Apple Starts Selling iPhones Off-Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

esupan

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Considering the prices for 8GB, 16Gb, and 32GB flash drives are $30, $50, and $90 (on the high end of pricing), respectively, it would only seem fitting for apple to charge 2-5x as much going, from one capacity to the next, for the memory to come with their phones.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
still expensive being in the market more then a year.
And ATT should drop their policy "if you have an iphone you have to have data plan" Let's see when Apple will bring their updated iphone

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm pretty frickin happy with my fairly open (OS-wise) Nokia 5800 Nav Edition for $250 that works with any GSM network in the whole world, thank you very much.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Shanky,

You can get SD memory for cheap but it comes at the cost of slow performance. In the case of the link you provided, the card is only rated as Class 2 which has a transfer speed around 2 MBytes/sec. Also, that is a 16 GB micro SD card and not a 32 GB one. The 32 GB ones just came out yesterday and are crazy expensive (if you can find them).

The prices are crazy for the non-contract versions. You can cancel your AT&T contract for $250. So buy a 16 GB version for $200 and cancel your contract and pay the $250 fee. Even with a month of service ($70) it is still $80 cheaper than buying the non-contract 16 GB or 32 GB version...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
As someone who is perfectly happy with my 2 year old iPhone, you would have to be crazy to buy an iPhone now.. Other than making it faster, the 3GS has nothing that makes it stand apart from the 3G, which, other than the 3G radio, is the same as the original iPhone.. The new one coming out this summer better be something new, or I'll be upgrading to an HTC phone running Android.. Windows Phone 7 is not looking to hot right now..

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
3GS has video too which I would use a lot. And a better nav/map/compass. Which I use often also. That said, I'm waiting for the next gen before getting rid of my 3G.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]As someone who is perfectly happy with my 2 year old iPhone, you would have to be crazy to buy an iPhone now.. Other than making it faster, the 3GS has nothing that makes it stand apart from the 3G, which, other than the 3G radio, is the same as the original iPhone.. The new one coming out this summer better be something new, or I'll be upgrading to an HTC phone running Android.. Windows Phone 7 is not looking to hot right now..[/citation]

+1 : I want to be able to seamlessly surf the internet. I have a 16gb 3g and it's nice and all, but I want to be able to goto hulu.com and watch whatever I want.

The 3gs is faster though. I tried my wifes 3gs side by side against my 3g and everything is faster on her 3gs.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
hmm i wonder what apple would do if they did the same thing in canada? where all wireless carriers have the i[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]As someone who is perfectly happy with my 2 year old iPhone, you would have to be crazy to buy an iPhone now.. Other than making it faster, the 3GS has nothing that makes it stand apart from the 3G, which, other than the 3G radio, is the same as the original iPhone.. The new one coming out this summer better be something new, or I'll be upgrading to an HTC phone running Android.. Windows Phone 7 is not looking to hot right now..[/citation]
phone.

yea i too am done with winmo phones.

G

You've been able to buy the iPhone 3GS 16GB, locked to O2 in the UK, without contract (pay as you go) for about 450GBP for a while now. It includes unlimited data for one year after that they charge 10GBP/month. However, you can also buy them unlocked/sim free for circa 700-800GBP!

I thought about it long and hard and bought an unlocked HTC Hero for 340GBP and am spending a pitance on Three's pay as you go service. And very glad I did too!

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It appears they're indirectly supporting unlocking them by saying were going to sell it to you locked, but if your going to unlock the it, were not going to stop you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS