Apple Removes Game ''Sweatshop HD'' from App Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Did the game have overworked Foxconn employees jumping to their deaths?

Though in getting rid of the app, Apple's links to sweatshops will get mentioned on tech sites like this one.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Apple sucks huge b**ls haven't purchased an iphone since 4 and guess what I'm not going to this attitude all the more reason, I'm done with them.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
The Irony of Apple blocking an app that depicts how workers in china being paid $1 an hour are rioting and committing suicide off the roof of Foxxconn because of unfair labor practices??

So it's ok to steal cars, kill people with guns, but it's not ok to pay them less than minimum wage, or block the fire escape ????

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I don't understand why Apple would do this. They are missing out on a golden opportunity. What they should have done was create an online leaderboard so they would be able to recruit the best of the best for their own factories.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]poohbear2005[/nom]WTF? Thats stupid! If anyone finds it offensive they can simply not buy it.[/citation]
see that would require people to think for themselves and in today's society your thinking is done by the television, movies, teachers, and government. Independent thought is all but illegal now. Dont believe me? try speeding on an empty road, or not wearing your seat belt, or smoking anywhere but your own home (assuming you dont live in an apartment), or not having health insurance, or starting your won business as a florist without a license to operate the business or be a florist...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"The Irony of Apple blocking an app that depicts how workers in china being paid $1 an hour are rioting and committing suicide off the roof of Foxxconn because of unfair labor practices?? "

And lined-up to get jobs when they are available.

http://www.worldsalaries.org/china.shtml [granted 2004-2005 data]

An average computer programmer or Engineer made the equivalent of $252 per month; for 40 hours a week, that is $1.45 per hour.

Postman, $1.36/hr
Nurse, $1.08/hr
Office Clerk, $1.03/hr
Accountant $0.95
Bus Driver $0.71

The manufacturing sector, $0.77

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
You heard it here first, folks. Sweatshops are NOT ok to make a game about, but games about killing, maiming, and torturing are all fine. Good to know where the line is drawn.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Johmama[/nom]You heard it here first, folks. Sweatshops are NOT ok to make a game about, but games about killing, maiming, and torturing are all fine. Good to know where the line is drawn.[/citation]
You make an excellent point.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is one of the reasons i don't buy apple productss or shop at walmart. These companies take it as their moral duty to Choose what consumers can and can't buy or whats available on the market.

Just sick of all teh companies taking some moral high ground , its BS.

luxology

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Since some people have mentioned Foxconn, a well sourced article on Wikipedia shows that Foxconn serves quite a few big names:

Acer Inc
Amazon.com
Apple Inc
Cisco
Dell
Google
Hewlett-Packard
Microsoft
Motorola Mobility
Nintendo
Nokia
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio

Not to mention all the other manufacturers out there besides Foxconn.
I am definitely NOT defending Apple, but I am pointing out that it's not just the Apple fans who are contributing to the problem.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]luxology[/nom]Since some people have mentioned Foxconn, a well sourced article on Wikipedia shows that Foxconn serves quite a few big names:Acer IncAmazon.comApple IncCiscoDellGoogleHewlett-PackardMicrosoftMotorola MobilityNintendoNokiaSonyToshibaVizioNot to mention all the other manufacturers out there besides Foxconn.I am definitely NOT defending Apple, but I am pointing out that it's not just the Apple fans who are contributing to the problem.[/citation]
I pointed this out many times over, but many don't seem to like the truth much. They choose to hit the little red thumb down vise really address that we have a much bigger problem. I guess they find comfort in ignorance.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Apple eventually will be taken to court in the US when someone decides they've had enough of the obvious violations of the 1st Amendment. Sadly, no one currently seems to care -- we are Borg, we are one.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

There is absolutely NOTHING that says one has to "write a book" in order to criticize anything.

But it seems the US (along with Apple) is becoming more and more "sensitive" and US society is moving the direction of suppression ... ironic very Taliban like. Odd that a country like the US that is so Anti-Taliban is actually slowly but surely moving towards those very same ideals of suppression under the belief of not wanting to "offend" anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.