Apple to Build Biggest Ever Store in Grand Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
hmmmm, still havent been to the new store in covent garden. might have to go check it out.
i dont own any apple products, dont even plan on getting any, but i have made use of the free internet/computer access in various apple stores to kill time instead of loitering outside.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
It blows my mind how apple can have successful retail stores like this because in reality, they don't have that many products. Most stores sell hundreds and hundreds of different products. I can't even think of 40 apple products.

Not to mention everything is overpriced. Whatever, damn hipsters.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]People won't be going to church on sunday. They'll go to apple stores[/citation]
church is for people that can't control their lives....who needs that crap

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]It blows my mind how apple can have successful retail stores like this because in reality, they don't have that many products. Most stores sell hundreds and hundreds of different products. I can't even think of 40 apple products.Not to mention everything is overpriced.[/citation]

It is called product branding, innovation, and good marketing. Why do you need a ton of products to be successful? MS has very few apps, Apple has maybe 25 products...if that...yet, they make money. When GM was spread out they ran into all kinds of financial problems. Once GM cut several models/divisions, then they began to see profits.

[citation][nom]amk09[/nom] Whatever, damn hipsters.[/citation]

Ah, stereotyping is alive and well.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]It is called product branding, innovation, and good marketing. Why do you need a ton of products to be successful? MS has very few apps, Apple has maybe 25 products...if that...yet, they make money. When GM was spread out they ran into all kinds of financial problems. Once GM cut several models/divisions, then they began to see profits. Ah, stereotyping is alive and well.[/citation]

Exactly. Sometimes having a simple line-up of products just works. Plus I can easily name all of Apple's main products off the top of my head, so obviously their marketing team is doing something right.
Plus they are great at innovating. Granted, they do not use the most powerful pieces of hardware, and a good chunk of their product lineup is overpriced. But when you have an awesome marketing team, a good brand following, and new fresh ways to approach common tasks, people won't care if they are slightly overpriced.

Having said that, the only thing I have ever bought from Apple (and will continue to buy) is their Macbook Pro lineup. They're great laptops, and unlike their iMacs, they aren't horribly overpriced. The Unix-based OS is extremely handy for me as I run many unix-based programs, as well as X11 into various Linux/Unix servers. Plus I use Final Cut Pro on a daily basis.

mados123

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
If all this does is generate more traffic with distracted and oblivious, ear bud wearing fools, and which will further impede my ability to go from the train to the subway or exit, then I am going into fullback mode while singing the YouTube favorite for carnage and wreckage videos, "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor!"

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Guess Apple needs to find a way to spend more money, too much cash sitting around doing nothing. First, try to cut off the supply of monitors to the rest of the market by spending over $5 billion. Next, open the biggest Apple store in one of the most expensive locations possible. What next? Start overcharging for their products to pay for it all? Oh right, never mind. I forgot...

nokz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]church is for people that can't control their lives....who needs that crap[/citation]
Apple is for people who want their lives controlled....who needs that crap

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]People won't be going to church on sunday. They'll go to apple stores[/citation]
They should just convert Apple to a church so user can have the best of both worlds and
worship good ol Stevie! Rather than raising candles, they can raise their iPods with a candle picture in it. :p

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I Think apple is about to blow a whole heap of cash. If its successful however, in that environment it will pay for itself after a few months.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Maybe or Maybe not good for Apple,but what about all those loyal apple resellers that have smaller retail outlets...They will no doubt suffer a certain percentage of loss of income due to this new apple store & also in other countries like Sydney,Australia where there are quite a few apple resellers close to where they stuck a large apple store in George St,Sydney & even within the city it's self...

Status
Not open for further replies.