Apple Replacing Early iPod Nanos Due to Battery Overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back. See images on this web page.
lol...Apple's got it's act together...it knows its 1st gen iPeople would need help with that... :p

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It took Apple *this* long to fess-up to this mistake? What about all of the people in the past that Apple refused to admit a manufacturing fault, or would only agree to an exchange if the customer stayed silent on the matter? One of my friends actually had one of those things explode on her just after she took it out of her pocket few years ago - I don't recall which Apple device it was, or if she ever got it replaced.

G

just remembered when people satart caomplaining abot battery heat issues and they say noting wrong with it blaming the owner of misuse and what not....
wonder how many of those are still aliva and working(the ipods not the owners),well the owners too has been awhile .........

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I had one but it broke several months ago, so I decided to disassemble it out of curiosity. Probably could've had it replaced . . . damn.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
How often do you see a consumer electronics company offer to replace 6 year old devices. They must be assuming that the people still using this gen iPods are very few.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Phase 1: Buy old iPod Nano on ebay
Phase 2: Send it to Apple
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Profit

I'd rather have a 3rd generation iPod shuffle though.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Wait until most people have given up or gotten rid of broken ipod, THEN offer to replace it because of a flaw from 6 years ago.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Took them that long to acknowledge the faulty battery? LOL I knew this for a long time since i was a young teen. Im glad I dont support such crummy company.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]Wait until most people have given up or gotten rid of broken ipod, THEN offer to replace it because of a flaw from 6 years ago.[/citation]

Ah, that typical Apple class. LOL So true.

The greed and pettiness of lord Jobs lives on.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
love how everyone is like way Apple is dick's for replacing these old nano's. They shoulda done it soooner.

Haters gonna hate I guess. How many tech companies would even consider replacing their 6 year old tech for free ??? name one please? then describe to me how this is bad for the consumer.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]love how everyone is like way Apple is dick's for replacing these old nano's. They shoulda done it soooner.Haters gonna hate I guess. How many tech companies would even consider replacing their 6 year old tech for free ??? name one please? then describe to me how this is bad for the consumer.[/citation]
how many company release and charge a high price to children for having a hand grenade on their hands??

G

I'm so happy they announced this, my first gen nano was gathering dust somewhere in a cabinet because way back when its battery life was hardly 2 hours and so I gave up on it. And now I can wipe that dust off and get a new one. It only took them 5-6 years to finally realize what I knew forever. Still good that they recognized this flaw no matter how long it took them to fess up.

G

What will the replacement be? are we thinking new nano? Thats the real question. This is great! WIN

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah i'm thinking this is awesome. My wife and i both have first gen nanos. She's been campaigning for a new one so i'm hoping we both fall in the problem batch and get current gen replacements :D Mine currently has a battery life of about one song so i've stopped using it except in the car. Even if replacement is some old 1st gen they've got in a warehouse somewhere i'm still happy with that. Really the worst case scenario in my eyes is if neither of our ipods are eligible for explosion.

G

It's not really free. After getting my serial number validated, Apple sent me an email with the following fine print:

"Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee, including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service. If Apple determines, while inspecting your product, that service is needed due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the diagnostic fee plus applicable sales tax. "

Thus if your ipod nano does not exhibit signs of overheating, Apple will charge you a service fee of around $100. Not worth the gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.