Apple Reveals iPhone 4S for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Yay, the cat's out of the bag, FINALLY. Now the world can continue to turn. Hopefully this is the last bit of Apple news for a while, of course that's probably just me being naive.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]To whomever downvoted this clever fellow, he's actually correct. The statement "To deal with all this added power, Apple has increased the battery life", actually does, indeed, make no sense.Why? Because dual core ARM SOCs are more power efficient then the single core ones were due to architecture and fabrication improvements.[/citation]

You are incorrect. Not in your conclusion, but in your logic.

'To deal with all this added power, Apple has increased the battery life' doesn't make sense because it SHOULD say Apple has increased the battery capacity, resulting in increased battery life.

The reason you're incorrect is that, even setting aside the fact that the A4 was a custom implementation of an ARM chip, with a Power VR SGX 535 processor, it was heavily downclocked, in both the iPhone 4 (estimates between 800-900 mhz) and the iPad 2 (in the form of a dynamic clock speed - estimated to idle at 900 mhz). Many discussions around the reason for the custom implementation centred around ensuring low power consumption in the A4. Steve Jobs himself explained in the iPad 2 introduction that the A5 process had the same power envelope as the A4. Add to all of the above that we don't know what clock speed the A5 is running in the iPhone 4S, and you can't make any claims whatsoever about decreased power consumption.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Martin9630[/nom]Now all the iSheep wil be like "OMG, Apple is the first company to use dual-core in their phones."[/citation]

That just isn't true. What most will probably point to, though, is that the CPU / GPU combination in the iPhone 4S is (in my understanding) the fastest available in any phone currently.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So no refresh of the antenna?...You are STILL holding it wrong[/citation]

They obviously found a way to make it work without changing the fundamental design. This shows that the hardware design is fine (unless the same non-issues persist which I very much doubt), and proves that having an antenna as an external surface does not necessarily mean any kind of problems with signal.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]people retina is a screen technology NOT a screen type, the Galaxy S II screen is a retina screen also![/citation]

'Sharpness
The iPhone 4 hits back in the sharpness stakes with its significantly sharper screen. While the Galaxy S 2 makes up for the perceived blurriness of the original thanks to a switch from a PenTile matrix to a more regular RGB one (which results in 50 percent more sub-pixels and a sharper picture), it still doesn’t come close to the Retina display.
In fact, the iPhone 4 packs in 50 per cent more pixels per inch (ppi) than its newer, bigger, more powerful rival. It’s an impressive advantage to hold and bodes well for the forthcoming iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S 2 rivalry.'

http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2011/05/17/galaxy-s-2-super-amoled-plus-vs-iphone-4-retina-display/

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]When did that happen? Are you talking about when they released the new version of IOS that had higher hardware requirements and caused older phones to be a bit slower. Does that not happen on every game ever developed? At least they released updated versions that resolved the issue with the older devices.[/citation]
No he's talking when Apple launched the iOS 4 for the 3G and turned it to a brick. My wife had a 3G and when the phone was updated to iOS 4 she couldn't even answer phone calls, and to make matters worse Apple took it's sweet time to fix the issue.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
A switch from the A4 to the A5, a marginally better camera, and conversion to WorldPhone support? I'm just seeing this as a mild, incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. Naming it the "4S" makes a lot more sense than "5" in that respect as well, as well as reserving the ability to make an "iPhone 4G/4GS" when they finally put in LTE support.

At least they thought to add a backup antenna for when the poorly-designed primary antenna gets shorted out. I'd have hoped that they'd have re-worked the design, but perhaps they backed themselves into a corner too much here: a lot of the problems with the iPhone 4, including both its signal reliability and physical durability, would've been easily solved had they been willing to make the phone a bit bigger. (which is the last thing Apple would do to a design)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]A switch from the A4 to the A5, a marginally better camera, and conversion to WorldPhone support? I'm just seeing this as a mild, incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. Naming it the "4S" makes a lot more sense than "5" in that respect as well, as well as reserving the ability to make an "iPhone 4G/4GS" when they finally put in LTE support.At least they thought to add a backup antenna for when the poorly-designed primary antenna gets shorted out. I'd have hoped that they'd have re-worked the design, but perhaps they backed themselves into a corner too much here: a lot of the problems with the iPhone 4, including both its signal reliability and physical durability, would've been easily solved had they been willing to make the phone a bit bigger. (which is the last thing Apple would do to a design)[/citation]

I agree that it's only an incremental update - I expected maybe a 4" screen and a newer design. 4S definitely makes sense.

