Apple Sued for Turning iPhone 3G's Into iBricks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Also: Doesnt anyone else find the timing of this suspicious in that the 3G units were at the tail end of their 2 year contracts when they forced that OS upon people knowing it would slow the phones to a crawl.

"You could use your upgrade discount on an iPhone 4, sir"

Sometimes I would like to stugg my nuts in Steve Jobs mouth and ask
"HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?!?!?"

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Not having the ability to down grade is complete rubish.....so much for them getting you up and running again in no time. Where are all the Apple fanboys to defend this awesome apple feature?

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
crapple's solution is to release a new product, break the old and simply tell users that they are doing it wrong and need to upgrade.

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
Isn't this the same with most software? I mean if upgrading [App] to the latest version somehow brings your system to a crawl, you can't just ask [Publisher] to send you an older version; It would be officially obsolete hence you'd have to resort to 'hacker' methods (i.e. torrents, etc).

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]you need to compare Apples to Androids....oh wait...bad pun[/citation]

Fixed.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
no downgrade, this is why the apple $ony venture should be approved. That way we have only one big DRM stuffing firmware freaky company that doesn't care about customers(other than their wallet).

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]While its not widely know Apple does in fact allow users to downgrade. All you need to do is download the ipsw file for whatever iOS version you want. In order to install it, just hold down SHIFT while you click "Restore" in iTunes and point it to the ipsw. The only tricky part to doing it all "officially" is finding the ipsw from Apple directly, but I found this post below that has a link to every version of every ipsw file through 3.1.3 hosted by Apple.http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-917285.html[/citation]
Just for once, one single time, all you silly pirate kids actually got hold of something that could actually be called a real issue, rather than just contrieved and imagined in the minds of monkeys who know absolutely nothing about any Apple product. Still, there actually appears to be a solution, as blackened144 points out.

G

They don't even have to do that: LiIon batteries performance decrease 20% per year. So after a few years your phone has so little autonomy that it's useless. And thx to apple, you can't change them.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]iugboihuboi[/nom]They don't even have to do that: LiIon batteries performance decrease 20% per year. So after a few years your phone has so little autonomy that it's useless. And thx to apple, you can't change them.[/citation]
Typical.
Typical Apple-hater comment post on THW from a typical poster. It's not even on topic. Why do you bother to post anything at all, when you don't know anything at all? Why flaunt your ignorance?
- Of course you can change the batteries!
Apple batteries last longer than most, so this is not a huge problem since the phone will be somewhat old when it's time. Still: there are two ways. 1- Let Apple change the battery for you. Very easy, but let me guess - unacceptable to little pirate boys who think it's their right to get everything for free. (when you start working one day, please remind your customers they don't have to pay you anything, because you believe in a world of "free", whatever.) 2 - Change it yourself, using instructions and battery sources available. It voids the warranty, of course. I have a hard time seeing that as a problem on an old phone.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
What is wrong with people today. They buy a piece of crap and then scream "foul" when it turns out to be a piece of crap. Stop buying Apple products. They always were, and still are, overpriced junk, and it's not going to change anytime in the future. I stepped over line to idiocy a few ago and bought one of the second generation iPods. Man, it was really cool, it was also one of the biggest pieces of crap I ever owned. It had so many bugs, and now it's sitting in the closet, a paper weight it's self because the batteries are toast. Stupidest, and I mean the stupidest $300 I ever spent in my life.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vermil[/nom]Typical.Typical Apple-hater comment post on THW from a typical poster. It's not even on topic. Why do you bother to post anything at all, when you don't know anything at all? Why flaunt your ignorance?- Of course you can change the batteries!Apple batteries last longer than most, so this is not a huge problem since the phone will be somewhat old when it's time. Still: there are two ways. 1- Let Apple change the battery for you. Very easy, but let me guess - unacceptable to little pirate boys who think it's their right to get everything for free. (when you start working one day, please remind your customers they don't have to pay you anything, because you believe in a world of "free", whatever.) 2 - Change it yourself, using instructions and battery sources available. It voids the warranty, of course. I have a hard time seeing that as a problem on an old phone.[/citation]

Typical.
Typical apple fanboi comment. Can't handle someone making a comment about apple's business practices so you have to attack the guy personally and try to belittle him to make yourself feel superior.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Think 2 to 3 yrs is where a kinda unified understanding of hardware lifecycle kinda ends on a shorter run. Given most release of new hardware that can take significant advantages and be able to say the samething take about that long. Once you include like distrubtion in numbers and investments repaid to some part, any errors in desgn over most uses. etc. Least for most warranties. Even though if you buy parts they can only at most fit within 15months each if you are lucky. unless you buy extended warranties.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]A $700 "paper weight" LOL . Once again, Apple's software restrictions causing problems for users. They'll learn...............eventually.[/citation]

Dont worry, theyll end up at 5% market share soon enough!

niknikktm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Sounds a lot like the Sony Playstation 3. Upgrades that remove functionality. First I lost the ability to play PS2 games (backwards compatability was a featured selling point) with one of their "upgrades", then nearly every "upgrade" after that removed some type of usable feature, ending with a recent "upgrade" that took away the LINUX feature. "Upgrades" that really should be officially labelled "Downgrades".

I refuse to buy another Sony product. I fully understand those that are suggesting 3G users do the same and that's that, but that is NOT all there is to it. There is the money these folks have spent on the product up to this point. An investment has been made on a purchase of a product that had subsequently been rendered nearly unusable. I'd say a refund is in order.

G

I experienced this but upgraded anyway since it worked out that the iPhone 4 would only cost me £10.

Don't get me wrong - I like the iPhone 4 but, admittedly, won't be buying any more Apple products.

I guess I'm tired of being sold 'Premium' products at premium prices when the reality is that they're just as buggy (if not more so) than everything else on the market. I'm only glad the iPhone is the only Apple product I ever bought.

wmtyrance

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
I swear i just don't get these people. This is what Apple has always done. This is how they make money. You want the latest update,buy the new one.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The least she could do now is to see the error in her ways and go out and buy a WP7, BlackBerry or an Android phone.

To go back to the company that royally screwed you over is nothing short of stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.