Apple Threatens Steve Jobs Doll Manufacturer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usfs

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
New Steve Jobs Action Figure!
Insult fans and consumers with real Action phrases.

Steve: Your Holding it wrong!

Steve: Please leave us alone!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]I'm already on pre-order. I want a couple of them to burn in my fireplace. I love the smell of burnt apples.[/citation]

All I can say is if any gets one don't ever open the package and be sure to save it.
It will be worth a lot of money someday as a collectors item (Yes,even to laugh at).

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I would think Steve Jobs would be a "public figure". And as such, is open to this kind of stuff. You cannot do it to a "private person".

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]I would think Steve Jobs would be a "public figure". And as such, is open to this kind of stuff. You cannot do it to a "private person".[/citation]Especially since it's not particularly insulting.

Now if it came with accessories like, say, half-eaten baby corpses, a pentagram base, or other such depravity, then sure, Steve himself could sue for libel. This one was made by fans for fans, so there's no room to whine about defamation.

If they removed all traces of Jobs' name and the Apple trademark from the figure, changed the likeness ever so slightly, and sell it as "The Magical Innovator" or something non-specific like that, they could probably get away with it. Small toy companies do that all the time- most Hollywood and many Chinese and Japanese action movie stars have an unofficial likeness out there.

The main issue really is the use of Apple and Jobs' names to sell this figure, both explicitly (by naming the sculpture) and tacitly (by selling it in a store that specializes in Apple gear). Outside of those things, Apple has no case.

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]In Islam, you are not allowed to draw Mohammed as it is considered a desecration of a holy symbol in their faith.Anyone seeing a similarity?[/citation]

I have been traveling back and forth from Saudi Arabia and Canada for business. i have Visited some temples in Bahrain. Now this is as i understand. The Muslim and Islams do not believe in pictures in religion. they believe that god does not have a face.

Steve jobs is not Muslim and never will be, his view and statement on the world is for personal growth only. Steve jobs does not want to be a public figure. if you did he would not be standing behind his apple every time something happens. Ex apple is suing for misuse of personal property. so wait are the suing for the use of Steve jobs face or the iPhone in his hand. If Steve wanted to be a public figure would he not sue under his own name not his company.

Status
Not open for further replies.