Regarding LTE - didn't they show network data figures as fast as LTE? Which will also work anywhere in the world, including countries who haven't implemented it yet.

They didn't add a 'backup antenna' - they used exactly the same antenna design (so obviously it works) but split it into two, allowing them to use one for download, one for upload, or either for both, whichever is fastest.

With regard to signal reliability and physical durability, I have an iPhone 4 (I dont plan on upgrading to 4S), and I've never had any issues with the signal - I have also not damaged it at all

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]That just isn't true. What most will probably point to, though, is that the CPU / GPU combination in the iPhone 4S is (in my understanding) the fastest available in any phone currently.[/citation]
First of all define your definition of "fastest" and if you mean more powerful/able to process and do more calculations/triangles then your absolutely wrong. the CPU and GPU on this SoC is little above mediocre from what is available.

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'SharpnessThe iPhone 4 hits back in the sharpness stakes with its significantly sharper screen. While the Galaxy S 2 makes up for the perceived blurriness of the original thanks to a switch from a PenTile matrix to a more regular RGB one (which results in 50 percent more sub-pixels and a sharper picture), it still doesn’t come close to the Retina display.In fact, the iPhone 4 packs in 50 per cent more pixels per inch (ppi) than its newer, bigger, more powerful rival. It’s an impressive advantage to hold and bodes well for the forthcoming iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S 2 rivalry.'http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2011/05/ [...] a-display/[/citation]

Perhaps you need to go see Nexus Prime resolution and your overly important ppi ratio on a much larger screen at that.
http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_samsung_nexus_prime_first_screenshot_leaks-news-3224.php

Apple is late to the party and this is what they get for manufacturing abosultely no hardware...if they have no good suppliers they are left with crap. This phone tech is mediocre at best at overly inflated prices; we all know it so why drink the kOoL aid?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]First of all define your definition of "fastest" and if you mean more powerful/able to process and do more calculations/triangles then your absolutely wrong. the CPU and GPU on this SoC is little above mediocre from what is available.Perhaps you need to go see Nexus Prime resolution and your overly important ppi ratio on a much larger screen at that.http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_ [...] s-3224.phpApple is late to the party and this is what they get for manufacturing abosultely no hardware...if they have no good suppliers they are left with crap. This phone tech is mediocre at best at overly inflated prices; we all know it so why drink the kOoL aid?[/citation]
You should do a little research.. When the iPhone4S goes on sale the PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU it has will be the fastest GPU chip you can buy in a phone.. It is currently the fastest GPU you can buy in a tablet and all benchmarks, including those here on Toms, prove this.. Right now the fastest GPU in a phone is a toss up between phones using the Mali-400 MP, Tegra2, or SGX540 hardware... Since you somehow dont believe the numbers, its obviously you thats been drinking the koolaid..

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]First of all define your definition of "fastest" and if you mean more powerful/able to process and do more calculations/triangles then your absolutely wrong. the CPU and GPU on this SoC is little above mediocre from what is available.Perhaps you need to go see Nexus Prime resolution and your overly important ppi ratio on a much larger screen at that.http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_ [...] s-3224.phpApple is late to the party and this is what they get for manufacturing abosultely no hardware...if they have no good suppliers they are left with crap. This phone tech is mediocre at best at overly inflated prices; we all know it so why drink the kOoL aid?[/citation]

As blackened said - it is not 'mediocre' if it's the fastest currently available, now is it?

Secondly, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime? Nobody was talking about that. Somebody said the Galaxy S2 had a retina screen, I corrected them. At least try to stay relevant?

Finally, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime anyway - it isn't even out yet, and it has a PPI which is lower than the iPhone 4 (320 vs 326), released 18 months ago? That smacks of desperation, really, if you try to demean a product using products which haven't even been released yet, kinda shows that you know there aren't any current alternatives. And what's more, it has a lower PPI anyway!

