Apple Sued Over Accelerometer and Bubble Level

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Let's get past our dislike for the usual Apple tactics, and look at the real problem here...of patent trolling.The system should be reformed so any patent would require a commercially viable product to be sold for some determined period of time, to allow the patent to be valid. This would eliminate this type of patent troll companies, at least.[/citation]
I somewhat agree with this in that the patent system should be reformed - even after it was last year.

However, I think this particular solution would favor companies like crApple unfairly over the garage inventor.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That's what happens when you produce more attorneys and less engineers.

What do you call 999 patent attorneys at the bottom of the ocean...?
A lame recycled joke with a lot of truth in it :)

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
To all the Apple haters that seem so interested in every story about "Apple" but claim they could care less. If they successfully sue Apple then every other phone manufacture will be sued as well down the road. What does that mean? More cost to the average consumer, because the cell phone makers are just going to pass it along to us.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I am figuring that someone got tired of Apples patent lawsuits, and actually sought out a patent to acquire just to prove a point.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
How about we just limit all copyright/patents to 5 years. That way people will have a chance to recoup their costs and make a profit but society doesn't get screwed by stifling competition. It still makes sense to allow trademarks to last virtually forever.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Calibrait's focus is on the hardware as well as Apple's "Bubble Level" software that is damaging the company's interests and cause "great" and "irreparable harm".

/facepalm

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ya, i'm not the biggest apple fan, but this is a load of bull. I have an idea lets make a law that says "Parties must have a tangible product at least in early beta, before they can pursue any legal action"

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Let's get past our dislike for the usual Apple tactics, and look at the real problem here...of patent trolling.The system should be reformed so any patent would require a commercially viable product to be sold for some determined period of time, to allow the patent to be valid. This would eliminate this type of patent troll companies, at least.[/citation]

What if an inventer invents something, demos the product to a large company (or someone working for a large company), but could never get the funding for the product?

Then this company (or person) markets a replica of the said product, files a patent, makes millions, and then defend itself in court as "commercially viable?"

G

As prone as I am to see this as Apple reaping what it has sown, I think patent law should at least prohibit companies who lack any manufacturing capabilities to own patents for manufacturing. That would go a long way toward preventing corporations whose sole income stream is patent litigation.

G

The CSIRO borehole camera (referenced in a 1983 paper found by a google search) used accelerometers to do similar things.

Status
Not open for further replies.