Apple Sued over Exploding iPod Touch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balshoy

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Yeah, the line about "He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life" is funny. What a ridiculous statement. I guess when I was little and burned my hand on a hot microwave pizza and got a huge blister, that I should be traumatized by microwaves and pizzas now.[/citation]

The fact that you remember it, shows that there was some mental trauma :p

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I can't see how the sales people at the apple store are at fault. This whole thing is out of order!!!!! People are always looking for a free ride,easy money...

G

That claim makes just about as much sense as saying that every McDonald's employee is guilty for gross recklessness and negligence because a customer burned their tongue on a hot apple pie.

Wow, way to make an analogy there genius. An apple pie is supposed to be hot, and even if the person didn't know that, still when they do get it on their table they'd know it by touching it. But if with all of that the person still got burnt it's his/her fault, and not that of McDonald's. How the heck can you compare that with a poor kid nearly getting his nuts roasted like that? You say that as if exploding pocket devices are as regular as hot apple pies (here's a hint schlomoe; they don't). It's sad to see a consumer oriented tech site felate a big company rather then looking out for the consumers.

And why is this douche Parrish still writing for Tom's anyway?

G

lol a book of matches decided to ignite itself as i reached into my pocket. it burned thru to my leg. my buddy and i were far too busy laughing our a$$es off to even think about any sort of litigious activity! these people need to get a new iPod and move on with their lives.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]If the batteries were the cause of such then I don't see how the lawsuit could be against Apple. However if the ipod is at fault then I can certainly understand the lawsuit and honestly am surprised they aren't asking for much more. As for as the gross recklessness and negligence charges that's just bullshit.[/citation]

You can't be serious. The iPod was manufactured and sold by Apple and the battery is non-removable.

Of course the lawsuit is bullshit. This is America. If you aren't looking for some free money and an easy ride at the expense of self respecting companies you clearly aren't trying hard enough. I pray every night that my laptop battery explodes that way I can sue someone for several million dollars even if the only damage was ruining my dinner table.

bmikulla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Why are they not going after the underwear manufacturer too? Brands like Under Armour have been popularizing "high performance" synthetic clothing like the nylon/spandex underwear this person was wearing. Last year I saw a sign in a sports store for one of the brands saying something like, "cotton is the enemy." I bet the only reason that his burns were as bad as they were was that the nylon melted to his skin, which could have been avoided had he been wearing cotton. Given that the clothing companies have been advertising against natural fibers, and if there was not a warning about the danger posed by melting on the underwear, then a law suit in that direction could make a bit more sense than trying to say that the Apple store employees have any fault in this.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I just wonder how far the burns go on his leg. This did state his a man. I just wonder where exactly he got burnt it might just justify the emotional damages. It did burn his underwear too soo... i just wondering.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Honestly...who turns an iPod touch off? Most people put it on hold which gives a very long battery life, and saves soo much time compared to actually holding it down and turning it off, then booting it up everytime. I bet the kid doesn't even know the definition of on or off for his own iPod. And the kid forgot to mention the warm sensation before the pop when he pissed his pants and short circuited the iPod.

Honestly I carry my iPod in my pocked all day, yesterday for over an hour I was laying/sitting on my iPod, and this article doesn't phase me at all about having done that.

To the parents: Atleast Apple is willing to work for their money

To the kid: Sorry you almost got you balls blown off, but really, suck it up. (2nd degree burn=red and blistery, no permanent damage, 3rd degree means that there was damage done to the lowest levels of the skin, and even muscle damage, a third degree usually requires a skin graph) He only had 2nd degree so he should suck it up, and who DOES where spandex for anything but sports?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I can see a law suit, but come on, criminal charges? That mom is a serious seeyouNT if she does that... Yeah I'm sure it hurts to see your baby in pain, but use some logic!!

G

Nice that the article comments on the seriousness of this and mocks potential jokesters, and finishes up with a burning a hole in his pocket bit!

w4ffles

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
The burns would have been less severe if he didn't wait to take off his pants (or even think about putting out the fire) before getting to the bathroom.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I dropped my nokia hundred of times and never made a spark... :D still working .

iPods are overrated.
Good to hear they suck .. a i mean explode Lol :))))))

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
$225,000? I"m amazed, apple would probably be willing to pay out this amount just to get it off the presses.

Its really not a big of an amount in retrospect. "Mental trauma for the rest of his life?", thats pushing it a bit.

He'll more likely be joking about this one years down the road with his friends rather than suffer from severe apple phobia.

Spider D

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Claims of emotional trauma is used far too often in legal systems. People really do have traumatic life changing experiences, but cases like this devalue the true horror and depth of actual mental scaring. People abuse it as a free ride to easy money. Such greed is loathsome and utterly repulsive.
I think the only valid case for emotional damages in this case, depends on location. The ipod was "deep down in his pocket". If it burned his genitals then he's justified. There's no such thing as a "cool scar" on that area of the body. Also the tissue there can be damaged VERY easily, by even the most minor of scars. That type of damage often does not go away. Ever. That could result in malformed and warped erections (as the damaged tissue won't inflate properly, while the healthy tissue will), and lead to embarrassment and anxiety for the rest of his life.
Honestly, how many of you would accept two or three hundred thousand to let some guy mutilate your pride and joy, by setting fire to it for several minutes while melting molten nylon/spandex all over it?
Bottom line, if the damage is just to his hip and leg, his mom's a b*tch. If the damage was between his legs, then he should be seek much more.
Besides, $225,000 is chump change to Apple.

msubassbone

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
1 what was a student doing with a mp3 player at school as a resident of ky most schools ban them I geuss good thing the teacher didn't take then it blow up o noe the apple bomb
lawsuit = Retirment for mom
If the kid wins the suit it should be put in a trust fund for the kid by the corts where mom can;t get it

catfood32

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
"who wears spandex underwear?"

a kid who's emotionally damaged to begin with. I hope the jury awards him a bullet between the F*cking eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.