Apple Sued Over MagSafe Adapter Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
.....I think I must be missing something here. Do insurance companies do this often? If the Toyotas that had the acceleration issue caused damage, do the insurance companies who had to compensate the damages sue Toyota? Did insurance companies sue Firestone when it failed and damaged cars? Do companies have insurance against being sued over defects? What if their insurance provider is the same as the customer? Do they cancel their coverage and then sue them for the money?

This insurance company must be hurting for cash, IMO.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom].....I think I must be missing something here. Do insurance companies do this often? If the Toyotas that had the acceleration issue caused damage, do the insurance companies who had to compensate the damages sue Toyota? Did insurance companies sue Firestone when it failed and damaged cars? Do companies have insurance against being sued over defects? What if their insurance provider is the same as the customer? Do they cancel their coverage and then sue them for the money?This insurance company must be hurting for cash, IMO.[/citation]
The thing is, the adapter is prone to causing fire. Clearly, the product has a problem but Apple has not acted on it effectively yet. The last line puts it very clearly. It warrants a full-scale recall which is something Apple just would not do. Apple sucks!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom].....I think I must be missing something here. Do insurance companies do this often? If the Toyotas that had the acceleration issue caused damage, do the insurance companies who had to compensate the damages sue Toyota? Did insurance companies sue Firestone when it failed and damaged cars? Do companies have insurance against being sued over defects? What if their insurance provider is the same as the customer? Do they cancel their coverage and then sue them for the money?This insurance company must be hurting for cash, IMO.[/citation]

more liek insurance companies liek to jack your rates then not have to pay our for it... however in this case if it was a known issue the company did not issue a recall for then they will probably win

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

yes virginia, they did sue toyota, yes they sued firestone, yes companies take out insurance on product lines hence why most of the have an underwriters labrotory seal as insruance companies make them get tested before insuring them.
no they don't cancel their insurance policy, and yes they sue them, and every insruance provider has been hurting big time since 9/11 because of 9/11. they are still paying out of the nose to the benefactors of those insurance policies. hence all the rates hikes since then every year.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The reason the insurance company sued is because they paid-out to their customer. If the insurance company had not paid-out, it would be up to the customer to file the suit.

Think about when YOU are hit by another driver in your car (THEY are at fault). YOUR insurance company might handle all the repair bills, rental car, medical bills, etc... But do you think YOUR insurance company is paying out of their own pocket? No way, if the other person is at fault, THEY and THEIR insurance company have to cover the costs. YOUR insurance company is covering everything up front for YOUR convenience while YOUR insurance company then seeks reparations from THEIR insurance company. (emphasis added to aid in following my logic).

In this case, the insurance company covered Apple's goof, now they're going after Apple to pay for it. Apple probably has their own liability insurance for cases like this that will help defer whatever settlement is reached. IANAL, but in this instance, I think the customer has no claims against Apple (they would have had to deny insurance payout and go after Apple directly). Not that Apple is known for big settlements (Phone Exploded? Here's a free song off iTunes), but whatever settlement is reached now goes straight to the insurance company. Though I suppose you could always sue for emotional harm.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

Considering there were only something like 50-60 accidents attributed to the Toyota acceleration issue, all of which were later determined to be driver error I don't think the insurance companies incurred much cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2010_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
so... how many fails is it now? antenna, charger, screen, real time clock/alarm, overpricing,... my list of arguments is growing steadily!

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
The magsafe connector is amazing. It has saved my laptop dozens of times. Just like anything else. If the people who buy it use it improperly or neglect and damage the connector then its their fault.

I'm so sick and tired of people suing over "design defects". One plug was screwy, so what? There are millions of other plugs that are working fine. Lawyers are scum bags.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]so... how many fails is it now? antenna, charger, screen, real time clock/alarm, overpricing,... my list of arguments is growing steadily![/citation]
Unfortunately, the character limitation of these forums doesn't allow for listing all the fails of Microsoft Windows. The thousands of security flaws, millions of viruses, BSOD's, ping of death, Windows Mobile, Windows ME, Microsoft Bob, Vista, Kin, etc. etc.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Actually, yes.....this is common but rarely reported in the news. The auto insurance companies who paid out, were repaid.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Square_Head[/nom]The magsafe connector is amazing. It has saved my laptop dozens of times. Just like anything else. If the people who buy it use it improperly or neglect and damage the connector then its their fault. I'm so sick and tired of people suing over "design defects". One plug was screwy, so what? There are millions of other plugs that are working fine. Lawyers are scum bags.[/citation]

What evidence do you have that it was used improperly or neglected? As the article said there is "numerous snapshots of the accessory in various states of heat-related damage are available on flickr and Google Image Search.". It doesn't sound to me like it's an isolated incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.