Apple Removes Unofficial Google Maps iOS App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Why are people defending Google?.[/citation]
Because people consider Apple a threat to competition. Why? I have no idea. They are making alternatives to the PC market (even if they are overpriced), which is keeping Microsoft protected from monopoly laws. Apparently people think Apple succeeds because they patent so many things and get suckers because they capitalize on patent trolling, when clearly it's because Apple is aware of their main target market which are spoiled teens and young adults of today.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Now sure compared to Stalin, Lenin was the "good" communist. But that's like saying Guderian was the Good Nazi.[/citation]
Stalin gets an unfairly reductionist view of his reign. Yes, he did some truly heinous things that rival Hitler in their atrocity (Ukrainian genocide, anyone?). He caused one of the largest famines in history, killing more than a million people. He instated labor camps where people were literally worked to death, and executed more than twenty thousand peasants as part of a draconian crackdown on suspected farm theft.

Stalin also brought the USSR back from the brink of collapse. He rebuilt a country that had been shattered in the war, restoring the economy from ~15% of pre-war production. He industrialized the country at an astonishing speed (largely thanks to the Gulag, one of his most despicable policies). Had Stalin not rebuilt Russia prior to WW2, Hitler may well have won the war on the Eastern Front quickly, as he had planned. Instead, Hitler suffered a costly defeat. Without Stalin, the Nazis may well have won the war.

Stalin killed millions. Stalin saved millions and helped the Allies win WW2. I'm not saying he should be praised (by all means, continue condemning him). He's just not quite the abhorrent monster he's made out to be by most history textbooks. Stalin had the good of the people in mind, just not the good of individual people. Can't say that about Hitler.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]. Stalin had the good of the people in mind, just not the good of individual people. Can't say that about Hitler.[/citation]

If I endorsed your logic, which I don't, then Hitler also had the good of the people in mind. Yes only the white German people who weren't Jewish or Homosexual, but certainly "the people." The only difference between him and Stalin was that Hitler lost the war.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Apple's arrogance is amazing and magical...... and laughable. At this rate, it may not be cool for much longer. The majority of people have recognized Apple for what they are. Remember that Blackberry, Myspace, Atari, and leg warmers used to be cool.

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]If Apple was a man, his name would be Lenin...[/citation]

Actually it'd be Steve Jobs, the guy who arguably defined apple. Not "Lenin" A.K.A America's favourite propaganda object that has ceased to have any relevance for the past 21 years.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Apple removes all map apps so their iPhones only include their own maps app and no one says anything. MS includes IE with Windows and it's monopolistic

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]I imagine Apple would like Maps app to develop into a pre-eminent service. Any distraction away from that will delay and dilute their objective.[/citation]
What you're describing is an anti-competitive maneuver.
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]There may also be licensing issues.[/citation]What type of licensing issues? Or are you only throwing stuff into the air just to give an excuse?

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]robmif76[/nom]If Microsoft was fined loads for packaging IE and Media Player with Windows, despite leaving you the option to use alternatives, why wouldn't Apple be fined in the same way or more?[/citation]
Because all the politicians have iPhones? Apple make MS look like saints. I am a Linux fan but I too really hope the Win8 Phone is a success. It would good for us all.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Like someone previously stated, Apple is a god send. If Apple didn't exist, Microsoft would be the big company. They would overcharge on everything, including their phones. They would take their time releasing products, things would just be more shitty. Thanks to Apple existing and pushing for 1st all the time it forces other companies to step it up as well which in the end benefits us. I personally don't use macs, I build PC's and occasionally game, so I go with Windows. But I do use an iPhone and an iPad for College. Apple pisses me off a lot with their patents and banning products (doesn't affect me in Canada, but I feel for y'all in the US) which in the end just hurts customers.

Are we all 100% confident that this man had the legal rights to release a google maps app using googles stuff? Maybe if google officially released a maps app it wouldn't be removed.

We'll see soon enough.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Because people consider Apple a threat to competition. Why? I have no idea[/citation]
Obviously, you've been living under a rock.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Stalin gets an unfairly reductionist view of his reign. .....[/citation]
you would think differently if you were from one of the ex-USSR countries, or even from one of the Warsaw-pact countries that were heavily influenced by USSR.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]you would think differently if you were from one of the ex-USSR countries, or even from one of the Warsaw-pact countries that were heavily influenced by USSR.[/citation]

Love how you ignore the rest of Willard's post....

G

Is it just me, or the history discussion is much more interesting than yet another 'how good/bad Apple is' discussion?

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Stalin gets an unfairly reductionist view of his reign. Yes, he did some truly heinous things that rival Hitler in their atrocity (Ukrainian genocide, anyone?). He caused one of the largest famines in history, killing more than a million people....[/citation]

Winston Churchill killed more with the mess he helped create in India. Look up The Great Indian Famine 1943-44 - 4 million died.

The victors are always the true revisionists as they get to write history.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]If Apple was a man, his name would be Lenin...[/citation]
Steve jobs, Kim jong il, Both Dead, both sleeping with each other.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
"it's cool, don't use apple maps, it just costs us money anyways, oh and not anyone that might cost us money too, oh and not one that works, and not one that has features we don't"

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Lenin was actually the good communist,If Apple was a man, he would be Hitler.....or Vlad Dracule.....yea, the later seems more fitting[/citation]

Lenin was not a good man nor a "good communist" as he was only for one party that was democratic or republic in any shape or form. Had he been shot before entering Russia perhaps 90million people wouldn't have lost theirs lives because of his actions. Hitler and Stalin are excrement and shouldn't have been tolerated as long as they had.

Lenin once referred to the intellectuals of Russia as the "excrement of the nation".

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Apple really must not want their customers to find their way around...[/citation]
Appeal knows well that their costumers prefer fallow blindly ;) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.