay no rent. If I was able to put down 110 Million KRW (about $100,000 USD) then I would pay zero rent and when I moved out the deposit is returned to me. The apartment owner gets to keep the interest of any investments made with that money, but he must be able to pay it at the expiration of the lease. The other system is wolsei where you just pay rent with a very small deposit equal to one months rent. I do a hybrid of those two were my rent is lowered based on the size of the deposit. So basically for a 1500 square foot new apartment you pay $1500 a month USD ($3~5000 a month in Seoul) but with deposit I only pay $1000 or so a month.

The car part was used as a base for comparison, a $40,000 USD car is worth 80 million KRW due to taxes. It shows the value of luxury items relative to the currency.

And to the above poster, the currency is not devalued, its designed without a sub-currency. Meaning no quarters, no dimes, no fraction of the base denomination. They instead just tacked three zero's onto the end and used sub 1000 units for coins. The lowest printed currency is a 1,000 KRW bill, which is worth slightly less then a $1 USD bill. Otherwise prices are compatible to the USA and Japan with luxury goods being more expensive but food and domestic clothing being cheaper. For a similar system look at Japan's Yen, which use's the 100 yen as the base.

G

So filthy bottom-scraping parasitic tort lawyers are global. Big deal. You'll find human-shaped garbage in courtrooms around the world, because greed knows no race or nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.