Apple to Unlock iPhone's/Touch's FM Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Is this app going to cost anything? If so, that is ridiculous to charge for the ability to use hardware you already paid for.[/citation]
I've got a Touch, they did it with Bluetooth no reason not to do it again.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I've also got a touch. I held off on OS 3 because I simply didn't need most of the functions it offered, and the few I cared about (copy/paste mainly) I wasn't about to shell out more money for (my freaking 1-bit Palm had that). I finally bought it a couple days ago because Apple had lowered the price to $4.95. I still feel ripped off, but at least they only got half as much of my money. Unless Apple has something else *really* compelling, I intend to wait for the price cut again.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]o_O why did it take so long for this?[/citation]Its Apple. They like making things and figuring out how it works later. They get away with it because of the blind fanboys who buy every product with an half eaten apple on it.

They are unlocking it as a hit against the Zune HD. They will charge you for the update. The fanboys will rave the radio interface is innovative. Some will even say it reinvents the radio (the best thing for radio since the transistor). A Tom's writer will say that last one.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
wtf? really, you spend like 2 grand on a phone/contract then you gotta pay extra to use the hardware. I bet iMacs can do bluray, it'll just cost another $500

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Zune has already had that for ages, plus now they have HD radio!

I don't have one myself (although I'd like a Zune HD when I can afford it), but this was one of the major selling points made for the Zunes.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
built in transmitter is pretty cool though - if you need it for your car etc i bet the 'cost' of the upgrade is less than one of those tunecast devices - and a hell of a lot neater....

On a side note - I was bored on a night shift last night looking at the apple (uk) ad with an iphone and "16 More ways to get things done" I added up the cost to be over £100 for the apps they listed!

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Here's the anaology for you less technically inclined people:

You were born with a penis/vagina....Steve Jobs charging you for using it regardless of what *use* that might be.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ah I love my Zune, at least I don't have to pay to have them unlock "features".

However I give it a few weeks maybe days after the "app" is released before they hack it. But the the iPhoners it will void their warranty...

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
wow, song tagging! So you can just tag it and download it off itunes! How innovative, why didn't anyone else think of this!

Oh wait, my Zune HD has exactly this with zunepass. But I'm sure apple will say they came up with the idea.

And as for the FM transmitter built in to the device, I don't think that's possible to enable. The device would have to have been approved for that use by the FCC before they would have been allowed to sell it, and the FCC usually won't certify a device for a functionality without having seen it....you know, functional. Especially not a device which broadcasts on allocated bandwidth.

G

lol, Cyprod, you're such an idiot, where does it say that Apple thinks this idea is theirs? Where does it say how original it is? Yes, there are many apple fanboys out there, but the apple hateboys are so much worse, all you people do is bitch and moan about apple fanboys, just stfu and ignore them, so goddamn annoying, putting words in peoples articles or mouths.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]BallistaMan[/nom]I've also got a touch. I held off on OS 3 because I simply didn't need most of the functions it offered, and the few I cared about (copy/paste mainly) I wasn't about to shell out more money for (my freaking 1-bit Palm had that). I finally bought it a couple days ago because Apple had lowered the price to $4.95. I still feel ripped off, but at least they only got half as much of my money. Unless Apple has something else *really* compelling, I intend to wait for the price cut again.[/citation]
Well I upgraded mine the hacker PC/Unix way, not really. I just found the Firmware hosted on a website and downloaded it. I was just angry at the whole lets charge em 9.95 for the features it already has thing.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I have to say its pretty interesting that the 3G and 3GS have FM transmitters as well as recievers. I would love to be able to boradcast locally on FM so that I could have my iPhone play songs in my car.

Also would be interesting if the reciever/transmistter could work on the VHF bands used in aviation or boating. Granted the transmitter wouldnt be that powerful or of any use really, but in the case of electrical failure or radio failure in my plane, would be cool to be able to at least have receive capabilities.

G

When do you think this fm radio will actually get on to the itouch?

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Do you smell VAPORWARE?!? It's been 6 months and Apple and websites like Tom's have ticked off a lot of people with false hope. Perhaps this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.