Apple Reveals Cloud-to-iPhone Music Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
lol this means what? u pay for the music... now u have to pay again to have it stored? now i see there evil scheme to not having microSD's or other external media or connections... another way to milk the consumer to what they should have a choice to

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
btw i expect google to come out with something that will be free... considering they could using there existing tech and have this added feature in the next android release... i mean u pay for the music, u pay for the Internet connection now u have to pay for the virtual space? granted microSD costs far less then the service but I bet u can buy your whole family enough microSD cards that will last a lot longer then the 1 year subscription

lets not forget phone service is not this magical always on no matter were you are kind of deal, so having poor reception will not fly well... oh and how nice for the phone companies to be getting rid of unlimited data plans... wow this works out so well for everyone BUT the consumer...

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This feature is more than a month old. Nothing new here. Drutort, this feature allows you to store your music in the Cloud, and then play it back from anywhere. Anywhere you have an internet connection, you can stream music from your collection. From a hotel room, a friend's house, your mobile phone, etc. My music collection is over 200 GB. I can't store the whole thing on my phone, and it's not practical to carry a 200 GB hard drive every where I go. This is a solution to that.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
MobileMe is an Internet service from Apple, automatically syncs your email, contacts, and calendar to your iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, and PC, also you can storage photos, music and video. All they are saying is that now you can stream to your iphone. so if you are like me, that feels that $99 is to much then get a the 32gb and store your music with you and not in a cloud. so its not like you have no choice.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
100 dollars for storage, backup, and streaming music? I can VPN to my home computer and have access to a 2TB drive and it costs nothing.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Again all the Apple haters (re: idiots) are out in full force. And clearly you read the first paragraph and then started spewing the usual crap.

Did you all miss the point about the sharing being unlimited? And not requiring a password? Apple is challenging the record companies, who are trying to control music with an iron fist.

People think Apple is bad? There's no worse group of people than the people who work at the record companies. Suing little old ladies for downloading music?

And yet your hatred for Apple is so strong you completely miss it when they are tackling those same record companies where the end result could be a huge victory for the rights of consumers to do what they want with their music.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]My music collection is over 200 GB. I can't store the whole thing on my phone, and it's not practical to carry a 200 GB hard drive every where I go. This is a solution to that.[/citation]
Sorry, but that makes you an asshole. There's no way you're going to tell me you payed for that much music, which means you're a pirate and a thief.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
too much money for a limited small storage space, even if it's shared. Rip-off for sure. Apple does not care about your convenience, only cares about filling their pockets with your money. It may seem that they are after the record companies, but that's not so, because u have to have an account to access your collection, which means u can use it from one device at a time.
If there is no username/password, how can one access their own account? The whole concept is misguiding.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Sorry, but that makes you an asshole. There's no way you're going to tell me you payed for that much music, which means you're a pirate and a thief.[/citation]
Sorry, but your comment makes you an even larger ass hole. I have over 500 CD's. Physical music CD's that I purchased over the past 15 years. I store them all in Apple Lossless format - (I don't use lossy formats like MP3 or AAC). That makes you a dumbass, and a retard.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Sorry, but your comment makes you an even larger ass hole. I have over 500 CD's. Physical music CD's that I purchased over the past 15 years. I store them all in Apple Lossless format - (I don't use lossy formats like MP3 or AAC). That makes you a dumbass, and a retard.[/citation]

Yeah you're going to need a hell of a lot more than 500 CD's to fill up a 200GB hard drive. Let's just cut the bullshit here. You don't own all the music on your HDD.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
u know its very interesting it doesnt say what kind of DRM is required, which im 100% sure that it must be, in fact im willing to bet its probably very limited in the fact that it probably can only be from your current or purchased itunes... besides the ridiculous price tag there are many hidden things that are not told in this article. Like another user pointed out, how can u have a service without password? its still going to have some kind of ID one way or another, how this so much better?

when u can have a number of online storage services for a fraction of the cost... i think u can even get a website that is far cheaper then this and set it up for yourself or your family. (just an example)

besides any cloud computing service will by my guess be far cheaper then this without restrictions or any special locked into to any device/service

if the price was reasonable i would say this is great for the majority of the people but its a real ripoff

I personally would think a flex system would be far better and charge based usage and not storage, at least that would cater to family's a lot better. Of course this would have to be per GB or so.

and to the guy... (200*1024)/(500*15) = 27mb per song? (assuming i didnt mess up) what kind of format do you use then? thats being generous that each cd has an avg of 15 songs even at 12 songs on avg thats 34mb LOL at least give some more realistic numbers next time

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]There's no way you're going to tell me you payed for that much music, which means you're a pirate and a thief.[/citation]

Why do you care where he gets his music, aside from the fact that it gives you something to whine about?

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]drutort[/nom]and to the guy... (200*1024)/(500*15) = 27mb per song? (assuming i didnt mess up) what kind of format do you use then? thats being generous that each cd has an avg of 15 songs even at 12 songs on avg thats 34mb LOL at least give some more realistic numbers next time[/citation]
I assume I'm "that guy"? Read my post again, I told you exactly what format I use. Apple Lossless. Each album takes about 300 to 350 MB of disk space. Yes, most songs take about 30 MB *each* of disk space. This is no different from any of the other lossless formats, such as FLAC. Do a little research next time.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
data:
500 CD, Apple lossless compression
simple google searches:
- a CD may contain 700 MB
- compression ratio of Apple lossless => 60%
500 (CDs) x 700 (MB/CD) x 60% (Apple lossless compression ratio) = 210 GB (even if the CDs aren't full and the compression algorithm may performs a little better 200 GB are plausible).

People that can't do simple maths, don't know a bit of consumer electronics and can't use google shouldn't LOL to other ppl on this website.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
There is ONE huge drawback that i have just come up against with all this, in the UK at least. When i got my iphone 3Gs 32GB it came with an unlimited data usage plan on pay and go (not contract)
I stream music to my phone wherever i go off my own server. This generally is through 3G and not WiFi as i can never seem to get any WiFi hotspots when i am on the move or driving etc. Now the carriers in the UK have pulled unlimited data plans to all there different plans. You are now limited to 500Mb. I got a warning after day6 of my next month saying that i am over the 450Mb and close to my 500Mb limit with over 3 weeks before my next month.
I think for the streaming of anyone, including apple, to work properly the providers need to seriously consider the fact that this uses a lot of data on the network.
Seriously Flawed otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.