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]As blackened said - it is not 'mediocre' if it's the fastest currently available, now is it?Secondly, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime? Nobody was talking about that. Somebody said the Galaxy S2 had a retina screen, I corrected them. At least try to stay relevant?Finally, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime anyway - it isn't even out yet, and it has a PPI which is lower than the iPhone 4 (320 vs 326), released 18 months ago? That smacks of desperation, really, if you try to demean a product using products which haven't even been released yet, kinda shows that you know there aren't any current alternatives. And what's more, it has a lower PPI anyway![/citation]

It does show that all of the really good things in Apple devices are made by Samsung. k-thnks-bye-bye

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]You should do a little research.. When the iPhone4S goes on sale the PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU it has will be the fastest GPU chip you can buy in a phone.. It is currently the fastest GPU you can buy in a tablet and all benchmarks, including those here on Toms, prove this.. Right now the fastest GPU in a phone is a toss up between phones using the Mali-400 MP, Tegra2, or SGX540 hardware... Since you somehow dont believe the numbers, its obviously you thats been drinking the koolaid..[/citation]
For people with difficulties understanding GPU "&" GPU that means both -as in combo as in together; do you understand now or should I start spelling it out. I will stand with my point, they are NOT the most powerful combo and even YOU said its a toss up with a GPUs that came out in the BEGINING OF THIS YEAR... the ignorance and fanboy-ism in both yours and watcha comments is limitless.

Infact since you are so concerned with beating chips form 3 quarters ago maybe you should see 2 or 3 most recent re-tests they all show that SGX540 is not "THE BEST" so either put up concrete evidence from multiple sources or shut up.

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]As blackened said - it is not 'mediocre' if it's the fastest currently available, now is it?Secondly, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime? Nobody was talking about that. Somebody said the Galaxy S2 had a retina screen, I corrected them. At least try to stay relevant?Finally, why did you bring up the Nexus Prime anyway - it isn't even out yet, and it has a PPI which is lower than the iPhone 4 (320 vs 326), released 18 months ago? That smacks of desperation, really, if you try to demean a product using products which haven't even been released yet, kinda shows that you know there aren't any current alternatives. And what's more, it has a lower PPI anyway![/citation]
NO, current selection(test samples and such) available to purchasers like apple is much more than you think but you it does take months to develop everything in a package and sell it and apple is continiously the slowest to test things since the damn case was barely even redesigned.

The point being is Nexus Prime is primeiring next week... and having that high of ppi is VERY impressive on a screen that is damn near 1/3 bigger by area than 4s, not to mention it is AMOLED at that. But we will see it might be the same hyped-up fail like this 4s.

No I drink no KoOl aid- I HAVE a ip4, captivate and euro sgs II and I will buy whatever is worth buying but I'm not a goddamn fool to see a simple rehash at a premium price of a completely re-made phone. This is all about price/value(features,performance) and 4s fails in that.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
The stupidty out there is just amazing. To the android "gear head" crowd innovation is thought only to be "Hardware". Missing that the real GROUNDBREAKING innovation that Apple has brought us is Siri. This is HAL or the Star Trek computer where you talk to your computer and it talks back. This will be the dawn of yet another new and natural way we interact natually with our "computer". Apple has done it again. It will take a while before the gearheads get a clue on what just happened.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]The stupidty out there is just amazing. To the android "gear head" crowd innovation is thought only to be "Hardware". Missing that the real GROUNDBREAKING innovation that Apple has brought us is Siri. This is HAL or the Star Trek computer where you talk to your computer and it talks back. This will be the dawn of yet another new and natural way we interact natually with our "computer". Apple has done it again. It will take a while before the gearheads get a clue on what just happened.[/citation]

There is nothing "innovating" about it. Every Android device already can do this and has been doing this for a while.Even Blackberry has voice recognition.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]istank[/nom]It does show that all of the really good things in Apple devices are made by Samsung. k-thnks-bye-bye[/citation]

Why would the fact that there are manufacturers of 'real good things in Apple devices' be a bad thing? Did you think they floated out of the sky?

'K thx bye'

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]For people with difficulties understanding GPU "&" GPU that means both -as in combo as in together; do you understand now or should I start spelling it out. I will stand with my point, they are NOT the most powerful combo and even YOU said its a toss up with a GPUs that came out in the BEGINING OF THIS YEAR... the ignorance and fanboy-ism in both yours and watcha comments is limitless.Infact since you are so concerned with beating chips form 3 quarters ago maybe you should see 2 or 3 most recent re-tests they all show that SGX540 is not "THE BEST" so either put up concrete evidence from multiple sources or shut up.NO, current selection(test samples and such) available to purchasers like apple is much more than you think but you it does take months to develop everything in a package and sell it and apple is continiously the slowest to test things since the damn case was barely even redesigned. The point being is Nexus Prime is primeiring next week... and having that high of ppi is VERY impressive on a screen that is damn near 1/3 bigger by area than 4s, not to mention it is AMOLED at that. But we will see it might be the same hyped-up fail like this 4s.No I drink no KoOl aid- I HAVE a ip4, captivate and euro sgs II and I will buy whatever is worth buying but I'm not a goddamn fool to see a simple rehash at a premium price of a completely re-made phone. This is all about price/value(features,performance) and 4s fails in that.[/citation]

I think the whole point is that the combination of CPU and GPU right now, in the iPhone 4S, is faster than any other combination. If you disagree, give an example, with source data.

There is nothing else available right now which has the same combined performance. There is nothing fan-boyish about me, I am disappointed with the iPhone 4S and wont be buying it, but that doesn't blind me to reality... I'm always open to any phones from any manufacturers. You're the one being blinded by a pathetic apple hatred to the point that you're denying the reality that it is the fastest cpu/gpu comvo available now.

The SGX540 is not the best, nobody said it was - it WAS the equivalent of the best, and is found in the Samsung EPIC etc - and at that time that was the fastest GPU you could get in an Android phone.

But the iPhone 4S doesn't have the 540, it has the faster PowerVR SGX 543MP2. And that's the point you miss. And that IS the fastest you can get.

Please refer to:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3891/samsung-epic-4g-review-the-fastest-android-phone/5
and
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/imagination-technologies-powervr-sgx543mp2-really-is-faster-be/
and
http://www.tested.com/news/is-this-high-performance-powervr-gpu-inside-the-ipad-2/1941/

'Check out the video for yourself--the new GPU obviously runs smooth as butter compared to the SGX540'

The Nexus Prime may well be a great phone, but a) it's not out yet and b) it still has a lower PPI than the 18 month old iPhone 4. If that were the other way around you would all be crying how long it's taken them to 'catch up'. And of course PPI isn't everything, but PPI is what was being discussed (ie the retina screen).

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I think the whole point is that the combination of CPU and GPU right now, in the iPhone 4S, is faster than any other combination. If you disagree, give an example, with source data.There is nothing else available right now which has the same combined performance. There is nothing fan-boyish about me, I am disappointed with the iPhone 4S and wont be buying it, but that doesn't blind me to reality... I'm always open to any phones from any manufacturers. You're the one being blinded by a pathetic apple hatred to the point that you're denying the reality that it is the fastest cpu/gpu comvo available now.The SGX540 is not the best, nobody said it was - it WAS the equivalent of the best, and is found in the Samsung EPIC etc - and at that time that was the fastest GPU you could get in an Android phone. But the iPhone 4S doesn't have the 540, it has the faster PowerVR SGX 543MP2. And that's the point you miss. And that IS the fastest you can get. Please refer to:http://www.anandtech.com/show/3891 [...] id-phone/5and http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03 [...] faster-be/andhttp://www.tested.com/news/is-this [...] ad-2/1941/'Check out the video for yourself--the new GPU obviously runs smooth as butter compared to the SGX540'The Nexus Prime may well be a great phone, but a) it's not out yet and b) it still has a lower PPI than the 18 month old iPhone 4. If that were the other way around you would all be crying how long it's taken them to 'catch up'. And of course PPI isn't everything, but PPI is what was being discussed (ie the retina screen).[/citation]

Im not comparing ip4s with galaxy s I am comparing galaxy s II to 4s...the galaxy s II came out in the begining of the year...we are now in quarter 4 of the year ... you following? How in your right mind do you think the same CPU(ARM cortex A9) in 4s(@1GHz) is better than 1.2GHz(even though its out even in 1.4 GHz flavor now) in Galaxy S 2? Where is your logic?

And as for GPU both the Mali-400mp and PowerVR SGX543MP2 are toss up...so where is your superior hardware? And keep in mind 4s is behind by 3/4 of a YEAR!

And as far as nexus prime... I will say it once again the damn screen is ~4.6inhces...a lot of difference between 3.5" and 4.6" with ppi as close as it is size is a huge factor and once again it is AMOLED - huge difference and advance in tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.